There may be a higher-end APS-C mirrorless announced in late 2020, early 2021 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon has plans to announce a “high-end” APS-C camera in late 2020 or early 2021. Product launches are obviously affected by the current global landscape.
What I cannot figure out from the bits of information that I have received is whether or not this camera has an EF-M mount or an RF mount.
One source claims the new APS-C camera will basically be an “EOS R6 with a small sensor”, but the source hasn’t responded for clarification about what mount the camera would be equipped with.
Canon will also likely release an RF 18-45mm IS STM lens in the first half of 2021, which hasn’t historically been a focal range for a full-frame camera. I am not suggesting that there will be an RF-S mount, but something relatively inexpensive to stick to the front of an APS-C equipped EOS R camera makes some sense, but I’m just hypothesizing here.
One thing multiple sources seem to agree with is...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
D

Deleted member 381342

If they are doing this, why not give it the R5 body and weather sealing. Forgive me is I am mistaken, but a high end APS-C body would mostly be for wildlife guys with a 100-500mm lens permanently attached and having a wee wade through a humid environment or even a swamp.

I would be happy taking a 7dII or 1D body into the wild, but one with (in Canon's words suggesting inferior) 6 series weather/environmental sealing.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Wasn't there a rumor a while back about a new M-series camera placed above the M6II? Maybe this is it. Honestly the M6II is great in actual use. Two things missing that make it lackluster and unsuitable as a replacement for the 7DII - not the most robust build (don't mean size), and more importantly the lack of tracking options/cases to make it suitable for tough situations like BIF.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
How much MP can we expect? A new 24MP would be sweet! But maybe they will use the 30MP of the 90D/6MII?

The 32MP is an excellent sensor, gives a nice amount of croppability, and Canon's new tech should be plenty fast enough for wildlife/sports—after all, the M6II already shoots at 14fps with the mechanical shutter, handily beating the 7D2!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Seams weird to do a high end APS-C camera as an M camera as the native lens options are limited. M line up is saved by the Sigma primes.
RF mount sounds more likely given the lens selection. Yes, I know you can adapt on the EF-M mount, but still.
I agree. For what they would want to charge for it and the size to make it weather sealed, rugged, etc., it really doesn't "fit" the M Series line very well. I can see it as an R series and few or NO APS-C lenses in RF mount ever made for it. Just assume owners will use full frame RF mount lenses or adapt older APS-c lenses.

Many of the lenses I use on my 7Dii (and all of the better glass such as 100-400L, 70-200L, 300L) are full frame.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The $64,000 question: will they follow suit with Nikon and Sony and make smaller/lighter/cheaper APS-C sized RF lenses to go with it?

If they don't, it's Canon's way of saying 'FINE. Here's your damn 7D3, you guys never stop asking for it!' but birders/wildlifers lose their mirrors.

If they do, yowza -- it would mark the beginning of the end for both EF-M *and EF-S* mount bodies.

- A

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm cancelling my pre-order. I can wait another year with my existing 7Dii to get a camera that better meets my needs. R5 sounds great, but really a lot for what I need.

I could see an APS-C R7 style costing well over $2,000, but that is better than $3,900 for R5.

I've got a 7D II also, and I didn't place any preorders. I'd thought about the R6, but I need more pixels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I kind of wonder what this means for EF APS-C. I figured Canon would continue that because it draws a lot of customers, but if APS-C on RF mount or in R body style becomes a thing, maybe Canon is considering a larger pivot to mirrorless. The EF-M transition pathway to RF is obviously much more clunky than EF-S to EF was, so there is reason to consider that path.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0