There may be a higher-end APS-C mirrorless announced in late 2020, early 2021 [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Providing that Canon made quick on-the-fly setting adjustments as easy and intuitive to achieve as they are on their more "serious" DSLRs, I for one would be happy to see that.
Agreed. When the 7DII was introduced, it was billed as a "mini 1Dx." An M7 would need to be a "mini R5" or maybe a "mini R1."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I only speak for me obviously but as a former 7D2 shooter I don't understand why people dwell on the crop bodies for wildlife. Aside from the extra reach (which I overcame using the 1.4X) I don't see the attraction. When I head out the door birding (which is almost what I do exclusively) I'm carrying the 5D4 or EOS-R.

They are superior than the 7D2 in every single way except FPS.

YMMV..

I had the same mindset as well, sticking with the 7D (and later 7D2) for action and wildlife even when I used 5D3 bodies for virtually all my other photography. Then eventually, I realized how much better the IQ was when using the 5D3, particularly at poorly lit ice shows. Once the 5D4 hit the streets, I gave up the 7D2 (and the 5D3 as well) and didn't look back. The 5D4 has proven to be an great all-purpose camera for me, with its extra pixels over the 5D3 making up somewhat for the loss of reach by giving up the 7D2.

If my 7D2 had more reliable AF, who knows - I might have kept it a little longer. Generally speaking, I have to admit that that camera for me was a bit of a disappointment...not much improvement over its predecessor in this regard...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It wouldn't be a 7D series in mirrorless form unless it was built like a tank, had dual slots with great sealing. It will cost more than the R6 without a doubt, if it doesn't it won't have all the aforementioned specs and will not be a 7D2 successor in ML form. So basically it should be the R5 sans video tech and other whatnots....needs 1DX3 AF. $2799, minimum.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I had the same mindset as well, sticking with the 7D (and later 7D2) for action and wildlife even when I used 5D3 bodies for virtually all my other photography. Then eventually, I realized how much better the IQ was when using the 5D3, particularly at poorly lit ice shows. Once the 5D4 hit the streets, I gave up the 7D2 (and the 5D3 as well) and didn't look back. The 5D4 has proven to be an great all-purpose camera for me, with its extra pixels over the 5D3 making up somewhat for the loss of reach by giving up the 7D2.

If my 7D2 had more reliable AF, who knows - I might have kept it a little longer. Generally speaking, I have to admit that that camera for me was a bit of a disappointment...not much improvement over its predecessor in this regard...

Absolutely agree on the 7D2 - a fast camera that for me was often too fast for the auto-focus system.

Upvote 0
I'd be happy either way - but I do really hope they give it an M-mount. Either way you look at it, there isn't a ton of affordable APS-C glass for either mount, but I feel like the M has the better chance to have that library extended. We DO already have amazing 22mm and 32mm primes, a couple more primes and a couple more solid zooms for that mount make more sense to me than building an APS-C lineup from the ground up, or forcing people to buy expensive full frame lenses when they won't be used as such for at least a couple years until they MAYBE upgrade to a FF option.

Frankly, all I need in an updated M camera would be an M6ii with a viewfinder, IBIS, and the 10-bit C-Log from the R6, which I think is very reasonable to ask for. There's plenty of things I think they could add to sweeten the deal, but that would make me plenty happy.

The appeal to the M series to me is its versatility. I can throw my 22mm on and have a jacket-pocketable point and shoot, or I can adapt my EF-S stuff to it and get some really solid professional work done. If I had full frame glass, they even make speedboosters I could use with it. So I'd love to hold onto the M system to keep that versatility. Throw in a battery grip and MOVE THE HDMI PORT OFF THE GRIP and I'd be over the moon.

Upvote 0
You don't. (Get a lens with a 140mm ep from a lens with a 73mm ep.)

800mm/11 = 73mm

With the 0.625X speedbooster the real focal length of the combination is reduced to 500mm.

500mm/73mm = 6.8 (f/6.8)

Then you put it on a 1.6X crop sensor and you get an "effective" 800mm f/6.8, not an "effective" 1280mm f/8.

But that doesn't even consider that the 800mm f/11 is already an RF lens with no extra room to place a speed booster between the lens flange and the body flange of an RF mount camera.
A bit ignorant here, but wont the speedbooster correct the light path for the correct flange distance? Or is it physically impossible?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
except that RF-S lenses would not introduce another mount, but fit the RF mount and could also be used on any FF R body in crop mode.
To what benefit? You already have bargain ff 600 and 800mm lenses, you already have crop camera pixel density in full frame and fast AF and fps. What would a crop sensor and lens setup in RF give you and Canon?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
except that RF-S lenses would not introduce another mount, but fit the RF mount and could also be used on any FF R body in crop mode.

Not going to happen. Canon already have two different lines of APS-C lenses, there's no way they'd confuse the market with a third range.

APS-C lenses are going to be EF-M mount in future, Full frame lenses RF mount.

Upvote 0
how many of the 7D users have moved to Full Frame? Probably none because they want APS-C sensor. So there is no need to be a path from a APS-C to FF, at least for those users.

This is actually a good point I hadn't thought of before - a lot of 7D fans talk about an upgrade path from APS-C to FF, yet they also want a new 7D, for themselves. So they didn't 'upgrade' to FF? Because if they had, they wouldn't much care if the 7D got a direct replacement.

• Haha
Upvote 0
So I think Canon would want to offer a budget entry-level camera for the R ecosystem.

Isn't that the RP? I can't imagine a new body would cost less than that, whatever sensor they use. And since an "R7" implies higher-end features (like AF, weathersealing/build quality) then it won't be a budget model.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Not going to happen. Canon already have two different lines of APS-C lenses, there's no way they'd confuse the market with a third range.

APS-C lenses are going to be EF-M mount in future, Full frame lenses RF mount.
Absolutely, new mount, not going to happen even if they do introduce an aps-c sensor to the R range which I seriously doubt but am intrigued by. 7d users would use RF glass rebel users will go M. Don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
This is actually a good point I hadn't thought of before - a lot of 7D fans talk about an upgrade path from APS-C to FF, yet they also want a new 7D, for themselves. So they didn't 'upgrade' to FF? Because if they had, they wouldn't much care if the 7D got a direct replacement.
I "upgraded" to FF - long-term (and very happy) 7D Mk II user, I decided to treat myself to a 1-Dx.

And much as I appreciate the 1-Dx (especially in low light - the extra stop or so over the 10,000 ISO practical upper limit for me with the 7D Mk II, has proven very useful) I really miss the resolution and effective reach of the 7D Mk II, so I still want a high pixel density crop-sensor upgrade too.

But...

If an FF camera was introduced that had a high enough pixel density to equate to a pixel density upgrade on a crop (without compromising on frame rate etc), that would do for me. But I'm in a position where I'm not overly constrained financially, so this might be a non-starter for others, because it would not be a cheap camera.

The point being that for me and people like me (I won't be alone in my preferences) there still isn't a crop-to-FF upgrade path that would satisfy what I want from such an upgrade.

Upvote 0
I "upgraded" to FF - long-term (and very happy) 7D Mk II user, I decided to treat myself to a 1-Dx.

And much as I appreciate the 1-Dx (especially in low light - the extra stop or so over the 10,000 ISO practical upper limit for me with the 7D Mk II, has proven very useful) I really miss the resolution and effective reach of the 7D Mk II, so I still want a high pixel density crop-sensor upgrade too.

But...

If an FF camera was introduced that had a high enough pixel density to equate to a pixel density upgrade on a crop (without compromising on frame rate etc), that would do for me. But I'm in a position where I'm not overly constrained financially, so this might be a non-starter for others, because it would not be a cheap camera.

The point being that for me and people like me (I won't be alone in my preferences) there still isn't a crop-to-FF upgrade path that would satisfy what I want from such an upgrade.

Apparently Canon are touting the R5 as capable of equalling the resolving power (if not the resolution) of the 5DsR, in which case it has the 'reach' of the 7D2, and it has a high fps, so that could be your best bet for now?

Upvote 0