There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I just remember the 7D2 vanishing overnight.

It was there, then it was gone.

Maybe the 5D4 will be a different story, but with the big push to mirrorless I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to the 5D4.
7D2 hasn't vanished, you can still buy it new today, so there's hope you can still get a new 5DIV for a couple more years at least.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
5DIV. FOUR. Remember that some Asians, because the number 4 is associated with death, are reluctant to name anything with a 4 in it or even to have a phone number with a four in it. It has been a few years now, but I vaguely remember a few posts wondering what number would follow the the 5DIII.

In any event, it appears the curse of the number four continues. Death for the full frame DSLR. (At least for the 5D series.)
This is why there are two readings for the number four, shi and yon. Whenever possible, people try to avoid using the deathy one (shi). The Japanese also have two readings for nine as one sounds like the word for agony and torture.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Even if Canon has not come out and announced that the R5 is the next generation of the 5 series, what is the R5 missing that would be in an 5d V other than EF mount, battery life and undefined EVF latency? You also have to ask what WOULDN'T be in the 5d V as you look at the 1d III being pushed by the R5/R6 (feature and AF, not build and other 1DX unique features) . As to pricing issues, the 5dIV launched in 2016 @ $3,499 which is $3,758 in 2020 dollars. This is the currency difference and may not reflect the additional development, manufacturing and logistics factored into the additional $241 sales price. Canon has at least given us a way to bridge from the EF to R platform which doesn't always happen in other industries.
Those three things are enough for many to stay with a mirror and the EF line. They're enough for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy investing in photography equipment to photograph stupid birds. Since our planet is literally dying, it could be argued that one day, in a not so distant future, people will be craving to experience the beauty, simplicity, calmness, and environment of birds in an attempt to desperately capture that fragile world with photography / videography once again. By then, it will be too late. Given that 200,000 Americans graduate with an MBA every year, with no guarantee of making money or being happy, one could argue that the illusion imposed by society to the individual seeking their dream to be 'successful and happy' via another expensive degree is a deceitful ploy. Happiness is all in the eye of the beholder, and for so many photographers around the world, the personal 'value' of photographing the beauty of wildlife cannot be measured equally with societal value. In the end, to each their own.

BILLIONS_FEWER_BIRDS_27961.jpg
1) I think you might have missed the [SARCASM] tag.
2) As your chart clearly shows, Canada Geese are taking over the world.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy investing in photography equipment to photograph stupid birds. Since our planet is literally dying, it could be argued that one day, in a not so distant future, people will be craving to experience the beauty, simplicity, calmness, and environment of birds in an attempt to desperately capture that fragile world with photography / videography once again. By then, it will be too late. Given that 200,000 Americans graduate with an MBA every year, with no guarantee of making money or being happy, one could argue that the illusion imposed by society to the individual seeking their dream to be 'successful and happy' via another expensive degree is a deceitful ploy. Happiness is all in the eye of the beholder, and for so many photographers around the world, the personal 'value' of photographing the beauty of wildlife cannot be measured equally with societal value. In the end, to each their own.

BILLIONS_FEWER_BIRDS_27961.jpg
My issue actually are largely with Philippine-based bird watchers who do not know how to mind their own business and want to fund raise off the work of people like me.

They meddle with the very legal activities of Philippine bird photographers who never had any intention to join them in spite of dozens of invitations to pay their fees and follow their rules. I only recognize Philippine law when I'm inside the Philippines and not silly birding rules imported from abroad.

When I go to places like Singapore, the US or Japan to go birding I comply with each respective country's national & local laws. Like in when I went to Smith Oaks Sanctuary in Texas. They had signs up saying that certain sheds and spaces may be reserved by other people and those who have not reserved cannot enter. Unusual rule but I respected and followed it.

They used my images in an unauthorized manner for their financial gain. Where are they when it comes to cock fighting? It harms more birds in 1 hour than any and all bird photographer could do in half a century.

I don't know about you but if you are used and abused by such persons would you be inclined to spend tens of thousands of $ on photographing birds? Their overreach impacted in my personal life. If I could get a DeLorean and travel back to when I was 27 I'd knock all my wisdom teeth out to put some sense into me not to go into birding.

My mother's dying wish is that I take up my MBA. My dad's wish is I take it up 2 years after graduating. Instead I went to one shithole to another to photographing birds when I should have graduated and make my own billion ₱ enterprise. Now with COVID-19... I'll have to delay it yet again.

There are millions of photographers who take photos of wildlife. Would my work be missed?

By the time everyone on this forum is dead new species of wildlife would evolve and taken the birds species' place. This has been happening for billions of years since the time of single cell organisms, first dinosaurs, saber-tooth tigers, homo erectus and homo superior. Anyone miss those fossils?

I get why you've replied that way based on the limited information I provided but birding cost me too much personally and it's an activity more suited for people 3x my age. My time was wasted and that's worth more than the tens of thousands of $ I spent on photographing stupid birds. The only females I met there were grandmas whose husbands wanted to face the birds than them.

If you did not encounter my problems then lucky you. The thing is I did.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I imagine the 90D was the litmus test to some extent, and the reports of people using loupes on the 1DX3 screen over the OVF cant have helped either.

" The Canon EOS 90D is a capable DSLR that happens to be at its best when used in live view mode."

I know DPreview isnt the best reference here, but that line in the review conclusion is probably why its not happening.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I went shooting the other day with the EOS R and the 5DSR. Using the 5DSR again after adapting to mirrorless was like going back to the stone age. I know there are plenty of people who love DSLRs, but no-way I'd ever go back to using one as my primary camera again.
Ive the EOS R and the
I went shooting the other day with the EOS R and the 5DSR. Using the 5DSR again after adapting to mirrorless was like going back to the stone age. I know there are plenty of people who love DSLRs, but no-way I'd ever go back to using one as my primary camera again.
Ive the EOS R and a 5DS. I like using the EOS R as a walk-around / landscape camera but it frustrates the hell out of me using it for portraits. The 5DS is so much better as a portrait camera than the EOS R and not just because it 50mp as opposed to 30mp.
I will be considering the purchase of the R5 but Im not getting rid of the 5DS just yet.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
I imagine the 90D was the litmus test to some extent, and the reports of people using loupes on the 1DX3 screen over the OVF cant have helped either.

" The Canon EOS 90D is a capable DSLR that happens to be at its best when used in live view mode."

I know DPreview isnt the best reference here, but that line in the review conclusion is probably why its not happening.

Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto) came to pretty much the same conclusion when he reviewed the 1DX Mark III. As much as some don't want to hear it, mirrorless technology has completely surpassed the DSLR.

Upvote 0
Along with a youtube video with the R5 & R6 and the 800mm f11. The animal eye detection looks pretty impressive.
R5 + 800/11 would be a dream setup for someone who shoots with a 5Ds R+ 800/5.6. The reach but at f/11 and yet less less weight and less price.

At $900 the 800/11 would be very easy to liquidate with only losing at most $200. That's lens rental money.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Well, first, Canon source apparently said no Mk V, not no DSLR, so responding as if there will be no option doesn't make total sense. Maybe a new DSLR line to combine several others as they shrink down that market offering. I could see a combo of the 5D line with its best features and the 1DX3 best features put into a new monster priced about the same as the R5 but with a higher resolution sensor.

For the future though, eventually the DSLR market will diminish way down to maybe one or two models at best. While I love my 5D4, I want to move in the direction of mirrorless for all the advantages, plus gradually shift to the new mount for all its advantages. So I am not sure resisting progress in this situation makes sense.

By the time we are another year or so down the road, power on these chips will drop again while doing the same job, and we may see 240fps EVF with even higher resolutions than 5.76M dots, and near zero lag (4ms or less should be imperceptible to human reaction time). Eventually the difference is going to be so slight from an OVF as to not matter for most applications. I'm sure glare and saturation will be improved as well too over time, though full optical will never look like EVF interpretation. For that reason, I must confess I don't like EVF for everything and wish there could be some kind of hybrid viewfinder that was optical when needed or wanted. I'm sure most of us can adapt to EVF as they improve.

Otherwise, the loss of the mirror system is a gain in pretty much every other way except maybe battery life, which I don't think will be that big a deal in most scenarios. I already have dummy batteries and 12V->8V converter cables with several sizes of 12V portable battery banks for time-lapse or other situations I want to shoot for a long while. It has been a way better option than grips and more batteries. Less weight, more power. With USB C power and charge option, I think a Li-ion grip with very extended life is now possible too, should Canon want to pursue.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Well, first, Canon source apparently said no Mk V, not no DSLR, so responding as if there will be no option doesn't make total sense. Maybe a new DSLR line to combine several others as they shrink down that market offering. I could see a combo of the 5D line with its best features and the 1DX3 best features put into a new monster priced about the same as the R5 but with a higher resolution sensor.

For the future though, eventually the DSLR market will diminish way down to maybe one or two models at best. While I love my 5D4, I want to move in the direction of mirrorless for all the advantages, plus gradually shift to the new mount for all its advantages. So I am not sure resisting progress in this situation makes sense.

By the time we are another year or so down the road, power on these chips will drop again while doing the same job, and we may see 240fps EVF with even higher resolutions than 5.76M dots, and near zero lag (4ms or less should be imperceptible to human reaction time). Eventually the difference is going to be so slight from an OVF as to not matter for most applications. I'm sure glare and saturation will be improved as well too over time, though full optical will never look like EVF interpretation. For that reason, I must confess I don't like EVF for everything and wish there could be some kind of hybrid viewfinder that was optical when needed or wanted. I'm sure most of us can adapt to EVF as they improve.

Otherwise, the loss of the mirror system is a gain in pretty much every other way except maybe battery life, which I don't think will be that big a deal in most scenarios. I already have dummy batteries and 12V->8V converter cables with several sizes of 12V portable battery banks for time-lapse or other situations I want to shoot for a long while. It has been a way better option than grips and more batteries. Less weight, more power. With USB C power and charge option, I think a Li-ion grip with very extended life is now possible too, should Canon want to pursue.
At this point does it even make sense for Canon to come out with any new DSLR? The heart of any ILC camera system is the lens selection, and if Canon isn't making any more new EF lens updates, why buy into obsolecense? The only reasons I can think of are price and aversion to EVF.
I doubt Canon would want to go the value route (RP already $900) so why would Canon do this?

Upvote 0