Industry News: Nikon announces the entry-level full-frame Nikon Z 5, a new lens and teleconverters

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I found the Sony 1.4x TC to be comparable to the Canon version III, which is to say excellent. Both were noticeably better than the Sigma TC. But on the 2x versions, the Sony was slightly worse than the Canon, and both degraded quality noticeably. When shooting Canon, I'd occasionally (when reach limited) use the 2x. I learned not to use the Sony one at all, as image quality would be best with the 1.4x and cropping.

Of course, that's just my copies of them.
The bird shooters regularly use the 2xTC on the 200-600mm, and it is very sharp at 1200mm. Were you using the latest 2xTC and if so on which lens as the lens used can be important? There is copy variation with TCs that I have seen.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Looks like a nice camera for the money. Canon will have to update the RP.
No it won't - the RP didn't suddenly get worse for the release of the Z5, and the imagined pool of photographers who aren't in either camp, and are looking to buy in with an FF camera, is vanishingly small - if it exists at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
No it won't - the RP didn't suddenly get worse for the release of the Z5, and the imagined pool of photographers who aren't in either camp, and are looking to buy in with an FF camera, is vanishingly small - if it exists at all.

I'll go with "vanishingly small" rather than nonexistent, since I happen to be in that camp. I just yesterday ordered an RP+24-105 refurb, and if it arrives before my R5 preorder, it will be my first full frame ever. I didn't even THINK of switching to Nikon or some other brand for this.

(On Second Thought--by "not in either camp" you may have meant not owning ANY equipment from either company at all, in which case, you might be right about non-existent.)

Upvote 0
I know people are clamoring for Nikon to release more lenses and I'm sure those will come. Nikon needed a this as a stop-gap to prevent (or minimize) people buying the older Sony A7 models then sticking with Sony later when they upgrade. Canon did the same thing with the RP. Nikon just offered a really nice stills camera that will suit the vast majority of buyers interested in a camera at this price point.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
This Nikon is a nice little camera. It has one improvement over the RP that I find relevant for my needs: it has a 1/8000 shutter while the RP has 1/4000.

For those of you looking for more info on the RP. I've had it since launch and it's a great LITTLE camera that fits my needs.

I was looking for a small camera as I go on multi-day mountain bike trips. Before the RP, I had the 5D II for several years.... So I know what a "pro" camera is. The problem with these "pro" cameras, for me, is that they are so freaking big and heavy. I've biked across a few countries, on off-road bike trails, lugging my 5DII and every single time I pulled it out of my CamelBak I thought: man, I love these pictures, and man, this camera is heavy.

The RP fits so much nicer in my CamelBak, and I've been taking it on many more bike rides because of that. Ive taken it on vacations with my wife and the conversation of "who is going to carry the camera" is not even an issue anymore.

I can see how this Nikon would fulfill the same needs and I think it's great there are other smaller full-frame cameras coming out.

Although I dabble in the video world, I'm not a "pro" and the lack of video features don't really bother me. I'm actually not a pro in anything, really, I consider myself more of an artist than a pro.

My dad has an XT3 and although it's a great camera, it's not full-frame. I do see a difference in approach between aps-c and full-frame and my approach is definitely more full-frame.

Ok, this is getting pretty long and only a total of 5 people will read this. If you are thinking about buying this Nikon or the RP, go ahead, don't think it's a stupid camera because of the stupid reviews.

If you have questions about the RP, let me know, I can probably answer some of your questions.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I am keeping my feet in both camps. Canon don't have a super light 500mm f/5.6 prime and Nikon don't have a lovely collection of tilt shifts nor that little fat 70-200

Yeah, I'm really hoping Canon can make a lightweight RF 300mm f4 and 500mm f5.6, like the Nikkor PFs. I don't want to haul around a 300mm f2.8 or a 500mm f4.0, nor do I want to spend that much on lenses. However, I will happily pay $2,000 for a 300mm f4 and $3500 for a 500mm f5.6, if they can get the size down like the Nikkors.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Yeah, I'm really hoping Canon can make a lightweight RF 300mm f4 and 500mm f5.6, like the Nikkor PFs. I don't want to haul around a 300mm f2.8 or a 500mm f4.0, nor do I want to spend that much on lenses. However, I will happily pay $2,000 for a 300mm f4 and $3500 for a 500mm f5.6, if they can get the size down like the Nikkors.

The 500mm f/5.6 or even if the price is under £10,000 a small fat 500mm f/4 would be ideal for me. I had the prior 300mm f/4 and it was long and slender and never felt too heavy or wrong in the hands. I think we'll seem more zooms first, Canon seem to be trying lots of new lenses. It'll be interesting to see what comes out next year, though I wish they had some sort of roadmap so we know when is a good time to jump into the system. As it stands RF only has the 100-500mm in the range I care about, but it is at a time I am really wanting to buy a big prime to start off the decade.

Upvote 0
Nikon still makes cameras? Holy cow! Who knew?

Nudge me when something interesting happens. Imma go stare at my 'backordered' R5 invoice.

surely you can find better use for your time than that. clicking the refresh Icon on your browser hoping the R5 manual will magically appear for example.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0