Adobe has released DNG Converter 12.4 Beta, adds EOS R5 and EOS R6 support

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Adobe has released a beta .DNG converter for .CR3 files from both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6.
Support for the following cameras has been added. Visit the Camera Raw page for a complete list of supported cameras.

Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R6
Nikon Z 5
Panasonic LUMIX DC-G100 (DC-G110)
Skydio 2
Sony ZV-1 (DCZV1/B)

You can download Adobe DNG Converter 12.4 Beta here.

Continue reading...

What's your guess on how long 'til we see Lightroom Classic support of native R5 & R6 CR3's?

Yeah same thoughts here. Not LR Classic, they should add the R5 and R6 to Adobe Camera RAW after which it'll be available in both PS and LR. But DNG converter? Come on!

Upvote 0
I used the DNG converter, to compare existing .CR2 files from my 7D mark II. I then compared that the dng was softer than the original. While it appears to have a smaller file size and would safe space. it does not seem as crisp as te original? Is this Normal?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I used the DNG converter, to compare existing .CR2 files from my 7D mark II. I then compared that the dng was softer than the original. While it appears to have a smaller file size and would safe space. it does not seem as crisp as te original? Is this Normal?

Double check that the (un)sharpening settings in your viewer of choice are the same. My install of Lightroom will add a bit of sharpening for RAW files, but not for TIFF files. I don't know if that's the default or a misconfiguration on my part, but it did cause similar headscratching as you describe.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
The latest Raw Image Extension in the Microsoft Store lets me see thumbnails for all my RAW files from 5D4, EOS R, etc.(CR2 & CR3) in Windows 10.
Whoa, it never occurred to me that something extra needed to be downloaded; here I've been grumpily waiting for that to come along via Windows update. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Meanwhile, still no Camera Standard RAW Profile support in Adobe Lightroom for the EOS RP.
Does anybody like any Adobe profile, least of all the ones trying to emulate Canon's own? On the rare occasions I want Canon colors I shoot RAW and large jpeg and just send the jpegs.

But as I always say, it is simplicity itself to make your own custom profiles, you don't need anything new, additional, or extra, just have an out of camera jpeg and RAW on screen in Develop module together in reference mode and adjust the RAW to the jpeg then save those develop settings as a preset.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Does anybody like any Adobe profile, least of all the ones trying to emulate Canon's own? On the rare occasions I want Canon colors I shoot RAW and large jpeg and just send the jpegs.

But as I always say, it is simplicity itself to make your own custom profiles, you don't need anything new, additional, or extra, just have an out of camera jpeg and RAW on screen in Develop module together in reference mode and adjust the RAW to the jpeg then save those develop settings as a preset.

Yes, I and many other users do like Adobe’s emulations.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I almost always convert my 5DsR RAW files to dng on import into Lightroom. I've looked very closely and can't see any loss in quality. I normally shoot cRAW with the R and don't see any loss in quality compared to RAW. The dng versions are actually bigger than the original cRAW, so I don't convert.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, I and many other users do like Adobe’s emulations.
Personally I don't find Adobe's emulations particularly bad but I have never thought of them as particularly accurate to Canon originals either, which I tend to prefer. Indeed I find one of the major improvements in cameras over the last two or three generations has been the jpeg output, if I am happy with exposure I am often happy with OOC jpegs.

But to my second point, it is simplicity itself to make your own version of any profiles that might be 'missing'.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0