and the EF-S lenses
and a better EVF
and more FPS
and two memory card slots
and limited 8K
and tilty flippy versus tilty
and eight stops versus 5 stops IBIS combined

little things.

Exactly, the list is long. Add better autofocus, better video, lower light focusing. Also some prefer the ergonomics of Canon. Also the Z7 has been out a while and launched at $3,400. The Canon is at release price.

Also Canon has an arguably more stable future and better all around system of complimentary lenses and cameras. All camera companies are struggling, but Canon at least makes their own sensors, while most others buy from Sony. This allows Canon to innovate directly and come up with stuff like DPAF. So a camera system and it's future are important to consider. To those over simplifiying: stop comparing spec sheets and start thinking! Take these cameras out for a rental and turn off youtube loud mouths make up your own minds.

Hopefully soon we can stop with the unrealistic comparisons. The R5 is the MILC 5D4 successor and is a stills camera with amazing video as a bonus. It is priced appropriately if the comparisons are made fairly. If you are a video blogger, wedding or event shooter, corporate or whatever VIDEO shooter who needs to shoot continuously at ridiculous bitrates, stop comparing the R5 and R6 and go buy a dedicated video camera.

Or if you really think you can have it all in one (amazing stills and leading video) you are in for a wakeup. All of these companies are putting out great purpose built cameras. There isn't a camera truly great for stills and cinema like video yet, but the R5 is darn close.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I’m very excited about that crop mode, it should work wonders for my attempts at shooting macro videos.
Because if your camera is the king of low light, you simply add an extender whenever you need the extra reach. 12MP should give them something good in the low light realm. It is the actual advantage of this camera. If you don't shoot low light, then you spend $3500 only to get 4K120 and a menu. This is why I am surprised with Youtuber's hapiness with this camera. They use lighting in their studio, then why is this a great camera? $3500 for a 4K120?
But, I agree. The 1.6 crop on the R5 is something extra that you don't have to pay or carry in your bag additionally.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
As an almost 100% stills shooter, I'm glad I don't have to worry about whether the A7s3 or the R5 is the best video camera, as it looks like if you're only into 4K video and don't care about build quality of bodies & lenses or high quality stills or in-hand ergonomics then the A7s3 might win after all - time will tell.

I do commend Sony for *finally* having a fully articulating screen on their high-end body. That's 1 thing that by itself kept me away from Sony before. That might mean that their future A7r5 will have one as well, which will be great if it happens. Sony did have the same high speed card slots which is good, although I hear they are of a lesser value format. I wonder if Sony had a big improvement in their menu system, as it really needs it. I'm glad Sony has a much higher res EVF, as it will pressure Canon to up their game there yet again in the future.

I'm still going to get the R5 and some of their great RF lenses, and look forward to better ergonomics and high quality stills images and better build quality in their bodies and lenses. I assume Canon will come out with a new 85?MP body within about a year and I hope that gives them enough time to see what they need to learn from Sony so that it can be better than the R5 in the other areas of importance, and I plan on getting one when it comes out so I'll have 2 bodies (which is all I will want).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Well one thing is that its usable and reliable for video shooters LOL. No record limit. No Overheating. No line skipping on 4k unlike Canon's LQ 4K. Canon's 4KHQ & 8K Raw are much more detailed, although less dynamic range, but it doesn't matter. It is not reliable and could ruin a day of shooting. Could be a great crash cam though, especially at 8K res. R5 is an amazing stills camera and I wanted it to be my hybrid work horse to compliment my cine cam but... I need a reliable tool for content. A7S3 is an amazing video camera from what I've seen.

Is line skipping 4k on an 8k 45 MP sensor really going to be lower quality than non-line skipping 4k on a 12 MP sensor?

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Is line skipping 4k on an 8k 45 MP sensor really going to be lower quality than non-line skipping 4k on a 12 MP sensor?

You can see a clear difference between the modes on the R5. In 4K-HQ the Canon is gonna be about the sharpest 4K you'll ever see. The standard quality is very middle of the pack.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I still feel like OVERALL the R5 is a better camera. Yeah the 4K at 160fps on the Sony or at 60fps doesn’t overheat, but if I’m not mistake, neither does the canon when you don’t shoot in High Quality and over sample. Plus the R5 is a far better stills camera. Yeah the Sony is a low light beast, but the R5 is much better at stills. I’d even go as far to say that the R6 has better quality 4K at 60fps. they both have their advantages but i feel like the Sony would leave you wanting a lot more

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An R5 shooter doesn't have that option right now. In the past, you could do lean on Canon stills and Sony video, all using EF. But as EF shooters move to RF, that flexibility is gone. You start to look a lot more locked in to your system, and the Sony system is finally looking attractive.

LOL!
The best part of the R5, R6, R,.... is that you can use EF lenses and they work even better than on the EF bodies.

You are simply talking bs

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

LOL!
The best part of the R5, R6, R,.... is that you can use EF lenses and they work even better than on the EF bodies.

Believe they are referring to a new EOS R system user with only RF glass. Does suck to be invested in only RF glass if you are primarily a video shooter. Hopefully whatever video camera is around the corner will alleviate that burden.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
LOL!

I said "as EF shooters move to RF" you lose the flexibility to shoot your glass on both Sony and Canon bodies. It's not BS, it's planning a multi-year purchase. Didn't say anything about EF lenses not working well.

Apologies if that was unclear.

Upvote 0
And the battle begins!! :D :D :D

First thing let me say the most important! I hope a lot of guys cancel the preorder ate least in my country so I can get an R5 faster!! :D :D :D

- Sony A7S3 is out and of course, being a video-centric camera overall is a better camera than the EOS R5 for video. But....Is it really? Let´s resume this thing...Or like some youtubers: "Let´s get into it!" :D (thumbs up ordinary filmmaker!)

Canon EOS R5 is a BETTER camera! Period. If you combine all the things Canon has the advantage!

Yes, Sony 4k@120fps looks a bit better (but let´s get real you will not notice on a video)!
Yes, Sony has some advantage in "regular 4k" but again i don´t see many difference (despite the mushy muddy, wooshy or whatever Northrup uses to describe! )
Yes, Sony has some videocentric characteristics like relay recording
Yes Sony is much better than the EOS R5 in low light. A dealbreaker? NO, not to me! And specially no if you also get the EOS R6.
Yes Sony has 4k120fps RAW over HDMI. And this is for me the only thing I wish in EOS R5 (and less overheating of course)

But....and here comes the BIG BUT! (Not the big butt...don´t get crazy! :D

Canon 4k HQ is better than Sony
Canon 8k is better than Sony
Canon 4k120 is not so good but almost the same
Canon AF is way better
Canon Stills are way better
Canon IBIS is Way better
Canon bitrate is way better
Canon weather sealing is way better
Canon external recording allows you to record up to over 3 hours of 4k60 without overheating!!

So....the only thing canon needs to do is to find some way of extending record time without overheating and Canon beats Sony in almost everything. Not to mention the beautiful Canon color!!

And this is it! Please Canon find some way to reduce the overheating and I will have THE PERFECT CAMERA!!! :D

OHHHH EDIT! : And it looks like video in R6 is similar to the Sony A7s3 even in 25,600 ISO! :D Only difference? Overheating! So that´s the difference between the A7S3 and the Canon ones! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
How is that when the r6 and r5 have better 4k quality, am i missing something?

They don't have better anything, if they actually work when you need them. The sony's dynamic range at 102,000 is better than the canon at iso 100.

The Sony also destroys the canon in 120fps at 4k and offers 240fps in 1080. What does the canon do again? 60fps.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
In two posts you just demonstrated the problem with internet forums. What you say here is basically that different use cases require different tools. Based on your use cases a video-focused camera with minor stills capabilities is what you are looking for. Other people want to maximize the skills capabilities and will rarely, if ever, use the video capabilities. Everything you said was very reasonable. (I think you are exaggerating the "shoot 5 stills and the camera is too hot for video" situation but we"ll see I guess.)

Your other post was, and I quote, "Sony just shat directly down canons throat" which is ridiculous. It is that Sony fanboy vs Canon fanboy taunting which i find tiresome.

I currently have a 1DX (no marks) and am close to ordering an R5. In all the time I have owned the 1DX there was one moment (I saw a herd of deer on a hike) that I thought a video would be interesting. I realized in the field that I had no idea how to switch the 1DX to video. :oops: By the time I fumbled around with it the deer were gone. Clearly for my uses cases a camera that focuses on stills capabilities at the expense of video capabilities is the right camera for me. If I need to take a video my phone does a fine job as I'm only going to be texting it in most cases.

I'll take your points but let me ask you this, wouldn't you be frustrated at paying a premium for a 8k camera when you don't intend to use that feature at all?

Overheating aside I think this is where the r6 misses the mark, it should have had all the high end video features (to compete with the a7s) and left the r5 for stills guys like yourself which would compete with the a74

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
They don't have better anything, if they actually work when you need them. The sony's dynamic range at 102,000 is better than the canon at iso 100.

The Sony also destroys the canon in 120fps at 4k and offers 240fps in 1080. What does the canon do again? 60fps.
I watched a film once and the guy said: "that is the face of an angry man".
I am certain when I say: "that is is the text of an angry user". What did Canon do or didn't do that you hate them so much? It looks like you can't see anything good that Canon does and can do.
It looks like you wake up in the morning and say to yourself "it is a good day to blast at canon".

What I am asking is just a little respect to us readers, if you are capable.
Please!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I am certain when I say: "that is is the text of an angry user". What did Canon do or didn't do that you hate them so much? It looks like you can't see anything good that Canon does and can do.
It looks like you wake up in the morning and say to yourself "it is a good day to blast at canon".

Please!

Don't feed the troll.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I can honestly say I am going to buy this camera, Canon has officially shit the bed with a hybrid camera. If the 1DX didn’t have a record limit And 4k120 I would be purchasing that for a all around camera. This thing honestly looks Pretty amazing, I have been saying for a while along with many other people I don’t care about insanely higher resolutions just give us a really good 4K and I think Sony has delivered that, I will still keep my 1DC’s and a lot of my other stuff but this thing is going to be an awesome tool to have. It’s weird seeing canon push the envelope and have reliability issues and now we are seeing Sony becoming the reliable workhorse.

I can attest the 4k from the 1dx is pretty sweet. I am not a video guy, but starting to dabble. I don't know if I can post a YouTube video I shot, so I won't, but know processing and cut up with I-movie and I think it looks pretty sweet.

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
I'll take your points but let me ask you this, wouldn't you be frustrated at paying a premium for a 8k camera when you don't intend to use that feature at all?

Overheating aside I think this is where the r6 misses the mark, it should have had all the high end video features (to compete with the a7s) and left the r5 for stills guys like yourself which would compete with the a74
Do I wish (some) cameras were more stills focused? Sure. But check these and other forums. Any suggestion of a stills-only or a 90% stills camera is met with "it literally costs nothing to include video! stop being selfish" and "why do you care if your stills camera can also capture video!?" There are always compromises when making a hybrid camera. A stills only camera wouldn't need an external mic jack, or an hdmi port. It wouldn't have to worry about heating issues at all (thankfully the R5 went weather sealing over vents). I am no expert but it seems the dream requirements for tech like IBIS and EVFs are slightly different for stills vs video. I'm sure a number of tradeoffs were made by Canon engineers when designing the R5.

But the truth is that the contracting ILC market can't support dozens of different models. Everything has to be hybrid to some degree. Canon's strategy seems to be to do kitchen sink hybrid cameras (R, RP, R5, R6) and dedicated video cameras (RF mount versions coming no doubt). Sony seems to have stills-focused hybrids and video-focused hybrids (forgive me, I don't know the model numbers...a lot of A's and 7's and R's and roman numerals). The only true stills only cameras out there are super high end and/or medium format territory things.

The Canon R5, while pricey, is not really out of line. As many have noted, the inflation adjusted numbers put the R5 and the 5D launch prices almost exactly equal. Personally for me (upgrading from a 1DX) the R5 gives insanely better AF, more than 2x the resolution, IBIS, and the temptation of swapping out shiny EF glass for even more shiny RF glass. I only hope I can swap slowly as this is just a hobby for me and I don't need to upgrade to anything.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020

Please!

i dont hate canon, i have been shooting canon since 2003, and i still have a 5d3. That said i am not loyal to any brand, i shoot sony, nikon and black magic as well. Canon dropped the ball here, if you cant see that youre just a fan boy.

Upvote 0