scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
A couple of wildlife shots with the R5/800mm combo (I couldn't put it down). These were taken at 1/200sec and 1/160sec, respectively. The crepe myrtle blur is due to wind and not camera shake. I am still extremely impressed with the IBIS/IS combo.

Not much done in post with the bee shot. By contrast, I tried to get the bluejay to look as good as possible. Even with a significant amount of post, I find the shot somewhat borderline. It is much, much better than nothing, but I don't think that I'm going to frame many if any shots with this lens unless the lighting is absolutely perfect. I keep wanting to set the aperture to a lower value (bigger aperture) then I remember that f/11 is all there is.

It is most definitely a fun toy. I want to get it out in the field to get a real comparison.

View attachment 191666View attachment 191667
Nice job. Thanks for posting. My grip shipped, but R5 still on Back Order. Keep posting please.
I ordered around the same time and am in exactly the same boat. At least we will have plenty of battery life--except we won't have any batteries either (at least not new ones).
Me too. Should "get a grip" by Wednesday.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Just got "The Call" Camera ready for pick up tomorrow at noon. I am off all next week (Suppose to be at an Airshow, but that is a....) still going to test the hell out of the Camera and will report back.
Congrats, good for you! Please post pics, indicate all info. Have fun!
Scot

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I ordered about 9 minutes after it went live. So at 7:09am Central time. Mine also went to processing and it charged my Payboo card (what a terrible name for a card haha) this morning.
I don't remember the exact time I placed my order. Is there a way to find it on any of the documentation?

Thanks.

Scott

Upvote 0
I’m with you (y)

I could’ve gotten an R5 shipped to me today as well as my go to shop had plenty, so no shortage there. I didn’t however as the exchange is horrible now making the camera at least $1000 (converted) more expensive than it should’ve been under normal circumstances.

I think the numbers reported by EOSHD is a lie, plain and simple .
My R5 actually shipped today from B&H and I'm tracking it thru FedEx with delivery Tuesday. I'm thinking about having them hold it at the FedEx office so I can pick it up Tuesday morning rather than waiting for the truck to show up. Not that I'm anxious or anything!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't remember the exact time I placed my order. Is there a way to find it on any of the documentation?

Thanks.

Scott
If they charged your card then it is being shipped so you should have it Tuesday. You can get the FedEx number off the order details to track it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
My R5 and 800mm f/11 just arrived in two humongous Adorama boxes. I ordered from Adorama at, I think, 8:05 am 7/9.

Camera looks great, and the battery is charging. It's been a while since I've purchased a Canon product, so seeing the jet black Canon boxes instead of the white and red ones of yore, was slightly unsettling (I guess I'm a traditionalist). The body is very "DSLR-like. I wouldn't recognize it as mirrorless by looking at it. It is noticeably larger than my A7rIII but not massively so. It is much smaller than my D850 (yes, I have entered the danger zone of three systems, but there is no way I'm giving up my 500mm pf anytime soon!). I was never one to complain about Sony ergonomics, but I suspect that using the R5 will feel a lot like coming home.

I was distressed to see that Canon is continuing its old practices of not including a lens hood with non-L lenses, grrr! B&H has one that fits the 800mm for $54. While not horribly expensive, if I keep the lens, I'll wait for 3rd parties to produce one. No tripod foot either. Instead, you can screw the tripod directly into the lens. it is extremely lightweight.

I need to get work done today, so that maybe I can go out tomorrow morning and see if the 800mm can keep up with osprey.
Congrats! How exciting. Post pics pls!
Scott

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Just saw on the main news page that someone got a response from Canon customer service that the second wave of R5’s won’t be coming until November. Glad I have my adapter and grip :ROFLMAO:

If I can confirm that I can’t get my hands on one until November at the earliest, I’ll probably just cancel my preorder and reorder it in the spring.
Why?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
If they charged your card then it is being shipped so you should have it Tuesday. You can get the FedEx number off the order details to track it.
Thank you. I'll be on the second round of shipments, hopefully NOT November.

Scott

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Ordered 7/9 at 6:02AM from BH Photo, moments into the pre-order. I kept refreshing the page until the pre-order button was active. Received 7/30 with typical overnight fast shipping.

At least a few people got theirs before me, I am guessing I was in the first 20% of BH orders but do not really know.

Also, people saying that if you got charged, it is definitely being shipped, how can you be sure? I was charged the moment I pre-ordered and waited until release for shipment. Perhaps BH had an exact known allocation, but I am hearing lots of stories of stores who asked for larger numbers than they could get.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Congrats! How exciting. Post pics pls!
Scott
Here you go. These are all with the 800mm f/11. I posted some osprey shots on Dpreview with the usual range of responses. I posted jpg shots, which it turns out are rather problematic with high-ISO images. Canon has always been rather aggressive in applying noise reduction, so there is more detail gone than I prefer. I prefer to have a slightly noisy image that preserves detail than the smoothness that Canon's jpg engine produces. Thus, at least for me, RAW shooting will be essential.

As for the fish eating shots, I unfortunately missed the catch. It probably took the great blue a good 10-15 min to get the fish into its throat.

Osprey-0995.jpgOsprey-1846.jpgOsprey-2056 copy.jpgOsprey-2153.jpgOsprey-1028.jpgOsprey-0915.jpgOsprey-0821-2.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I make my order in February by my local dealer. On Thursday he called me and told me that he'll send me the r5 and an adapter. No battery grip, no additional batteries.

I picked up the camera on thursday, and there were NO additional LP6ENHs, but the shop had seventy on order (and I certainly wasn't going to pay twenty dollars more to get the less-capacious LP-E6Ns, which they had plenty of). I went there yesterday to look at buying a CFexpress card, asked to be called when batteries came in...and it turned out they had two of them. Now, of course, they don't.

I have no idea whether I'll ever spring for the "cheap" grip; I can't imagine getting the one with the ports on it.

Upvote 0
Just got an email from a local store saying that someone had canceled their R5 order to get an A7SIII. So one has become available for me... I was originally planning on waiting a few months... but now it may only be a few days!

I am sure you'll be happy that you did not have to wait a few months. The Camera costs a lot but she is paying a lot of back. The AF is helping so much. One day in nature and my wife is in love with the camera. Take a look on this lovely picture, freehand made with 400DO x 1.4

DL the picture:

Upvote 0
I am sure you'll be happy that you did not have to wait a few months. The Camera costs a lot but she is paying a lot of back. The AF is helping so much. One day in nature and my wife is in love with the camera. Take a look on this lovely picture, freehand made with 400DO x 1.4

DL the picture:
Thanks for sharing the photo.. the autofocus nailed it! Were you using the animal eye AF?

My only concern is the overheating issues, but I hope I can work around those.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing the photo.. the autofocus nailed it! Were you using the animal eye AF?

My only concern is the overheating issues, but I hope I can work around those.

I need to say, that I did not know if my wife use in this picture the Animal AF. In the first Hours she had little problems with the new technic. ;)

I tryed the Animal AF in our garden, no sunshine, little litegrey birds - the Animal AF hit the eyes very exactly. When the birds start to fly, I often lost the fokus on the eyes. mybe the birds are to fast and it was to dark, there was no sunshine, but I used the 70-200 2.8 II wich is very good.

My Canondealer told me somethink about the overheating during they have tested the Camera in there own Studio: They did not have any problems with overheating.

Upvote 0