This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
1 . yes CF Express generates a ton of heat.
typical M.2 NVMe SSD using x3 PCI-E lane and CFExpress type B using 2X PCI-E lane if i remember correctly. although it only needs around 5-15 Watt for M.2 SSD, it does produce massive amount of heat.
thats why some fast & expensive VNMe SSD had heatsink on top of it. also consider how small the form factor of CFExpress type B is compared to M.2 SSD.

also user in another thread in this forum pointed out how NVMe may work on the camera, which is pretty similar with what we can found in our PC.

2. Most Likely
with how they place CPU & CFExpress slot, it probably is. but deliberately or not we didnt know for sure.

3. yeah same as i thought
I wasn't believing it could be possible but with all the investigative pressure maybe Canon will indeed be forced to make some modification since it appears it may be feasible.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Nope. Merely reading ones manual would be enough. It says operating temperature is 0-104 F. The overheat icons come on after 104 F is reached. Being smart enough not to let your device exceed operating temps is sufficient. I would never install that update if it took away my resolutions and frame rates that i PAID FOR because some people can't read a manual.
My sarcasm was too subtle. I wouldn’t do it, either

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
that layout tho, put the big hot CFExpress just beside the CPU is absolutely nightmare in my opinion. the heat are magnified by each other just by being used right?

Thats why some youtuber found that recording time extend by multiple time just by record externally without CFExpress inserted into camera body.
i think the board layout also affecting landscape photographer who wants to do long exposure photo. producing much more hot pixel in their image / dark frame.

overall im agree with what Kurt said. pretty sure canon is more than capable to deliver usable 8K DSLM . they can design the camera to well dissipate the heat . but as we know about canon, they wont sacrifice their other product line up.
clickbait

Upvote 0
Sure you’re right - but the idea is that these apps are pushing the mainstream audiences (the same mainstream who would’ve used point-and-shoots in the pre-smartphone-era) towards video. Pros in turn are also doing more video along with photos. I don’t think photography is decreasing or going away - it’s simply that videography is increasing - and with mainstream audiences doing cell phone videos it is only natural that pros will use pro equipment (ILC/DSLRs) to create their footage

Agreed :)

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Would like to here some more details about this. How many photos did you take before the overheating warning came up?
maybe a couple of hundred. it happened during my second shoot. there was break in between shoots. Maybe it was a glitch but it did pop up and stayed on screen.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Somewhat off-topic, but related to the discussion about video vs. stills in the current media landscape: I would honestly like to feel a bit less like a dinosaur and be able to embrace video, since apparently, many people find it more appealing than written information and/or still photography. However, I fail to grasp the appeal of many online videos; this is particular true of many youtube channels, where a lot of the content is simply someone sitting in a room talking about some topic that could also easily have been written down. These days, you can hardly find any product review, tutorial or whatnot that is not in video form. Most often I just don't see the added value, instead, for me there are typically several drawbacks:

* A written article is easy to cross-read and it is easy to skip the paragraphs that are clearly not of interest, because you can usually tell in a split second what a paragraph will be about - (almost) impossible in video. Usually you have to spend much more time watching parts of the video that don't actually interest you, because skipping parts is much more cumbersome.
* Quite frequently some tiny bit of information is blown up to several minutes of video - people just don't come to the point quickly - probably because otherwise, the videos would be too short. Also, in writing you can e.g. include a table or a chart with much more in-depth information than you could include in a video. In video, many times I find that the information stays more superficial.
* You need to carry headphones with you to be able to watch videos everywhere. In public transportation, or for that matter, in any public space, where I'd have the most spare time to do so, I can't watch a video without headphones because the sound would be disturbing to other people. Leaving headphones as another bothersome item to deal with.
* I cannot process the information in my own pace but am forced to listen in the talking speed of the presenter. Therefore, I frequently find myself having to jump back a few seconds in videos because I have missed a point, couldn't follow quickly enough, or (e.g. in tutorials) want to try the things myself simultaneously, which usually takes longer than the presenter takes to show them. In an article, it is easy to have it open side by side and simply follow instructions step by step. In video, I have to hop back and forth, and end up seeing the same portion of the video over and over again (also because hopping back is almost always not on point as well).

Of course I get the appeal of video for cinematography, any action videos, music or dance videos, wedding videos, wildlife action, etc. But for youtube content of the sort "person explaining/reviewing something that doesn't inherently require motion" - could someone enlighten me what the major benefits are? Maybe I have just been missing the point. Honest question.

I tend to agree with a lot of this.

I noticed people starting to do what in essence is a video of them giving a talk, rather than just writing it down, years and years ago. (And not just for photography/videography issues.) At least many of the photography/videography reviews don't just do talking head, they'll show you things (Fro goes to a lot of trouble to show you what's in his viewfinder, for instance), but these other guys did and it was usually a pretty unappetizing talking head, to boot.

A book review, for instance, is a poor candidate for a video; that's going to be a talking head. Sometimes said talking head can convey a lot with facial expressions and tone that would be lost in print, but 90% of the time, it's just a waste because the talker doesn't do these things well.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yeah, we do tend to pronounce it "lugzhuree", and exactly becomes "egzaktlee" (though for all I know Aussies do that latter one too). Alas consonants between two vowels tend to become voiced. When I stop and say them slowly I get "lukshuree" and "eksaktlee" and the first still doesn't sound terribly British.
Completely off topic but... We have our unique language too with clear city vs country dialects. It seems very hard for non-aussies to put on an aussie accent vs the many aussie actors who pull off US/UK accents. The Washington Post had Meryl Streep – "yes, with another perfect accent" (from an American perspective) in Evil Angels but it flopped in Australia as we couldn't bear to listen to it. The subtle nuances of "mate" is also confounding for non-locals. :)
https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/australia/articles/the-worst-australian-accents-in-film/

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Completely off topic but... We have our unique language too with clear city vs country dialects. It seems very hard for non-aussies to put on an aussie accent vs the many aussie actors who pull off US/UK accents. The Washington Post had Meryl Streep – "yes, with another perfect accent" (from an American perspective) in Evil Angels but it flopped in Australia as we couldn't bear to listen to it. The subtle nuances of "mate" is also confounding for non-locals. :)
https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/australia/articles/the-worst-australian-accents-in-film/
Not a very comprehensive list. I didn't see the Geico lizard on it.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

On a trip to Indonesia, one Indonesian (serving as our guide) opined that he couldn't understand Australians at all, but had no difficulty with Americans, Canadians and folks from the United Kingdom.

Personally I'm just glad Terry Irwin narrated parts of the Crocodile Hunter series; she did an excellent job of translating Steve Irwin's Australian into American English. :D

(All kidding aside, she wasn't saying redundant things, and Steve was fairly understandable but loaded with colorful (to me anyway) idioms.)

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Wow! That doesn't sound good at all. I really do hope it's a glitch because that is unacceptable.
it happened again today. i shot 223 photos. the heat thing popped up. Even though it doesnt overheat while taking photos i am assuming it means you have to take it easy when doing hybrid shooting.

Upvote 0
it happened again today. i shot 223 photos. the heat thing popped up. Even though it doesnt overheat while taking photos i am assuming it means you have to take it easy when doing hybrid shooting.

Thanks for the update. That's very strange indeed. Have you done a longer shoot yet to see if the camera will actually over heat? Mine just arrived today, and I usually take a couple of thousand photos on a shoot and would hate for it to shutdown on me...

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
The more reviews I read, the more convinced I am that the overheating messages coming up are not actually linked to the camera overheating! There seem to be too many people experiencing the warnings when the camera, card and battery are not hot and the camera hasn't actually shut down.

I hate to say it but maybe there is some truth in some theories that Canon have intentionally limited things so as not to affect other ranges and firmware upgrades could actually resolve things. I am purposefully not using the Cr****e h****r phrase but honestly, if this is true, it seems it is still active and well. :eek:

Upvote 0
The more reviews I read, the more convinced I am that the overheating messages coming up are not actually linked to the camera overheating! There seem to be too many people experiencing the warnings when the camera, card and battery are not hot and the camera hasn't actually shut down.

I hate to say it but maybe there is some truth in some theories that Canon have intentionally limited things so as not to affect other ranges and firmware upgrades could actually resolve things. I am purposefully not using the Cr****e h****r phrase but honestly, if this is true, it seems it is still active and well. :eek:
Let's hope if this is true that a firmware update will help the situation. Surely Canon is aware of the controversy

Upvote 0
My rule of life has been to under-promise and over-deliver - never had a research grant application turned down,
Much truth here. I learned that from Star Trek. :) Well you don't have to over-deliver. Just give them what you already knew you could, but make it seem like it was a greater achievement. When you rely on hype, like so many businesses do, you're inevitably going to disappoint.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Let's hope if this is true that a firmware update will help the situation. Surely Canon is aware of the controversy
They must be aware but if this is a deliberate strategy to dumb down the video side, I would like to think after the horrendous publicity this has generated, they will be on the side of purchasers and make some correction to retain goodwill and future launches but correcting it will be a complicated decision for the various departments, the camera department will want it sorted asap but the cinema line will want it to stay as is to protect their market. Not a battle I would like to be in the middle of.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
They must be aware but if this is a deliberate strategy to dumb down the video side, I would like to think after the horrendous publicity this has generated, they will be on the side of purchasers and make some correction to retain goodwill and future launches but correcting it will be a complicated decision for the various departments, the camera department will want it sorted asap but the cinema line will want it to stay as is to protect their market. Not a battle I would like to be in the middle of.

Don't forget the company culture side of the argument. If someone high enough up in the chain doesn't want to admit fault nothing will change. I've worked for a large enough (US) company where managers would sabotage products to secure a promotion and get away with it.

Upvote 0