Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

Jul 16, 2012
I honestly don’t believe that overheating has anything to do with this. I think it’s merely a deliberate crippling. With no memory card the camera does not overheat. It can run for hours. It can output 4K HQ for hours. Worst still I think Canon could enable 8K raw output on the R5... the HDMI port can support 8K @30p. Canon just choose not to.
We know Canon deliberately cripples cameras.... Who can forget the missing 24p debacle? Or the missing log? I’m not sure why so many are acting like the idea of Canon deliberately crippling a camera is preposterous?

Similar reason to why so many are sure of it, just the flip side.

If limiting it was the primary goal, it seems like quite the oversight to allow unlimited external recording. Not to mention even making 8K RAW available in the first place.

Upvote 0
Speaking from the comfort of my armchair, I can say it’s clearly defective if just scrolling through menus can cause a device to overheat and shut down. Is there any product outside of this where anyone can site this as acceptable behavior? And if no, why is it acceptable here?
I can confirm this. I went thr2the menus a few hours to look at all the settings. In the end the record time (high modes) had zero 0:00 recording time left.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Thermal pads(once Canon seems to be using(compared to Hitachi HM03 and other graphite pads) are not a good medium to transfer heat, for low power components like RAM, VRM they are fine for higher power components they literally are $hit compared to decent thermal paste.

True but thermal paste can dry and loose its transfer ability over time. Not good to build in a maintenance item that would require a trip to the service facility in 5 years. High content silver paste requires many heat/cool down cycles before it becomes most effective. Head pads are the least invasive method to allow a good contact medium inside a camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't have any issue with the record limits. I am disappointed that shooting stills can impact that limit significantly. I doubt I would shoot more than 5 minutes of video at any one time, but if you give me an 8K record facility which I can't use once I've been shooting stills for a couple of hours, then yes, I am disappointed at that.

If it then takes tens of minutes to cool down before I could use any video, well then for wildlife, you've likely lost that opportunity.

Mine arrives today. Yes I ordered it knowing these limits. I just find it out of character for Canon on the stills to video impact, and hope they can adjust through firmware that a little bit, so I can just use the 8K video after shooting stills, and the cool-down period is reduced... And yes, I will test it to see where the truth is. I would be more than happy to come back here and report I can still do both.

Could a vent not be weather sealed, if you only had to use it to cool down the camera, and at all other times it was sealed. Are not the ports on the camera the same situation? Could a vent not take a similar approach (open it if conditions allow, else shoot till hot, then vent briefly)? It would not help with the heat build up, but maybe Canon decided the body is ok to dissipate some heat, but too much and you'd likely impact stills shooters holding it all day?

Re CFExpress - based on a Delkin Engineering PDF I posted a link to in another thread here, their cards support power management, but not clear if everyone (anyone?) implements this - which could explain why idle in a PC or R5 is still generates heat. You could power down at the link (PHY) if you are ok to accept a small delay when you need to write to it (for stills I guess that might reduce the number of shots you can shoot before the buffer fills).

Also the Delkin cards have power modes (4). The default does not throttle I/O, there is a "Light" mode but alas no details as to whether this would maintain the 325MBps required for the higher video modes.

The Delikin has a temp sensor on the card and will throttle i/o itself, so the card will protect itself.

HDMI is uncompressed. The HQ modes over HDMI to the Atomos still do downsampling from higher resolutions and thus require Digic.

Internal use H264 or H265 which requires HW support to do it in real time. Interestingly, the H265 doesnt appear to change that heat envelope much (8 bit is 264, 10bit 265 and those modes don't seem to change the record times much), so well done Canon, your Digic implementation is very good.

By the time you have the Ninja, the additional batteries, the cables, the cage, the SSD card, probably another 700-800 bucks onto the total. Not a dealbreaker for some, but a bit cumbersome if you just want to take small clips and otherwise continue to take stills (and more weight consideration if you are flying).

The Atomos Ninja cannot support 8K nor likely 4K120 - neither the Canon nor Ninja have HDMI 2.1, so that's internal or nothing. There is an 8K modules coming for their Neon range.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
There are reports that CFExpress cards heat up when in the slot even when not being used. I haven't got an R5 and can't verify this one way or another so perhaps someone who does can reply whether this is true or not.

If not it's just some careless coding by Canon where they're detecting card present for cutoff limits rather than card is set for recording.
CFexpress cards, SD cards all get extremely hot. Even in a card reader. CFexpress cards and SD cards do not have a sleep mode. This is why electronic equipment with card readers and memory devices have FANS. Heat disipation. Canon and Sony have both repeatedly said this. I don't know why people continuosly expect engineering miracles.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I don't have any issue with the record limits. I am disappointed that shooting stills can impact that limit significantly. I doubt I would shoot more than 5 minutes of video at any one time, but if you give me an 8K record facility which I can't use once I've been shooting stills for a couple of hours, then yes, I am disappointed at that.

If it then takes tens of minutes to cool down before I could use any video, well then for wildlife, you've likely lost that opportunity.

Mine arrives today. Yes I ordered it knowing these limits. I just find it out of character for Canon on the stills to video impact, and hope they can adjust through firmware that a little bit, so I can just use the 8K video after shooting stills, and the cool-down period is reduced... And yes, I will test it to see where the truth is. I would be more than happy to come back here and report I can still do both.

Could a vent not be weather sealed, if you only had to use it to cool down the camera, and at all other times it was sealed. Are not the ports on the camera the same situation? Could a vent not take a similar approach (open it if conditions allow, else shoot till hot, then vent briefly)? It would not help with the heat build up, but maybe Canon decided the body is ok to dissipate some heat, but too much and you'd likely impact stills shooters holding it all day?

Re CFExpress - based on a Delkin Engineering PDF I posted a link to in another thread here, their cards support power management, but not clear if everyone (anyone?) implements this - which could explain why idle in a PC or R5 is still generates heat. You could power down at the link (PHY) if you are ok to accept a small delay when you need to write to it (for stills I guess that might reduce the number of shots you can shoot before the buffer fills).

Also the Delkin cards have power modes (4). The default does not throttle I/O, there is a "Light" mode but alas no details as to whether this would maintain the 325MBps required for the higher video modes.

The Delikin has a temp sensor on the card and will throttle i/o itself, so the card will protect itself.

HDMI is uncompressed. The HQ modes over HDMI to the Atomos still do downsampling from higher resolutions and thus require Digic.

Internal use H264 or H265 which requires HW support to do it in real time. Interestingly, the H265 doesnt appear to change that heat envelope much (8 bit is 264, 10bit 265 and those modes don't seem to change the record times much), so well done Canon, your Digic implementation is very good.

By the time you have the Ninja, the additional batteries, the cables, the cage, the SSD card, probably another 700-800 bucks onto the total. Not a dealbreaker for some, but a bit cumbersome if you just want to take small clips and otherwise continue to take stills (and more weight consideration if you are flying).

The Atomos Ninja cannot support 8K nor likely 4K120 - neither the Canon nor Ninja have HDMI 2.1, so that's internal or nothing. There is an 8K modules coming for their Neon range.
Every single CFexpress card and SD card I've ever had has always gotten hot. Along with the card readers. Nothing new. Pay close attention to your operating limits 32 - 104 F. Once the device reaches 104 F a cool down timer is initialized. My suggestion if you're going to do long recording is to measure your R5 temp with the LCD open with a FLIR or infrared thermometeras some are begining to do. Don't wait until you get an alert. By that time you're probably at 95 F. You can't use your hand as a thermometer as some have done.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I was wondering where the thermal sensors are. If the CFexpress card is generating substantial heat, maybe pulling the card and cooling it would speed up the recovery time. I would like to see a test that measures the CFexpress card temp when the R5 thermal sensors trigger a shut down.
It's already been done. And guess what, the CFexpress card was 103.6 or 104 F. The exact operating limit of the device. It has already been noted that the cards get hot. I suppose that's why Canon suggest using a fan if attempting to do continuous long recording.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Someone in another CR article mentioned that the online Owner's Manual no longer has the table listing how long it's expected to record due to heat issues. Maybe this is a sign the firmware fix is coming out very soon...
The recording limits are in the manual still. And the operating temperature also. The operating temperature limit is 104 F. The device can get well over that temperature. And the Cards have already been measured reaching at least 104 F in an couple of online Youtube videos already. At one time Dan Watson measured both Canon and Sony cameras reaching well over 129 F in the sunlight however. Still thats way over the operating limits without a Fan. I've ordered 2 IC fansink cooling fans for mine. I will do some measurements with a FLUKE IR thermal imaging device to determine precisely the temps before the alert comes on and what temperature it comes on.

Upvote 0
The recording limits are in the manual still. And the operating temperature also. The operating temperature limit is 104 F. The device can get well over that temperature. And the Cards have already been measured reaching at least 104 F in an couple of online Youtube videos already. At one time Dan Watson measured both Canon and Sony cameras reaching well over 129 F in the sunlight however. Still thats way over the operating limits without a Fan. I've ordered 2 IC fansink cooling fans for mine. I will do some measurements with a FLUKE IR thermal imaging device to determine precisely the temps before the alert comes on and what temperature it comes on.

that's not what I am talking about. the table similar to this DPR table is what is now gone:
Canon_EOS_R5_Overheating_2.jpeg

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Because EOSHD never actually measured the device temperature. They are merely speculating. And have actually errored in their speculation. The device can get extremely hot. Period. And CFexpress cards and SD cards don't have sleep modes. They get hot still when not in use if merely sitting in a card slot. The cards have been pulled out and measured in several Youtube videos already. Reaching well over 104 F when not in use. Most all electronic devices get hot. That's why CPUs and ICs have cooling, fansinks, and FANS. Oh and yes smartphones too. They've been known to catch fire and banned from airlines at one time.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I expected better from you canonrumours. "Why does none of this matter when recording externally?" Because when you record to an atomos for example, its pure HDMI out. The cameras processor is no longer compressing/processing the video for storage.

Its why the atomos records to prores or whatever other codecs that comes with it. Because it is the EXTERNAL RECORDER DOING THE PROCESSING OF WHATEVER COMES OFF THE SENSOR. I thought this was basic knowledge for anyone intending to use the camera for videography.

Why then does the camera overheat faster with CF cards installed even externally? There could be a bug where the cf card continues to heatup even when not in use, just like how nvme ssds heat up sometimes even when you arent using them with your PCs. I believe canon COULD possibly fix this in firmware? Although im not 100% on whether this is possible since im not an expert. So perhaps Canonrumours could do without spreading misinformation if they dont even know why cameras dont overheat when recording externally?
Precisely except one small detail. Most CFexpress cards and SD cards do not have a sleep mode. They are themselves electronic devices that do not power themselves down or OFF merely when not being written to. The SD card receives power from the card reader or host.

Upvote 0