Aug 27, 2019
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Guy got 69mins of 8K by cooling the Camera

Very interesting read.

Couple thoughts from that:

-switching the card stopped temp increase for 6 minutes. Does that mean the card is actually heat sink for the camera?

-on both tests, the 42C -> 62C took roughly same amount of time, but the previous day test stopped there, the cool-down test still continued up to 72C.

Makes me also wonder if some cards stay cooler during writing, thus would give longer time until shut down.

Upvote 0
Some exciting news -- my R5 (ordered Aug. 2) arrived on Friday morning. It was a busy weekend, so I just finally took it out of the box. It's a really nice camera, it feels like you're holding a slimmed-down 5D4 with the grip on it.

I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how it preforms. So far my only complaint is the rather small size of the AF ON button. But this body has a great new thumb wheel to change ISO in one step.

I ordered an extra battery on Aug. 5, that's finally shipped as well -- scheduled for delivery early this week.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Very interesting read.

Couple thoughts from that:

-switching the card stopped temp increase for 6 minutes. Does that mean the card is actually heat sink for the camera?

Makes me also wonder if some cards stay cooler during writing, thus would give longer time until shut down.

CF Express cards are big heat generators and have internal temp monitoring to actually slow the card down as it gets hotter. Its far worse with extreme data rates like 8K or 4K 120.

Delkin goes so far as to recommend switching cards when they feel too warm. That to me means you don't want a super high capacity card, switch your card out every 5 or 6 minutes.

" To make sure everything you intended to capture is safely stored without corruption or dropped frames, we recommend having at least one additional card (or drive) on-hand. Check the heat of the storage from time-to-time by using your hand, and if it is too hot to handle, swap it out with a “fresh” unused unit so that the one that was just used can cool down – ideally someplace cool and dry. Going back-and-forth between cards (or drives) to give each “rest” will ensure peak performance and increase longevity. "

The card can reach up to 194 degrees F before shutting down.

Upvote 0
Some exciting news -- my R5 (ordered Aug. 2) arrived on Friday morning. It was a busy weekend, so I just finally took it out of the box. It's a really nice camera, it feels like you're holding a slimmed-down 5D4 with the grip on it.

I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how it preforms. So far my only complaint is the rather small size of the AF ON button. But this body has a great new thumb wheel to change ISO in one step.

I ordered an extra battery on Aug. 5, that's finally shipped as well -- scheduled for delivery early this week.
Whaaaaaat, how could you??

It arrived Friday and you left it untouched all weekend??

That's some kind of self control - I bet you're really slim too :) :)

Congrats on the purchase, and hope you enjoy.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

Ordered Aug 2 and it arrived today Aug 17? that's not a huge delay. . maybe stock is increasing. where'd you order?

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Those of us who ordered from B&H got the shorter end of the stick. I pre-ordered mine on July 10 around 10am and I’ve only gotten the adapter and battery but no R5.

If I had known, I would’ve ordered directly from Canon.
Really hard to know how long or short the sticks are. It's the lack of forthcoming information. I don't blame B&H for this as much as Canon themselves. Canon basically holds retailers hostage from giving us any sort of useful information. I just wish the retailers would stand up for the consumers and let Canon know how unacceptable it is to not even be able to tell customers how long they have to hold $4000+ open on their cards.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I ordered on July 15th from B&H. They sent an email on Aug. 4th saying they expected a new shipment in 2-3 weeks and they would send an update today...crickets.
Yup. Same. Ordered on the morning of the 10th. Got an email 2 weeks ago telling us they would update us on the 4th. Been checking my mailbox all day for some bit of information. Nothing.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
So here it is barely August 18th, here are my updates.

Yesterday, I was notified of the status change:
Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
from back order to " Order in Progress"

Getting kit, one piece at a time.

sheesh.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
So here it is barely August 18th, here are my updates.

Yesterday, I was notified of the status change:
Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
from back order to " Order in Progress"

Getting kit, one piece at a time.

sheesh.
My control ring is still backordered. Just that and the R5 left on my 5 piece order.
This is like the worst game of BINGO ever.
Or the slowest fastfood drive-thru.

Upvote 0

sal7777

From EF to RF
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Monica
B&H just sent me an email with the following:

Canon R5 Order Update – August 18, 2020​
In our August 4th update, we shared that Canon R5 preorders were very strong and Canon’s deliveries to US retailers have been extremely limited. We also promised to send regular updates. Since that note, we have not received any R5 deliveries from Canon. We expect to receive/ship our next delivery during the first week of September. We are allocating cameras on a first come first served basis, determined by when we received customer orders, as indicated on our website, without exception. We began accepting orders at 8am on July 9th.

We are working closely with Canon trying to expedite deliveries. At this point, we are awaiting information from Canon on our next delivery after the early September allotment. Once we receive additional information, we will send you an update. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

The launch of the new R5 has been incredibly well received and we know how excited people are to receive this new camera. We apologize for the continuing delay. Please accept our sincere commitment that we are working hard to get you your camera to you as quickly as possible. We will send you an update once we have additional information.

Thank you,
The B&H Team​

Upvote 0

Mo Steve

EOS R
Jul 30, 2020

In our August 4th update, we shared that Canon R5 preorders were very strong and Canon’s deliveries to US retailers have been extremely limited. We also promised to send regular updates. Since that note, we have not received any R5 deliveries from Canon. We expect to receive/ship our next delivery during the first week of September. We are allocating cameras on a first come first served basis, determined by when we received customer orders, as indicated on our website, without exception. We began accepting orders at 8am on July 9th.

We are working closely with Canon trying to expedite deliveries. At this point, we are awaiting information from Canon on our next delivery after the early September allotment. Once we receive additional information, we will send you an update. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

The launch of the new R5 has been incredibly well received and we know how excited people are to receive this new camera. We apologize for the continuing delay. Please accept our sincere commitment that we are working hard to get you your camera to you as quickly as possible. We will send you an update once we have additional information.

Thank you,
The B&H Team​
Same, just got it as well. Very disappointing.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro

Thank you,
The B&H Team​
Bla bla bla. I got the same. I can't find out where I am on the list, and besides, doesn't matter- it depends on how many cameras they get in. I'm just hoping I get mine early September- I want to take it to Alaska.
Dang.
Some good news, my adapter changed to "shipped"

Scott

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I came to the thread because your chosen title implied that you were sharing your R5 delivery experience, as in an R5 that had been delivered to you, and wanted others to do the same.

Instead, you shared your automated email delivery experience.
The title is "Share R5 delivery experience". You made an inference that was not implied or stated. If you look at the thread, people are sharing their delivery experience. I have not received my R5 yet, and the automated email notice IS part of the experience.

Care to share your experience , or just want to troll me for posting something important to me and a few others (12 pages so far).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I cancelled my order due to Covid-19 becoming out of control here. I don't think I'd get much use out of the camera, and if I got sick, I'm pretty likely to get very sick.

Hopefully, I can order it later.
Be safe!

Upvote 0

Mo Steve

EOS R
Jul 30, 2020
I received my Control Ring Mount Adaper EF-EOS R.

So far:
1 grip
1battery
1adapter

Waiting for:
R5 X1
100-500 lens.

Anyone hear anything about the next round of camera shipments?

Waiting sucks.
Have a great weekend.

Well B&H is saying they expect the next shipment from Canon early September. It really seems like the first batch to retailers was extremely limited because I know there are still people who pre ordered from B&H on the first day and still don't have a camera. I would have expected the second shipment to be sooner but I wonder if the delay was firmware related?

Upvote 0