Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Your rant ignores the possibility that Canon is simply lying about the extent of the overheating problem to provide cover for once again needlessly crippling a camera body. It doesn't take an advanced engineering degree to look at data that suggests actual internal temperatures are completely uncorrelated to temperature warnings and shutdowns and conclude that the whole situation is simply the result of a software cripple dressed up as a design necessity. Even if you're fine with Canon's decision to intentionally cripple the R5, I don't know how you can defend lying about it.

++++It doesn't take an advanced engineering degree to look at data that suggests actual internal temperatures are completely uncorrelated to temperature warnings

A.M.: I read that sensor temps at around 60C could be potentially damaging for image quality both stills and video. Sensor reaching 60C temps has been confirmed by multiple sources (EXIF and measurements). It may also lead to mid to long term sensor functional issues. “Canon's decision to intentionally cripple the R5” is yet another conspiracy theory.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
When he removes the battery and restarts recording it gives only 5 mins. That tells me Canon have a temperature sensor and firmware limitation combined. I do not believe Canon will remove this limitation with a firmware update.
I measured the internal temperature through the card slot. It reaches 110 F before

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Defeating CMOS clocks has been something we have been doing for years.

When I was taking my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) way back in 1999 we would defeat the trial license on Windows Server 2K all the time by tricking the system into thinking it was 1998 so the 120 day trial we were suppose to have was now a year and 120 days. (MS fixed this long ago) but there is still tons of software apps the rely on the date of install to determine things...

Cameras like Computers rely on information stored in the memory that is maintained by the continuous power the button cell provides. Removing that power source or in the case of not allowing an orderly shutdown by defeating the battery door causes the Camera to become unaware of the state the Camera was in prior to the interruption.

I hope no one cooks their Camera trying this...

I can effectively do the same thing to my car by disconnecting all power sources and have been able to clear a Check Engine light doing this (it will return as soon as the fault is recorded again) but it allowed me to limp the thing to my dealership faster then the limp mode was allowing prior to "clearing" the fault.

Looking back at my 7D I was able to replace the CMOS battery (it was in the battery compartment) but that was the last Canon camera that I have owned the allowed me to do this. The fact the battery is not accessible makes it pretty clear to me Canon really does not want or need us messing with it.

I still believe the heat management of the R5 is a total system and each system be it Storage, CPU, Ram, Senor, CMOS all have a role to play in keeping the Camera from cooking itself.

If the R5 has ushered in a new era of taking Cameras apart and torture testing the manufactures claims lets hope all Cameras from now on are put under the same microscope and as a result we as consumers get better Cameras. I fear that will not be the case because I believe most of this has more to do with the name on the front of the Camera then a need to see improvement.

In the end I feel for Canon and having all the BS around what is truly a great Camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
++++It doesn't take an advanced engineering degree to look at data that suggests actual internal temperatures are completely uncorrelated to temperature warnings

A.M.: I read that sensor temps at around 60C could be potentially damaging for image quality both stills and video. Sensor reaching 60C temps has been confirmed by multiple sources (EXIF and measurements). It may also lead to mid to long term sensor functional issues. “Canon's decision to intentionally cripple the R5” is yet another conspiracy theory.

You should at least use available measurements and don't dismiss inconsistencies. 4K HW mode after 1 hour in menu with occassional shots, 43 C - not even a 1 second. 8K, 20 minutes, 63 C. So much for your conspiracy theory ....

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
You're right. For some reason it's only in the 4k 60 and 8k Modes. When measuring the internal temperature through the card slot, at 109 F and 101 external on the back, the camera reaches threshold. Even if allowed to return to 73 F internally, the full recovery does not reset. The cool down timer has an issue in the 4k 60p and 8k mode of operation when recording internally. The cool down timer will allow full recovery in the other modes. One can monitor the internal camera with an IR thermometer through the media door by using a toothpick or similar item to engage the door switch. The internal threshold temperature is not the issue.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
You should at least use available measurements and don't dismiss inconsistencies. 4K HW mode after 1 hour in menu with occassional shots, 43 C - not even a 1 second. 8K, 20 minutes, 63 C. So much for your conspiracy theory ....
not my conspiracy theory. I replied to someone else’s post. you should at least use available measurements and don’t dismiss inconsistencies in how you are reading posts. No apologies required. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

When I was taking my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) way back in 1999 we would defeat the trial license on Windows Server 2K all the time by tricking the system into thinking it was 1998 so the 120 day trial we were suppose to have was now a year and 120 days. (MS fixed this long ago) but there is still tons of software apps the rely on the date of install to determine things...

Cameras like Computers rely on information stored in the memory that is maintained by the continuous power the button cell provides. Removing that power source or in the case of not allowing an orderly shutdown by defeating the battery door causes the Camera to become unaware of the state the Camera was in prior to the interruption.

I can effectively do the same thing to my car by disconnecting all power sources and have been able to clear a Check Engine lights doing this (it will return as soon as the fault is recorded again) but it allowed me to limp the thing to my dealership faster then the limp mode was allowing prior to "clearing" the fault.

Looking back at my 7D I was able to replace the CMOS battery (it was in the battery compartment) but that was the last Canon camera that I have owned the allowed me to do this. The fact the battery is not accessible makes it pretty clear to me Canon really does not want or need us messing with it.

I still believe the heat management of the R5 is a total system and each system be it Storage, CPU, Ram, Senor, CMOS all have a role to play in keeping the Camera from cooking itself.

If the R5 has ushered in a new era of taking Cameras apart and torture testing the manufactures claims lets hope all Cameras from now on are put under the same microscope and as a result we as consumers get better Cameras. I fear that will not be the case because I believe most of this has more to do with the name on the front of the Camera then I need to see improvement.

In the end I feel for Canon and having all the BS around what is truly a great Camera.
However his method did NOT reset that countdown timer In 4k 60P and 8K to "Full recovery". He only got 5 minutes. That doesn't indicate FULL recovery.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Yes, probably... it's the solution :D
source.gif

• Haha
Upvote 0

I can effectively do the same thing to my car by disconnecting all power sources and have been able to clear a Check Engine lights doing this (it will return as soon as the fault is recorded again) but it allowed me to limp the thing to my dealership faster then the limp mode was allowing prior to "clearing" the fault.

If the R5 has ushered in a new era of taking Cameras apart and torture testing the manufactures claims lets hope all Cameras from now on are put under the same microscope and as a result we as consumers get better Cameras. I fear that will not be the case because I believe most of this has more to do with the name on the front of the Camera then I need to see improvement.

When I reconnect my car battery, immediately I see my thermometer working

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
Why does no one talk about the Chinese user who actually took the camera apart?

I am glad that I don't need to buy a new camera yet, but I am eyeing the EOS R + 24-105L. I am curious to see how this plays out. I would not support Canon, if it actually turns out that they are lying about the overheating and instead just but and artificial timer in place to pretend to be overheating.

I think the biggest clue of why this might not be a deliberate is the fact that Canon has a history of leaving out features (which is fair as the customer can decide if they want to support that). So I don't see why they would not simply put a time limit of N min on those modes and be done with it. Can't imagine that the few people not buying cinema gear is worth all the bad PR.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

The R5 can record 4K all day for those that need it. However for those that need it the R5, indeed any Canon hybrid short of the 1DC, would be a poor choice as apart from that 1DC they all have a 29:59 single shot limit unless shooting to external, which virtually everybody shooting long form 4K would be doing anyway. Of course by that point, recording externally, the R5 has been demonstrated to be able to shoot 8k and 4kHQ (full capture downsampled 8k) pretty much without time limits too.

At some point all these straw man criticisms of the R5 will collapse, genuine users rather than keyboard cowboys with nothing between their ears but air will find workflows for whatever it is they need and there will be no end of top quality content coming from them. Meanwhile the cowboys will have moved on to the next target of their collective angst, however I have a better suggestion for those cowboys, face into a mirror and see where the real issues and lack of creativity lie, it isn’t in the ‘limitations’ of any particular piece of equipment.

i was trying to think of the last time a Canon body release got this much hate, it doesn’t take much looking as it was the R, not a good word was said about it at release, six months later many of those mouthpieces had adopted it and were praising its abilities.....
Just to clear things up:

You can’t record 8K external.

Can get 4K24 /4K30 HQ external for a little over an hour with heat control on. 3-4 hours with no card in camera. That is good news.

4K is obviously softer than Sony and obviously all HQ modes.

Giddy up!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Just to clear things up:

You can’t record 8K external.

Can get 4K24 /4K30 HQ external for a little over an hour with heat control on. 3-4 hours with no card in camera. That is good news.

4K is obviously softer than Sony and obviously all HQ modes.

Giddy up!
2.5 hours with cards in camera, externally with battery grip (4K60 full sensor All-I via external recording only):

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

2.5 hours with cards in camera, externally with battery grip (4K60 full sensor All-I via external recording only):

That’s 4K60...Can record with no limit externally there. 4K24 HQ / 4K30 HQ are different stories. It’s really important you’re clear in what info you’re spreading. I’m seeing a lot of misinformation - probably due to lots of independent tests and people not taking the time to understand them.

No external 8K. (Canon)

4K24 HQ / 4K30 HQ 3-4 hours externally w/ no cards in camera. (No Life)

4K60 external - No overheat limit (Gerald Undone)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That’s 4K60...Can record with no limit externally there. 4K24 HQ / 4K30 HQ are different stories. It’s really important you’re clear in what info you’re spreading. I’m seeing a lot of misinformation - probably due to lots of independent tests and people not taking the time to understand them.

No external 8K. (Canon)

Here we go again :

+++ It’s really important you’re clear in what info you’re spreading. I’m seeing a lot of misinformation - probably due to lots of independent tests

A.M.: show me what part of my post is misinformation. read it again:

2.5 hours with cards in camera, externally with battery grip (4K60 full sensor All-I via external recording only)

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This is just sad. Defeating a warning is not solving the problem. If I broke the seat belt warning in my car, does that mean I'm now safe not wearing one?

So, so tired of all these fools who know nothing about electronics components, cooling, or firmware. More sick of those repeating it for web profit. These people are only looking for clicks and refuse to accept the camera as designed. Not a shred of engineering experience among them apparently.

Every armchair fool has the solution or knows better than a dedicated team of engineers. Seems to be the world today- just having an opinion is somehow permission to deny logic or facts. Start with a baseless emotional premise and shout the loudest.

Let's take another example, a fold out knife with safety. If some idiot thinks the safety is limiting and defeats it then calls that a solution, when they get cut is it the manufacturer at fault?

Defeating the overheating limit is not a solution, it is bypassing design limits. Only the fool crowd who refuses to understand even the basics of physics or engineering thinks everything in the world can be solved with a couple lines of software or that they are some victim being cheated even if they don't own this product. They think infinite capability is possible and owed to them in a tiny camera for less. Why aren't these idiots bashing gopro or anyone else for their limitations? Once people latch on to a trend or emotion they never let logic in.
It didn't solve the problem any how. It doesn't reset the cool down timer to "FULL Recovery". 5 minutes isn't full recovery. The issues is only in the high resolution 4k 60 and 8k modes. Even when measuring the camera's internal temperature at 60 - 73F after returning from an Overheat state, the cool down timer doesn't appear to be working propperly. Canon does not say precislywhat the Full Recovery temperature shoul be in their Media Alert. It should be as stated in the manual for the corresponding media size.

Upvote 0

No external 8K. (Canon)

I'd rather pay hundreds of $$ for an external recorder than hundreds of $$ on a damn card

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0