Go ad-free and more by becoming a Canon Rumors PRO.

HenWin

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Nothing that comes in the mail, that's an expensive logistical challenge that I cannot promise to fulfil. This year it will be new software, beyond that I don't want to predict what's coming in future years, but I do promise a worthwhile gift every year that will hopefully please a majority of people.
That's close enough. thanks!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Anything above a width of 2048 px is downsized to 2048 px and the EXIF data removed. Below 2048, the original images are posted along with the EXIF data.
Thanks.

I generally post one of two things, or sometimes both, depending upon what I am wanting to show. I’ll take the 26MP original and produce a 1000 or 1200 px JPEG of the whole image. Or I will do a crop from a small area at 100% to show noise, detail, sharpness, whatever is in question. For macro shots, I’ll generally post both. So that sounds like a good strategy.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Done-within 2 minutes of seeing it!

It was a heaven sent for me.
I was just getting to the point where I really started to wonder whether I should stop coming to the site due to those annoying ads which have grown in numbers exponentially recently. I even asked my daughter to find a good ad blocker for me and I was ready to pay for it!!

Now I am wondering- was it done on purpose to push us to this?:p
Just kidding ! As a Canon fan I really enjoy this site. If there is one web page only I had time to open on a given day- it will most likely be this!

Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
imho CR has had way too many ads recently, especially those annoying popups, or ads that float. I wish you luck on your endeavour. Not sure how wise offering a US$50 and US$100 lifetime deal is, even if only for a couple of weeks, as I think you would have been better off getting regular members to pay annually - even if you did a buy 5 years and get 2 free deal at the very beginning. Also, not sure how you plan to get around the adblockers, I do not even use them but when I browse with Edge In-Private mode it seems to block them all automatically, as does the strict setting in Firefox. It takes seconds to set up. So right now, I cannot see a single ad, which is great from a user experience. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I surely can support the effort. What is a pity, is that those business partners are surely going to be mostly US deals? Sometimes it is difficult to get it delivered into EU by reasonable price. But - we will see ....

What I also think is, that you should allow ppl to register their gear, and not that weird way of gisplaying some automatic badge?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I surely can support the effort. What is a pity, is that those business partners are surely going to be mostly US deals? Sometimes it is difficult to get it delivered into EU by reasonable price. But - we will see ....

What I also think is, that you should allow ppl to register their gear, and not that weird way of gisplaying some automatic badge?
You can override the automatic badge in your profile easily enough. “FT-QL” is certainly not part of the automatic choices.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Honestly, and I dont mean to be ungrateful or disrespectful, but Im probably closer to just not using the site anymore (sadly). Between the animated ads cycling on and off at the bottom banner and bottom left, and the automatically playing videos along the right, and then more banners within the forum posts themselves the site has become extremely cumbersome to use. I tried browsing on my phone the other day and found it beyond frustrating to navigate.

At time of writing this page has 5 seperate ad spaces, and the banners at the bottom and bottom left are cycling ads, so over the time its taken me to post this its been roughly 20 seperate ads.

I know you've got to recoup some costs, and I appreciate the work you put in, but it's not worth the absolute ad spam especially when the same info is just rehashed elsewhere on sites that dont have this exposure to ads. Again, not meaning to be ungrateful or disrespectful by any means.
I don't suppose people will be queueing up to post in support of your view, or even click the Like button. But let me be the first (and maybe the only) one. I can't use this site on my tablet, where I don't have an ad blocker, because the ads are so intrusive and take up so much of the screen. Are they also the reason why pages take so long to load on my fairly fast Galaxy Tab S4? On the big desktop monitor it's more in proportion, but I turned off my ad blocker a few minutes ago to get a feel for how bad it was and it will be going back on as soon as I've posted this. Reading and writing with graphics flashing constantly on the edge of my field of view is too unpleasant. Even if it's not a deliberate ploy by CRG to get as many as possible to pay </conspiracytheory>, it IS a deliberate tactic by the advertisers. If the ads were (a) reasonable in size and number, and (b) not animated, I'd be more than happy to disable the ad blocker permanently, but right now that's not going to happen. And if CRG carries out his threat to include ads which will get around ad blockers, maybe I'll just stop visiting. I know I won't be missed, I'm "just sayin".

I have an antisocial neighbour who plays annoying music in the garden, usually on a sunny afternoon when I want to be outside. So far he hasn't offered to stop doing it if I pay, but you can imagine how such a generous offer would go down.

Upvote 0
I don't suppose people will be queueing up to post in support of your view, or even click the Like button. But let me be the first (and maybe the only) one. I can't use this site on my tablet, where I don't have an ad blocker, because the ads are so intrusive and take up so much of the screen. Are they also the reason why pages take so long to load on my fairly fast Galaxy Tab S4? On the big desktop monitor it's more in proportion, but I turned off my ad blocker a few minutes ago to get a feel for how bad it was and it will be going back on as soon as I've posted this. Reading and writing with graphics flashing constantly on the edge of my field of view is too unpleasant. Even if it's not a deliberate ploy by CRG to get as many as possible to pay </conspiracytheory>, it IS a deliberate tactic by the advertisers. If the ads were (a) reasonable in size and number, and (b) not animated, I'd be more than happy to disable the ad blocker permanently, but right now that's not going to happen. And if CRG carries out his threat to include ads which will get around ad blockers, maybe I'll just stop visiting. I know I won't be missed, I'm "just sayin".

I have an antisocial neighbour who plays annoying music in the garden, usually on a sunny afternoon when I want to be outside. So far he hasn't offered to stop doing it if I pay, but you can imagine how such a generous offer would go down.
If your neighbor was also providing you a useful service, say weeding your garden, for free, then perhaps you would be more tolerant of his music. Or maybe you would offer him an incentive to not play his music.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
You can override the automatic badge in your profile easily enough. “FT-QL” is certainly not part of the automatic choices.

Yes, just go to your account details and set your own custom title.

The automatic titles are a way of promoting a user based on the number of posts. It gets updated from time to time.

Attached is a screen shot of the custom title entry in account details. Also shown is the promotion ladder which produces the titles. The admin can modify it pretty easily.

acct details.JPG

title ladder.JPG

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's almost a great cycle of history.

People watch/use something "for free" but there are ads. The ads get more and more obnoxious because they are competing with each other for your attention. People come up with ways to simply skip the ads, everything from using a VCR and a remote control to skip them (for TV), to adblockers (the Internet), so then the advertisers try to thwart that, not willing to recognize that if they weren't so obnoxious people would tolerate the ads. It's a death spiral for the advertisers, the more they push the more the audiences rebel.

Finally someone is willing to PAY to get away from the damned advertisers, and that works OK for the provider, until, of course, he has to cut prices to compete with other content providers...and starts to sell ads. (How many cable networks sell advertising even though you're paying for the cable network already?)

Upvote 0