Go ad-free and more by becoming a Canon Rumors PRO.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm not sure exactly why, but this makes me think that...

I would give Harry a free pass. Otherwise his helicopter might be too expensive for him to maintain. It would be a pity to miss his posts in those premium-only forum sections.

Good grief, no. Why allow bullshit into even more places?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I don't like the dynamics of money flow for lifetime. The site needs some periodically paying subscribers, otherwise the whole ad-free scheme would be unsustainable in the long run, unless there are other ways of monetize that subscriber base.
But the higher-$ lifetime fee might also give a nice upfront financial benefit from those who go for it. And the 'Access to PRO member deals and discounts' might go to your point about ongoing monetisation of subscribers.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Can/would you give an example of what your yearly gifts might be? thanks!

Nothing that comes in the mail, that's an expensive logistical challenge that I cannot promise to fulfil. This year it will be new software, beyond that I don't want to predict what's coming in future years, but I do promise a worthwhile gift every year that will hopefully please a majority of people.

Upvote 0

traktuner

Canon EOS-1D X
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Nothing that comes in the mail, that's an expensive logistical challenge that I cannot promise to fulfil. This year it will be new software, beyond that I don't want to predict what's coming in future years, but I do promise a worthwhile gift every year that will hopefully please a majority of people.
Thank you for your time and effort! Following your site for a very long time now, and thought now is the time to finally sign up here :) Gift-wise - If it's software, please also think about the macOS people in here :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Honestly, and I dont mean to be ungrateful or disrespectful, but Im probably closer to just not using the site anymore (sadly). Between the animated ads cycling on and off at the bottom banner and bottom left, and the automatically playing videos along the right, and then more banners within the forum posts themselves the site has become extremely cumbersome to use. I tried browsing on my phone the other day and found it beyond frustrating to navigate.

At time of writing this page has 5 seperate ad spaces, and the banners at the bottom and bottom left are cycling ads, so over the time its taken me to post this its been roughly 20 seperate ads.

I know you've got to recoup some costs, and I appreciate the work you put in, but it's not worth the absolute ad spam especially when the same info is just rehashed elsewhere on sites that dont have this exposure to ads. Again, not meaning to be ungrateful or disrespectful by any means.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
As ads are not disturbing to me, and Paypal is clearly a no go for me, I will keep on with ads. But if you can allow paying with something else (i.e. something that is not asking me for information I don't want to get loaded on the internet), I'd be glad to support the site.
Or maybe I should expatriate to Canada.. ;)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It is a rumors board after all. I would probably have never come here if I hadn’t decided to wait for the 6D2 rather than getting an 80D, and so was interested in rumors about it and it’s arrival on the market.

I have given and received photo advice here, and I’ve posted a few pictures along, mainly to illustrate a topic under discussion. And I’m not in the market for anything that I know of, but I’m sticking around with a lifetime membership.

Yes, it is a rumor site, and has been named so since the start. However, there was a much freer exchange of techniques and craft a few years back, and of images too. I am NOT pinning blame on anybody for the site seeming to have become a bit narrowly specialized--and less appealing to photographers in general.

If the expected content involves people questioning Canon and then being hammered over and over by the same regulars for making waves, wow, that ain't much of a draw. And if the site is little more than a place for self declared and perhaps paid influencers to steer people away from Canon or just bicker and snipe...How attractive is that?

But perhaps there might be ways to encourage more posts about advice, etc. If the focus is on rumors, then that's the main, and at times the only draw. Seems that a site that needs views, and now memberships, for income should and could expand the appeal a bit. BUT, getting people comfortable enough to share images is a tough job in 2020!

And are the default image posting settings resulting in smaller, softer images? I'm seeing a lot of surprisingly soft images in the galleries the past couple months.

CHEERS! Go, CR, go!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
And are the default image posting settings resulting in smaller, softer images? I'm seeing a lot of surprisingly soft images in the galleries the past couple months.
That's funny. I thought they had gotten better. Maybe I'm posting picture at sizes that it doesn't mess with as much.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
Another website that I used to frequent a lot went from being free to yearly subscriptions to read the stories (photography based.) There were also a lot of other things going on with that site around that time. Now I rarely go there because what drew me to it stopped and what I find there now is not compelling. Maybe I changed too. This website started out being about rumors. Now it sometimes feels more like a shopping channel. Currnet front page: 7 rumor stories, 4 shopping stories.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's funny. I thought they had gotten better. Maybe I'm posting picture at sizes that it doesn't mess with as much.
Anything above a width of 2048 px is downsized to 2048 px and the EXIF data removed. Below 2048, the original images are posted along with the EXIF data.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0