The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I hope Canon keeps us commercial studio stills types in mind and turns out a photocentric stills camera. Hassle free, no video, that's what the R5 is for. I'll pick up a couple.
How do video features on the R5 negatively affect stills shooting?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
What an ignorant comment, how long was the 5DS/r the highest resolution FF camera?
Clearly bellorusso is a troll.. do not feed but for accuracy, Canon had 2 full frame cameras with the highest native resolution for >4 years before Sony. Ignoring pixel shift modes of course.
5DS/R had 20% more pixels than A7Riii and A7Riv has 20% more than 5DS/R
5DS/R announced on 6-Feb-2015 with availability around June-2015
A7Riv announced 16-July-2019 with availability around September-2019

Upvote 0
If my math is right, the crop mode on a 90 megapixel camera would still give you 34 megapixels to work with :oops: That would be insane for wildlife. The R5 has already been lifechanging for me in its ability to be both a great full frame 45mp camera and a great 17mp crop sensor, but that would still be more resolution than a friggin' 5D mark IV even when you crop in to 1.6x...
the scary thing is that could technically still shoot up to 10 fps in full 90MP (reduced bit depth).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm really torn about so many pixels. Would we be better served with 16-bit color and incredible DR? I wish I knew. Are giant numbers of pixels really better or is it just hype and bragging rights? Magazine covers are shot with 20MP. So why 90?
you forget the amount of data you have to oversample with.
so you get that color accuracy back via oversampling those 90MP's down to something more reasonable or print,etc,etc.

there's just alot of good you can do when you have more data.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
...The high mp, ultra high resolution crammed into a FF size sensor can cause problems. Diffraction becomes an issue at some practical apertures on the 5DS, with the resolution / definition falling off a cliff after f/11 on standardish focal lengths. Shoot the 5DS with a good quality lens and a solid tripod in the f/4 - f/5.6 region and the results at full output size are stunningly good, but shoot at f/13 and it's a different story with the full size image looking like you've applied a huge amount of luminous noise reduction. I'm not sure at what aperture a 90mp sensor is going to have the same problem, but if it's into the f/8 region then that really is going to impinge on practically when aiming for the full technical quality the camera is theoretically capable of. For those that think a very high mp camera suffering from severe diffraction is going to be better than a diffraction free 'low' mp one when downsampled, I can assure you it isn't. So TS-E lenses on standby for landscapes with the FF 90mp camera.

Focus stacking.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
the scary thing is that could technically still shoot up to 10 fps in full 90MP (reduced bit depth).

Now that would be *insane.* I would love a camera like that some day, but at the moment even the R5 has been giving me so many gigabytes of photos that I think I'm good for a while with 45 megapixels. :ROFLMAO:

What I'd also love to see Canon do is also allow higher FPS with the crop-sensor mode, it would be sweet if a 90mp camera could do 20+ FPS when in a 34mp crop mode. I know Canon hasn't done something like that yet though, and I don't blame them if their goal is to not muddy the waters about which specs are available when.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
This is a simple geometric issue, the more pixels you have on a sensor, the smaller the angle each pixels covers, therefore, when an object moves while you take a picture, the more pixles you have on the sensor, the more pixles will be effected by the same move. For example, if your object moves in one degree per second, and you have 10 pixels per degree, you will get a "still" image if you take the image in less than 1/10 of a second, if you have 100, then you needd to be faster than 1/100 of a second. if you have 1000 and so on. So when a bird fly or move (as they uauly do) the more pixels you have, the shorter the time needed to get a "still" of them is needed (remember that you take those pictures hand held, so you also needs to account for your own movement at the same time). While birds tend to move much fater, than eventually, you won't be able to have a "still" image of them flying cause once you have so many pixels, the spees you will need to capture them will be beyond 1/8000 of a second.

Upvote 0
This is a simple geometric issue, the more pixels you have on a sensor, the smaller the angle each pixels covers, therefore, when an object moves while you take a picture, the more pixles you have on the sensor, the more pixles will be effected by the same move. For example, if your object moves in one degree per second, and you have 10 pixels per degree, you will get a "still" image if you take the image in less than 1/10 of a second, if you have 100, then you needd to be faster than 1/100 of a second. if you have 1000 and so on. So when a bird fly or move (as they uauly do) the more pixels you have, the shorter the time needed to get a "still" of them is needed (remember that you take those pictures hand held, so you also needs to account for your own movement at the same time). While birds tend to move much fater, than eventually, you won't be able to have a "still" image of them flying cause once you have so many pixels, the spees you will need to capture them will be beyond 1/8000 of a second.
right, but the angle of the pixels is no different in this case to a 90D or a M6 Mark II. and it's perfectly fine on the m6 Mark II and that's without IBIS. This is, IMO, a pretty overrated problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
This is a simple geometric issue, the more pixels you have on a sensor, the smaller the angle each pixels covers, therefore, when an object moves while you take a picture, the more pixles you have on the sensor, the more pixles will be effected by the same move. For example, if your object moves in one degree per second, and you have 10 pixels per degree, you will get a "still" image if you take the image in less than 1/10 of a second, if you have 100, then you needd to be faster than 1/100 of a second. if you have 1000 and so on. So when a bird fly or move (as they uauly do) the more pixels you have, the shorter the time needed to get a "still" of them is needed (remember that you take those pictures hand held, so you also needs to account for your own movement at the same time). While birds tend to move much fater, than eventually, you won't be able to have a "still" image of them flying cause once you have so many pixels, the spees you will need to capture them will be beyond 1/8000 of a second. Same goes to IBIS, the more pixels you have, the shaling of the hand becomes more noticed, for the same reason.

Upvote 0
Is it ?

I run two 5DSs because after getting the first one I always want two identical cameras. However I'm beginning to think maybe I should have got a 5DIV.

The high mp, ultra high resolution crammed into a FF size sensor can cause problems.

you're raising problems that don't really exist.

you can test this with MTF calculations if you want a high MP camera will still capture a truer image than a low MP camera, every, single, time. It will also resolve more with every single lens you own.

diffraction ONLY appears based upon your level of magnification and observer distance. It's an over-exaggerated problem because people look at monitors at 100%. That's not really .. well, real-life presentation of an image.

If you shoot an image at F/16 on a 30MP camera and then F/16 on a 90MP camera, the airy disc of diffraction will be far less pixelated and less digital at 90MP than at 30MP. You also get to oversample your color data as well, as you print or display on 8K monitor, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Magazine covers are shot with 20MP. So why 90?

Magazine covers are dimensionally small and their absolute numbers are declining, so I don't think they're a good measure of what resolution is appropriate.

When you think in 2D, a 90MP image is just over twice the size of a 20MP image in width and height which would give fabulous croppability.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ordered my R5, July 13th. End ofJuly, B&H said mid August, then mid August they told me first week of September, then September 3rd they said more like the end of September, now they're saying they don''t even have a next shipment date. No wonder they want us talking about a new camera so we can forget about this R5!
I ordered mine on July 9th at 6:02am PST which is an hour and two minutes after preorders started. I never had much info but it was pushed back from first week of September to September 16.

Upvote 0