The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
This is a simple geometric issue, the more pixels you have on a sensor, the smaller the angle each pixels covers, therefore, when an object moves while you take a picture, the more pixles you have on the sensor, the more pixles will be effected by the same move. For example, if your object moves in one degree per second, and you have 10 pixels per degree, you will get a "still" image if you take the image in less than 1/10 of a second, if you have 100, then you needd to be faster than 1/100 of a second. if you have 1000 and so on. So when a bird fly or move (as they uauly do) the more pixels you have, the shorter the time needed to get a "still" of them is needed (remember that you take those pictures hand held, so you also needs to account for your own movement at the same time). While birds tend to move much fater, than eventually, you won't be able to have a "still" image of them flying cause once you have so many pixels, the spees you will need to capture them will be beyond 1/8000 of a second. Same goes to IBIS, the more pixels you have, the shaling of the hand becomes more noticed, for the same reason.
Is that the long way to say that higher resolution is more sensitive to motion blur?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
actually a full frame camera is better IMO than simply a crop camera.

say you have a 300mm F2.8. at a 34MP APS-C image size you have essentially a 300mm to 480mm lens F2.8 zoom lens.

That is oh I don't know.. probably a 15K lens if Canon ever made it. You essentially have a built in .6x focal reducer every time you slap a lens on a camera. Even better at times for framing as well, because you can switch in between 1x and 1.6x

You may be changed 2K more for a camera body, but you gain far more versatility when it comes to lenses.

Say canon makes / re-makes the 200-400F4L for the RF mount. That becomes a 200mm to 560mm F4L. Pretty freaking nice. You basically turn a 2x 10K lens into a 3x 20K lens for 2K more and still have the premier optical quality of the 2x lens.

While reach is nice, don't forget the versatility that you lose with it as well.
And if Canon added 1.3X crop to the R5, it would be even more versatile.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Apparently a lot of professional news photographers, although I suspect that the reason has less to do with resolution and more to do with getting the image to the customer rapidly.
I do hope you know I was being facetious. The day my current R gives up the dust, I'll be right on the R6 as a second shooter for events and our kids' sports, etc.

But I have to have some crazy rationale for my G.A.S.

And, seriously, I just see the R5 as more of a jack-of-all-trades. Plus, I have already spent on a few Rf lenses, so I'd like to get the most out of them. And, with the ability to crop more on the R5, I can maybe get back into birding a bit, plus have more post-processing options when cropping.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Taken out of context – I was saying that many of my hybrid-shooting colleagues chose the 12MP compromise over completely non-functioning camera in most cases. I did not complain about this upcoming camera, just wondering if Canon is planning to also deliver on their promise for hybrid shooters.

There is an RF camera that shoots full frame with IBIS and does 10bit 4K?
So the definition of a hybrid camera is that it does 10bit 4 k?
Maybe yours but not mine and that's the point about sweeping statements.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
So, just thinking about this a bit more, when the 5Ds/sR came out, the ISO was limited. I've always thought that it was limited as Canon's file size increases with increasing ISO. Using the R5 as the basis here at ISO 100, the 45 MP RAW files are 51.6 MP (using TDP review as reference), ISO 12,800 the file size is 66.4 MP, and ISO 102,400 the file size is 79 MP.

I suspect that FPS decreases with increasing ISO, but I have not seen that confirmed. But, assuming that the R5 can do 20 fps at ISO 12,800, then the throughput it can handle is 1,328 MB/sec. Playing with the math, if the 90 MB (I still suspect this is the 82.5 MP scaled up from the 90D/M6 II) file size is ~1.5x the resolution size in MP, that would be 135 MB per image at ISO 12,800. Divide 1,328/135 and we are looking at just under 10 fps.

If this had 10 fps with mechanical shutter and say the ability to go faster in crop mode maybe CRAW, limit it to ISO 12,800, and that is a heckuva camera. For those concerned about file size (which includes me, to an extent) CRAW is impressive.

I would have to do some mental gymnastics as to why I (personally) would need this many MP as I am very happy with the 30 MP on my 5DIV. But, still...I like options.
The in-camera iso settings were limited. Big mistake by Canon imho as it proved to produce as good iso >640 as the 5DIV (even with a pinch better detail). Higher iso adjustments could achieved just by underexposing with no adverse results (except what comes from using a higher iso setting).

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Is that the long way to say that higher resolution is more sensitive to motion blur?
No. Its a long way to say that enlarged to 100% during your editing you may detect more blur in the shot than in a smaller file viewed at 100% during your edit, but that your final result - whether for print or screen viewing - will show exactly the same amount of blur regardless if you shoot 1 MPIX or 10.000 MPIX. So nothing to consider or worry about except to be happy that the higher MPIX the more detail and the sharper pictures you will have if you avoid motion blur. What's important is that you will never have more blur in your pictures - only possibly less.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I'm really torn about so many pixels. Would we be better served with 16-bit color and incredible DR? I wish I knew. Are giant numbers of pixels really better or is it just hype and bragging rights? Magazine covers are shot with 20MP. So why 90?
Canon makes 24, 36, 44 and 60 inch large format printers. Any photographer who owns one of these would like 90 MP. The photo below I have printed at 24 x72 inches @ 300dpi. It is stitched together from 19 photos from a 5DsR (50 MP). With 90 MP I could probably do it with half the number of photos. While taking the photos clouds move, people and cars move. Below I also have two 100% crops of the full photo. The less photos I have to take the less time I spend on the computer afterwards fixing things.

Detroit0920-39PhzWeb.jpg

Detroit0920-39PhzCropWeb.jpg

Detroit0920-39PhzCrop2Web.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Diffraction becomes an issue at some practical apertures on the 5DS, with the resolution / definition falling off a cliff after f/11 on standardish focal lengths.

How can effective resolution 'fall off a cliff' when diffraction is proportional to the other factors? Surely it's gradual.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Good to see so many of the 2003 arguments about the 11MP of the 1Ds repurposed for 2020... ;-)

Have we had 'outresolving lenses' mentioned yet?
If they owned and used a large format printer we wouldn't hear them complain. :geek: BTW, I really like your website, printer reviews and all. I have been going there for Many years for info. Also for Canon rumours. ;)

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
-RS owner taking a portrait
-Zooms in 300%
-Ohhhh Hello Mr Covid
-Wut!! the humans came up with a 1 second test!
-Change the model! Please go home and drink plenty of fluids and VitD.

My 5DIII is looking soooooo sooo ready to become backup.
My 5DII is my backup to my 5DsR which I got about 3 years ago. It served me well.

Upvote 0
If they owned and used a large format printer we wouldn't hear them complain. :geek: BTW, I really like your website, printer reviews and all. I have been going there for Many years for info. Also for Canon rumours. ;)
Thanks - I get an R5 to test this week - mainly looking at using TS-E lenses (and to compare with my 5Ds)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
How can effective resolution 'fall off a cliff' when diffraction is proportional to the other factors? Surely it's gradual.
yes, and [heresy] I've never found it to be as serious a problem as it appears to be for some [/heresy]
Of course, it is there, but sometimes the overall image improvement from stopping down outweighs the slight softening - I'm thinking corner detail in shifted images for example.
I'm sure it had some effect when I used a TS-E24 with multishot mode (~170MP) on a S1R - two (multi) shots stitched after up/down shift, but it's the sort of thing I worry about on forums, not taking photos ;-)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The in-camera iso settings were limited. Big mistake by Canon imho as it proved to produce as good iso >640 as the 5DIV (even with a pinch better detail). Higher iso adjustments could achieved just by underexposing with no adverse results (except what comes from using a higher iso setting).
I think they limited the ISO because of the throughput (max MB/file from TDP):
5DSr (2x Digic 6): 88MB x 5 fps = 440 MB/sec
5DIII (Digic 5+): 50MB x 6 fps = 300 MB/sec
5DIV (Digic 6+): 60MB x 7 fps = 420 MB/sec
1DX II (2x Digic 6+): 45 MB x 14 fps = 630 MB/sec

A behind the scenes aspect of the R5/1DX III is that the DIGIC X can handle significantly higher throughputs than the previous digics.

Upvote 0
90mp sounds great, but will there ever be something for hybrid shooters? )= the window for switching to RF is closing for me and I know many others have already gone the a7S III route ... I doubt C70 will have photo capabilities / full frame and Canon is silent on the R5 issues ... gonna wait till October and pull the trigger on whatever works best for me ... really wish there was a capable RF hybrid camera, but otherwise a7S III and upcoming full frame FX6 might also do the job.
Lol...

You are talking about hybrid shooting and the cameras that comes to your mind are the a7s and the fx6...

Upvote 0