Industry News: The Sony Alpha a7c leaks ahead of the official announcement

I have an a6100, which has a similar grip to this. If you're into photography in any serious capacity, this kind of grip is absolutely maddening to use. Your thumb will always be mashing buttons unintentionally, and your other 4 fingers won't even fit. And I have pretty average size hands. The only reason I still use it is because my R6 pre-order hasn't come in yet. That compact size comes at a huge cost, for me at least.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The fierce competition between camera makers seems to be creating a new golden age for photography. There are so many amazing cameras out there and they each keep trying to make them better, whether they are useful for your needs or not.
To me it seems to be creating the Golden Age of Noise, I don't see the creatives being more or less creative, and I don't mean YouTube 'creatives' even though none of them seem to push themselves that hard.

I think the reason is true creatives push past obstacles and difficulties and just make what they have work for their creations. All the added tech does most of the time is enable lesser mortals to get the same type of images without the creativity.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I have an a6100, which has a similar grip to this. If you're into photography in any serious capacity, this kind of grip is absolutely maddening to use. Your thumb will always be mashing buttons unintentionally, and your other 4 fingers won't even fit. And I have pretty average size hands. The only reason I still use it is because my R6 pre-order hasn't come in yet. That compact size comes at a huge cost, for me at least.

The grip is much different. Think more A7iii. Remember this is using the same Z battery as the A7siii, A7r3&4 and A7iii.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Wonder how it will be priced. Would the upcoming cheaper Eos R have similar specs to this at less than 999$.
But I don't get those minuscule and cheap full frame cameras. In the end you're gonna mount on them a big and expensive lens. And if you mount a lens with modest focal range and aperture, what's the point of going full frame? What's that on the camera? A 28-60 f4-5.6? Please. For that focal range it should be an f4. But it needs to be small so...

Upvote 0
The grip is much different. Think more A7iii. Remember this is using the same Z battery as the A7siii, A7r3&4 and A7iii.

Even the grip on the a7iii is horrible. And this one is certainly less robust, judging by the pictures. You’re going to have a very not fun time with this camera if you try to use bigger lenses on it.

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
Anything that adds pressure to reduce the R6 price tag is useful to me. This camera doesn't seem useful to me.
I think this thing is going to cost $2K, but have worse specs than the R6, so no dice there.

I know it's not realistic, but I do wish Canon would put out an IBIS equipped body in the sub $2K range.

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
Even the grip on the a7iii is horrible. And this one is certainly less robust, judging by the pictures. You’re going to have a very not fun time with this camera if you try to use bigger lenses on it.
Yes... even with the battery grip it still sucks. A dealbreaker for me. My days with Sony were numbered as soon as I gripped the R for the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I’m not sure. Isn’t this EOS M territory for the non-gearheads? If the average consumer looks at this, the lenses will be more $ and bigger than the apsc MILCs, no? I know I (and surely the rest of the readers of a rumor forum) care about FF sensor advantages. But, for someone looking to upgrade their cellphone... can’t see this costing less than it comparable to APSC.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It doesn't look any smaller than their other cameras. But maybe that is just me.
Its a fullframe! From what it looks, they put it into a APS-C Body (like a6000). Thats truely impressive. For travel this is certainly a super great tool! For long hikes its always quite annoying to carry my 5D or now R5...

Its nice to see some trends like this :)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Would love a small RF canon FF like this as a backup/hiking body. However given the R5 and R6 I wonder how they would tackle the internal heat in an even smaller body.
Totaly agree! That would be awesome!
Maybe with a pancake RF 50mm f2.0 that would a an incredible travel companion. Or maybe a small 16-30mm RF lens with f 5.6 or something, just to keep it small. while hiking most FF cameras get pretty heavy after some hours... even with a good belt system..

Upvote 0
Olympus Stylus 80 Wide: 120x64x49 (with lens!)

I wish we had some of our FF digital cameras as compact as our film P&S cameras used to be.
Sony tried with the RX1 but you cant beat physics just yet for lens size, tho I read an MIT research where they figured out how to make lenses less then 1” thick, even a 300mm!

Upvote 0