Are there two version of the RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming? [CR1]

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
How would you go about that?

If I were doing it, I would mask the subject out from the background and add a tasteful amount of gaussian blur.

It can also be done in Lightroom, an adjustment brush, for the background, then apply the "Clarity" slider to the left.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Where's the consumer glass?
I guess it depends on your definition of consumer glass, but among all the lenses they've released I'd call the below ones consumer lenses, which together account for 40% of the RF lineup released to date.

RF 24-240
RF 35 f/1.8
RF 800MM f/11
RF 600mm f/11
RF 85 f/2
RF 24-105 f/4-7.1

Obviously they're missing the f/4 trinity, but I'm not sure I'd suggest Canon is neglecting consumer glass, no more than big white super-tele's anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Don’t care about DS, only care that it has a short minimum focusing distance — and that they use the Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics element like the 85 1.2, which is missing from the 50 1.2.

I would be shocked if BSRO wasn't included in the RF 35/1.2 L, since it was innovated for the EF 35/1.4 L II.

Then again, like you say, it is missing from the RF 50/1.2 L. Hmm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
[QUOTE = "addola, post: 866609, membro: 376788"]
Não acho "Defocus Smoothing" atraente. É muito melhor não perder 1,3 pontos de luz para um efeito que eu posso facilmente fazer no post se eu quiser.

Acho que a próxima linha de RF precisa é
  1. Uma lente macro com 1: 1 ou até maior do que a ampliação em tamanho real com AF (para esse fator de surpresa)
  2. Um substituto para o EF135 / 2L, já que não é atualizado há algum tempo.
  3. 35mm rápido
  4. Então, talvez, lentes brancas longas e rápidas para esportes profissionais e vida selvagem.
[/CITAR]
+
1 panqueca

Upvote 0
The 35mm f/1.2 DS will have the light gathering of a f/2.0 lens if the tech hasn't changed from the 85.
That's the tradeoff of these apodization designs but it will have f/1.2 diffraction discs shaped to a gentle falloff - by the apodization design. And keeping T/2 at shutter speeds of 1/50 /180° needs those gray filters too in a lot of lighting conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Wide-angles are EXACTLY the type of lens the mirrorless cameras should be able to do far better than the SLRs, because the lens design needn't be compromised by the question of leaving room for the mirror.

I expect an RF 35/1.4 would leave the EF in the dust.

I'd say the RF 50/1.2 has literally 10x the resolution of the EF, and that's not even a wide-angle. (10x area means about 3x linear. And the resolution charts show the RF 50 has the contrast at 30lp/mm that the EF does at 10lp/mm. Ergo it's safe to say it's something like 10x sharper.)

The EF 50 1.2 is a rather old and relatively simple design (not bashing that lens, there were likely reasons why they did it like that). The EF 35 1.4 II is a newer, significantly more complex and also very well corrected design. There's no comparable 50 mm lens in the EF lineup as that generation has been skipped by Canon, maybe because the RF 50 was already in the pipeline.

Therefore I don't think that the EF <-> RF resolution comparison for the 50 mm lenses can simply be carried over to the 35 mm lenses. And while primes will likely leave more room for improvements than zooms, we've seen with the 2.8 RF zooms that while there were improvements in resolution and optical quality in general, those improvements weren't huge. The latest EF zoom designs were already very good in terms of technical qualities.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Wide-angles are EXACTLY the type of lens the mirrorless cameras should be able to do far better than the SLRs, because the lens design needn't be compromised by the question of leaving room for the mirror.

I expect an RF 35/1.4 would leave the EF in the dust.

I'd say the RF 50/1.2 has literally 10x the resolution of the EF, and that's not even a wide-angle. (10x area means about 3x linear. And the resolution charts show the RF 50 has the contrast at 30lp/mm that the EF does at 10lp/mm. Ergo it's safe to say it's something like 10x sharper.)

Retro focus lens designs are generally used for SLR focal lengths less than 35mm. However, mirrorless designs still have a mount flange, so for ultra wides, a retro fcosu design may still be required. Canon could easily have created an ef 50mm f1.2 L that matched the RF 50mm f1.2 L optics but chose not too. The Zeiss Otus 50mm f1.4 and Sigma Art 50mm F1.4 are good examples of other brands fullfilling that particular brief. The EF 50mm f1.2 L isn't a retrofocus design, it's just one that was compromised for the need to be small, compact, bright and relatively cheap to build (Canon was going through a strange design phase at the time). It's easily the weakest L prime in the EF range.
An EF 35mm f1.4 doesn't need to have a retro focus design. So the assumption that a newer RF 35mm f1.4 would be optically superior could only point to a newer and superior design that has little to do with mount (EF vs RF). I think there would be more optical gains for an ultra wide zoom or a 24mm f1.4 on the RF mount. However, I've never found the ef 24mm f1.4 or 35mm f1.4 lacking optically. Maybe in a 50+mp world results will be different. But for wide open lenses...bokeh and rendering is king and not absolute sharpness. Stop down a few stops and most of the EF lenses are sharper than most zooms.

Upvote 0