Canon Speedlite EL-1 information leaks out ahead of the official announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Below is some Google Translated information from Canon marketing material about the upcoming Canon Speedlite EL-1, which is the new flagship Speedlite for the EOS lineup.
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Information (Google Translated):
Stabilization of light emission amount and improvement of continuous light emission performance

By adopting a newly developed highly durable xenon tube, it suppresses variations in the amount of light emitted and realizes stable light emission.
Equipped with a newly developed active cooling system that uses a blower fan and glass panel. By circulating air inside the strobe, the temperature rise of the heat spot is suppressed. Heat resistance is improved by combining with a highly durable xenon tube, and the number of continuous light emission is about 160 times.

Minimal emission of 1/8192

By adopting a newly developed xenon tube and improving the accuracy of light emission control, stable minute light emission of at least 1/8192 is...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
This says it will use a new, compact lithium ion battery that uses the same charger as the new cameras. However, the new cameras support in-camera battery charging with USB-C, so I don't carry the battery charger anymore... The question is, will the Speedlite support USB-C charging, or am I going to have to start carrying a charger again?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Looks good! That fast recharge rate will work well for macro stacking! Also, the battery lever display is a very good idea.
Hopefully next macro light will use this battery pack as this speedlight.

Edit: with built in fan dont this light will be weather sealed which will restrict outdoor use but for indoor shooting a perfect light. For outdoor/harsh environments 600ex-RT might still be better choice.

Upvote 0
Looks pretty impressive. $800usd? $600?
And cost less than €1000.
Nokishita Camera said ¥139,700, which is equivalent to $1,200 / €1,230 (incl. 20% VAT for the latter).

They put a question mark at the end of the sentence though, which means they doubt it themselves.

スピードライト「EL-1」は139,700円?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Nokishita Camera said ¥139,700, which is equivalent to $1,200 / €1,230 (incl. 20% VAT for the latter).

They put a question mark at the end of the sentence though, which means they doubt it themselves.

スピードライト「EL-1」は139,700円?
I can't recall what the EX600 was at launch, but, its like $500usd-ish now. $1200 seems like too big a jump.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I personally would be fine picking up one or two of this flash if it was in the $600 range like the 600 was at launch. $1200 is a leap, I'd probably pick up a single one used or refurbished if the street price went below $800.

I do actually really appreciate the lower power options and the example they give. I could see this being super helpful to balance the ambient light in very dark situations, as even the lowest power on any previous flashes was often way too high for the ambient light. This will be a big plus for ETTL too, since you can better balance for event shooting.

The new battery and battery indicator are both exciting to me. I love that the battery also takes the same charger as the LP-E6. Hopefully they aren't too expensive.

FE memory mode would be super helpful. I know so many times I test with ETTL as a baseline, would be awesome to always start at ETTL and then adjust up/down in manual mode as needed for each flash.

Modeling light could be interesting if it's effective at all for video in low light.

Also interested to see what the new joystick looks like. Hopefully this means way more intuitive menus and all that jazz!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0