Industry News: You can finally preorder the Zeiss ZX1, but it’ll cost you

Sep 20, 2020
If you were in the market for a fixed lens camera of this type and has that kind of money to spend on one, why wouldn't you get the Leica Q2 over this for about $1K LESS money, and get the more prestige name to go along with it?
People use this same argument when comparing expensive exotic cars.
The truth is that anyone who buys this camera already has a collection of Liecas and Hasselblads.
This would just be another toy added to the collection.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Whose the target audience for this camera?

One could add $200, and get an R5 & Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4, and gain an f-stop, the versatility of interchangeable lenses, better ergonomics, etc. As for the integrated Lightroom, I can't imagine who would buy this camera and wouldn't buy a smartphone that would be a better editing platform.
I guess its more for the people with more money than common sense. And for people that just like photography and are not into a professional workflow. With the fixed lense its certainly not a professionals choice, since you cant do 90% of the regual work with it. (at least that would apply to me).
But I think these people are allready catered for by LEICA. They got beautiful, overpriced cameras that got at least some buttons and ergonomics that are not as aweful as this monstrosity. And they got at least some style and a decent picture style. This ZEISS thing is certainly beyond me - 6000USD........ The price for a professional tool, but not the specs. And the Price of designers choice like a LEICA, but not the stlye and handling from it...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
When I was on 300 days/yr business travel I was using my EOS M+22mm F2 (3.2 in FF terms). Though I could not edit / download the pictures onto my work laptop.
There are clear use cases for this, or do you think a wealthy person carries a laptop with them or a business traveller a private one?

And neither has a smartphone which would do a better job than a camera with a 4.34" screen?!

I'm not wealthy, but if I took $6,000 of camera equipment, I'd take a mini laptop as well.

Upvote 0
Owning both the QP and Q2.... it would be a hard sell for this Zeiss. The Q's is still my favorite carry. The Q2 has not much more to offer over the Q except weathering. I find the Q2's files a bear to deal with so even now the QP goes nearly everywhere with me... for 2015 they sure got that Q near perfection. Plus 28mm is my preferred FL with 35 my second favorite.

Baby...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And neither has a smartphone which would do a better job than a camera with a 4.34" screen?!

I'm not wealthy, but if I took $6,000 of camera equipment, I'd take a mini laptop as well.
Maybe the user experience sucks on the zeiss, that's certainly a sticking point.
have you used LR mobile?
- 3 clicks on the camera to set to connect to phone
- change phone to camera network
- start app, select pictures
- 10 seconds per image on my R5, 20s+ on my R
- importing pictures by selecting clicking each one, jpeg only as canon app doesn't support sending raw,
- do edits which is fun
- then exporting to jpeg again
- then your camera roll shows duplicates, which will be picked up by amazon photos or google photos
- then the instagram workflow... with selecting again

zeiss could be as easy as:
- click on image
- edit (slightly less fun)
- export to instagram (20s per image)

also, computer downsides:
- needs fast-ish computer for enjoable workflow due to overhead of windows/mac
- small laptop usually cuts corners, resolutions, color reproduction, hard drive size
- sd card workflow
- have to set aside time to do it
- no instagram upload (fully disabled now)
... let's put it this way, i would not do it sitting in a taxi to the airport

and cost comparison:
- shitty editing computer: 800gbp, 1kg
- canon rp, 1000 gbp, 600g
- canon rf 35mm 1.8mm, 500 gbp, 300g
- + extra cables, sd card reader
... 2kg, 2.5k gbp

not clear cut at all

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Maybe the user experience sucks on the zeiss, that's certainly a sticking point.

Yes, it is.

have you used LR mobile?

No. I like having a big screen and a keyboard.

also, computer downsides:
- needs fast-ish computer for enjoable workflow due to overhead of windows/mac
- small laptop usually cuts corners, resolutions, color reproduction, hard drive size
- sd card workflow
- have to set aside time to do it
- no instagram upload (fully disabled now)
... let's put it this way, i would not do it sitting in a taxi to the airport

* I doubt LR is going to run faster on a camera than it is on a laptop, even with the "overhead of windows/mac".
* Resolution & color reproduction? Really? Took me 1 minutes to find a $200 10" laptop with the same resolution. I doubt the Zeiss' screen has good color reproduction.
* The target audience of this camera is never going to copy photos to a computer? Really?
* The time to boot the computer and copy the files will be offset by time saved editing with proper keyboard and large screen.
* Because editing on a 4.34" screen during a taxi ride to the airport will give quality results? Oh, please.
* Spending $6,000, edit on a 4.34" screen, and upload to instagram. Now, that's living.

and cost comparison:
- shitty editing computer: 800gbp, 1kg
- canon rp, 1000 gbp, 600g
- canon rf 35mm 1.8mm, 500 gbp, 300g
- + extra cables, sd card reader
... 2kg, 2.5k gbp

* I doubt the ZX1 will be a better editing monster than a 1kg $300 mini laptop.
* Price wise, R5 + Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 would cost you $200 extra.
* There are SD card readers the size of a thumb drive, and mini laptop can charge via USB, so no cables.
* The ZX1 weighs 800 grams. The R5 is 738 gram with card and battery, and the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 is 830 grams.
* So the difference is $500 and <2kg. Small price to avoid editing on a shitty 4.34" screen.

Upvote 0
No. I like having a big screen and a keyboard.

LR mobile editing works very well, the subset of features it has work extremely well with touch.

also you're completely off on the laptop screens, watch Dave2D or something.
if you want an HDR screen as you can find in the latest phones, or at least 95% sRGB you're spending 800gbp, i.e. a razer blade stealth 12" 2018 used. yes USB-C, but all those laptops have PD requirement, so you need a charger either way.

feels like i'm arguing 2007 iphone vs. a 2007 nokia user... sure compare specs but the user experience matters.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
LR mobile editing works very well, the subset of features it has work extremely well with touch.

Even on a 4.34" screen?

if you want an HDR screen as you can find in the latest phones

Sure, fine by me. Why not use an R5, Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4, and LR on your smartphone?

or at least 95% sRGB you're spending 800gbp, i.e. a razer blade stealth 12" 2018 used.

I don't recall seeing the ZX1 screen being HDR or 95% sRGB in the specs.

yes USB-C, but all those laptops have PD requirement, so you need a charger either way.

You're taking a $6,000 camera, but your smartphone and laptop can't share a PD charger because...? You're using a 2007 Nokia?

Edit: The R5 can be charged via USB PD. My understanding of the spec is the ZX1 is charged via an AC adapter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Owning both the QP and Q2.... it would be a hard sell for this Zeiss. The Q's is still my favorite carry. The Q2 has not much more to offer over the Q except weathering. I find the Q2's files a bear to deal with so even now the QP goes nearly everywhere with me... for 2015 they sure got that Q near perfection. Plus 28mm is my preferred FL with 35 my second favorite.

Baby...

Very nice.
I took the plunge this week myself..I have the Leica M10 Monochrom on its way to me, hope to have it this Friday and go shoot me some B&W!!!

Ugh..I'm broke now tho...whew. Now I'll have 2 rangefinders...that and the Fuji GSW690 III.
;)
One for monochrome one for color (film)....

cayenne

Upvote 0
Very nice.
I took the plunge this week myself..I have the Leica M10 Monochrom on its way to me, hope to have it this Friday and go shoot me some B&W!!!

Ugh..I'm broke now tho...whew. Now I'll have 2 rangefinders...that and the Fuji GSW690 III.
;)

cayenne

Nice !!! Haven't gone the monochrom route yet. What lens are you pairing it with? I love the 28 Elmarit ASPH or a dreamy 35. The 28 is perfection in my mind but the 35 Summicron ASPH is superb too. I do have a M10P but I truly do prefer my M's to shoot film, especially for B&W. I still prefer the look of my black and white images in film. Everything else Lecia is M3 thru M6 with multiple M4's. Something about 1969 just feels good groovy to me :)

How's that GSW treating you? I never got much time with it but always had high hopes.

Hope all is well and everyone is staying healthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Very nice.

;)

cayenne
Enjoy your M 10 with the world's best wide-angles , standards and short teles...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Nice !!! Haven't gone the monochrom route yet. What lens are you pairing it with? I love the 28 Elmarit ASPH or a dreamy 35. The 28 is perfection in my mind but the 35 Summicron ASPH is superb too. I do have a M10P but I truly do prefer my M's to shoot film, especially for B&W. I still prefer the look of my black and white images in film. Everything else Lecia is M3 thru M6 with multiple M4's. Something about 1969 just feels good groovy to me :)

How's that GSW treating you? I never got much time with it but always had high hopes.

Howdy!!

Well, I've succumbed to my GAS problems over the past year...and with the M10M body, I'm about broke (I also got a GFX100 earlier this year)....so, I can't afford real Leica glass.
I started out with the Voightlander Voltron 35mm f/2.

So far, it is quite a hoot.

I think this is going to be fun and really stretch me as a photographer, learning to "see" in B&W, how to try to ignore the colors and see differences in tonality.

The GSW is SO cool!! I've shot a little bit with it and it was my first rangefinder training camera!!

Here's a couple I popped off with the GSW....the gingerbread house was to quick finish off a roll, and the truck was in City Park here in New Orleans.
A colorful city for sure.

2020_09_City_Park_04.jpg2020_09_Gingerbread_House_1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Howdy!!

Well, I've succumbed to my GAS problems over the past year...and with the M10M body, I'm about broke (I also got a GFX100 earlier this year)....so, I can't afford real Leica glass.
I started out with the Voightlander Voltron 35mm f/2.

So far, it is quite a hoot.

I think this is going to be fun and really stretch me as a photographer, learning to "see" in B&W, how to try to ignore the colors and see differences in tonality.

The GSW is SO cool!! I've shot a little bit with it and it was my first rangefinder training camera!!

Here's a couple I popped off with the GSW....the gingerbread house was to quick finish off a roll, and the truck was in City Park here in New Orleans.
A colorful city for sure.

View attachment 193460View attachment 193461

Wow these look great. I shot about 30 rolls with it. Mainly Ektar and Portra. Glad your using it !!!

Yea, Leicas can be a slippery slope for sure... with GAS that is. Many can't understand the cost and I'm sure you've heard all the other grief other camera photogs have with Leica but.... now that you own one and are using it how you feeling now? As you know I am not beholden to one maker but I do love Leicas. It's one of the only tools I have absolutely no qualms about carrying. I have never once thought I should have taken another camera but then again I shoot mainly people, street and urban. If I wear into sports, BIF or long tele work that might be different or I might have the SL2.

As for lenses I'm not a Leica lens snoob. If you're going to try some non-Leica gear I have a few suggestions you might wanna try. Those Voigtlander's are great lenses and since your shooting monochrom there are some really nice FL they offer. On my M10 they don't work as well due to some color smearing in the corners but in BW its non-existent. I'd take a look at the 28 Color-Skopar (rarer) or the 21mm Color-Skopar. I picked up both for film and I love the 28mm... it is every bit as good as the Elmarit or Summicron in IQ. I shot the 21mm for many years great lens and can be had for 150ish on sale occasionally. I shoot the 28 FL more these days but won't let the 21 go. Then there is Avenon 28mm (circa 70's) it is truly superb and tiny making your M10 pocketable. Canon 50 f1.4 LTM (aka the Japanese Summilux)... yumm. Creamy and dreamy, can be had for under 200. Just make sure there are very few cleaning marks on the front element.

I'll be looking for some M10 mono reviews from ya in a bit. Not sure I would go for another M10 but the monochrom piqued my interest a few times.

Stay safe out there Cayenne ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Wow these look great. I shot about 30 rolls with it. Mainly Ektar and Portra. Glad your using it !!!

Yea, Leicas can be a slippery slope for sure... with GAS that is. Many can't understand the cost and I'm sure you've heard all the other grief other camera photogs have with Leica but.... now that you own one and are using it how you feeling now? As you know I am not beholden to one maker but I do love Leicas. It's one of the only tools I have absolutely no qualms about carrying. I have never once thought I should have taken another camera but then again I shoot mainly people, street and urban. If I wear into sports, BIF or long tele work that might be different or I might have the SL2.

As for lenses I'm not a Leica lens snoob. If you're going to try some non-Leica gear I have a few suggestions you might wanna try. Those Voigtlander's are great lenses and since your shooting monochrom there are some really nice FL they offer. On my M10 they don't work as well due to some color smearing in the corners but in BW its non-existent. I'd take a look at the 28 Color-Skopar (rarer) or the 21mm Color-Skopar. I picked up both for film and I love the 28mm... it is every bit as good as the Elmarit or Summicron in IQ. I shot the 21mm for many years great lens and can be had for 150ish on sale occasionally. I shoot the 28 FL more these days but won't let the 21 go. Then there is Avenon 28mm (circa 70's) it is truly superb and tiny making your M10 pocketable. Canon 50 f1.4 LTM (aka the Japanese Summilux)... yumm. Creamy and dreamy, can be had for under 200. Just make sure there are very few cleaning marks on the front element.

I'll be looking for some M10 mono reviews from ya in a bit. Not sure I would go for another M10 but the monochrom piqued my interest a few times.

Stay safe out there Cayenne ;)

LOL...Slippery slope indeed.

Yes, I have to say, I'd been VERY skeptical about the whole Leica "aura" for want of a better term, but I have to say, it felt really good when I picked up and used my first one I'd ever touched.
It is nice.
It has a surprising heft to it for such a small camera. And I think while I've long eschewed the need for small and light, I do see this as being a fun camera that I will carry with me more often on just a casual jaunt out and about whereas I do leave the larger DSLR's, mirrorless and film cameras at home.

And with it being unusual in being monochrome ONLY...well, that just adds to my enjoyment of it.

Frankly I used to not be able to figure why folks spent so damned much money on Leicas that did less, but with one in hand, I do see the appeal.

Now I STILL think it costs way too much, but at this point, I don't see any other manufacturers putting out a camera like this, digital monochrome, so being that its the only one I know of on the market (I think Phase One used to do one, but that's even MORE $$)....I could justify it.

And with lenses...whew...damned things can cost more than the camera. I'm trying to ascertain if they are some of the best glass made as some claim.

But for now, I'm doing to play with 3rd party glass, I got the Voightlander Ultron 35mm f/2 and so far, it is very nice.

I plan to play with some cheaper vintage glass too.....with the thought that chromatic aberrations found in old lenses won't really bother me in a monochrome camera, I'm of the thought that they will be fun to work with....and easy to do with all the adapters out there.

Thank you for the suggestions to try. I did pick up the EVF for the M10M, and got a good price used on eBay, so, focusing non-rangefinder lenses is not a problem using that.

I just will have to save more $$, for those darned batteries that are apparently $200 a pop!!
:O

Anyway, I'd not planned to buy any more gear this year....but this came up and now I"m truly broke.

I'd planned to let the Canon R5 mature a bit and see how it did after a couple of firmware updates.

With announcements of a possible R1 and some other interested potential releases next year (2021)....well, it might not be a bad idea to just wait and see what comes at me.

For now I'm covered. My trusty Canon 5D3 is still quite functional and makes great images. I have the GFX100 for image intensive projects, I have my medium format film cameras for playing there...and now, this Leica likely will become my main "just carry around" town camera.

I live in New Orleans, and there's always something happening or somewhere to shoot, even with pandemics going on. And B&W just suits this city with the landscape and the culture.

OH well, back to the day job...I gotta earn money to buy batteries.
;)

cayenne

Upvote 0
And with lenses...whew...damned things can cost more than the camera. I'm trying to ascertain if they are some of the best glass made as some claim.

In one word.... yes.

Are they so good that you will feel less carrying other makers, no. On that front I'm not an "only Leica" kinda guy. I think where Leica lenses are really a cut above the rest is in BOTH IQ and size. They are superb (even vintage models).. I still lust after a nice Noctilux 50. I owned one, sold it and still regret it. Unfortunately when I used it, it's one of the few Leica models that throws the entire weight of the body off and wasn't fun for me to use at all is reality. Plus your walking around with close to 20k+ dangling. It is dreamy though.

Ahh, yeah batteries. They are a bi#ch... but you really only need one as I have never exhausted either the M10, QP, or Q2 battery even in a heavy days use. I must admit though I always carry at least one spare and I bet you will too. Enjoy poverty for a bit :LOL:JKing...

Are you going to post any images here? Or do you have IG, or... I'd love to see the output.

Cheers, David...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
In one word.... yes.

Are they so good that you will feel less carrying other makers, no. On that front I'm not an "only Leica" kinda guy. I think where Leica lenses are really a cut above the rest is in BOTH IQ and size. They are superb (even vintage models).. I still lust after a nice Noctilux 50. I owned one, sold it and still regret it. Unfortunately when I used it, it's one of the few Leica models that throws the entire weight of the body off and wasn't fun for me to use at all is reality. Plus your walking around with close to 20k+ dangling. It is dreamy though.

Ahh, yeah batteries. They are a bi#ch... but you really only need one as I have never exhausted either the M10, QP, or Q2 battery even in a heavy days use. I must admit though I always carry at least one spare and I bet you will too. Enjoy poverty for a bit :LOL:JKing...

Are you going to post any images here? Or do you have IG, or... I'd love to see the output.

Cheers, David...

Well, I just got the external EVF (visioflex 020?)...to use with adapted 3rd party lenses.
I have some old Nikon F manual lenses and some other EF mount manual lenses I'm playing with, including the interesting Lomography Petzval and lomogon brass lenses and the fun Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro lens.....so far, these are giving me really interesting images on the monochrom.

With the latter, I'm even having fun shooting plants growing down in the street storm drains, and the odd smashed bottle cap and run over Childs toy I found in the street....

But I found that my first outing with the visioflex, it ate up battery pretty quick, even with me turning camera off/on as needed.

I wouldn't mind posting pics here, but not sure how that would set with the canon forum rules?

I don't do social media, so, no IG or FB or twitter, or......(insert other evil privacy sucking site here, haha).....

Here's a couple from my first day out with the M10M...please bear in mind, that these were mostly me trying to figure out the full manual camera, with my light meter and calculating exposure with yellow and orange filters, and trying to see contract AND....maybe being a little abstract.

So, no masterpieces here.
;)2020_10_Leica_Mono_First_Shots_025.jpg2020_10_Leica_Mono_First_Shots_035.jpg2020_10_Leica_Mono_First_Shots_058.jpg2020_10_Leica_Mono_First_Shots_096.jpg2020_10_Leica_Mono_First_Shots_106.jpgHDR_Fort_St_John_Chimney.jpgHDR_Fort_St_John_Trees.jpg

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Agreed, the 28mm Elmarit Asph is wonderful.
If ever you can find one: get the Summilux 1,4/75, a real Jekyll and Hyde lens.
Dreamy-creamy bokeish at f1,4, tack-sharp from f2,8.
Sadly, (but not for me:p), it has become sought-after and expensive.
As to the Voigtlanders, they don't stand a chance against the Asph. or Apo M lenses, but are indeed an alternative compared to the older M glass.A very good option are the 2,8/25mm and 2,8/35mm Zeiss ZM lenses, optically superb...but, important for the 25mm, lack 6 bit coding.

Upvote 0