EOS R5 External Charging

Hi

Has anyone tested the external charging of the EOS R5 yet? I'm particularly interested in using the camera for longer timelapses where I have to come up with a solution for extended power supply. I tested the USB power adapter with a powerbank already, but it didin't seem to work... Maybe because the voltage of the USB outlet is too low?
I also tried my dummie LP-6N batterie which was connected to a DC output that I use for my Mark IV and 6d, but the R5 only gave me an error message (Batterie Power too low, please change batterie)....

Has anyone made tests or came up with solutions so far?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've seen reports of people using a USB-PD capable powerbank to power the R5 over the USB-C port during longer (video)shoots and the result seems to be that the R5 will get most of its power from the powerbank. It will still drain the internal battery, but much slower than without the powerbank attached.

The R5 will only charge the internal batteries when it's powered off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The manual covers powering the camera from USB. Apparently, its only for a limited time, it says use a fully charged battery. See the last bullet below.

I've found my R to show low voltage when I used my old dummy battery and power supply, but it works just the same.

View attachment 192391
Can you illuminate me on this dummy's construction?

Jack

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I've used a 2019 MacBook Pro USB-C charger to charge my EOS R5 inbetween shoots if the battery isn't low enough to warrant swapping a whole battery out, works great and charges pretty fast. Doesn't show any issues when powering it as well, which will be great for long studio shoots.

I also have one of these which works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WNWRNC

The Power Delivery(PD) Anker charges the R5 great and pretty fast over the USB-C to USB-C connection. You need a battery pack that is labeled "Power Delivery" in order to have enough strength to power the R5. One thing I've found is helpful is looking at what's advertised to power a Nintendo Switch, which also uses Power Delivery USB-C charging. Normally the companies will put "PD" in the product name to indicate power delivery.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have a dummy battery which also needs a usb power via pd (only one of my mains chargers worked). Haven’t tried any rechargeable larger batteries to but in due course I will.

I could only get ismart in HK, but they make 3rd party batteries for canon cameras so I was fairly happy. Got one for the lp e17 for the M6 also. Both powered up (r5 and m6 ii) but that’s as far as I got...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Can you illuminate me on this dummy's construction?

Jack
Its one that came with my Case Relay. They are available on Amazon for most common battery types. As someone noted, the power connector on them can be incompatible. Canon uses a dummy battery that requires a Canon power supply in order to get a reliable connection, because the id of the connector socket is larger. Using a Canon coupler with a standard power supply might result in a poor connection if the plug is not the right one.

Upvote 0
I've used a 2019 MacBook Pro USB-C charger to charge my EOS R5 inbetween shoots if the battery isn't low enough to warrant swapping a whole battery out, works great and charges pretty fast. Doesn't show any issues when powering it as well, which will be great for long studio shoots.

I also have one of these which works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WNWRNC

The Power Delivery(PD) Anker charges the R5 great and pretty fast over the USB-C to USB-C connection. You need a battery pack that is labeled "Power Delivery" in order to have enough strength to power the R5. One thing I've found is helpful is looking at what's advertised to power a Nintendo Switch, which also uses Power Delivery USB-C charging. Normally the companies will put "PD" in the product name to indicate power delivery.
I bought on of these , Anker Power Bank, PowerCore 26800mAh Portable Charger .I can't get it to charge , using Anker USB to USB C lead. Camera is off , batteries a 50 % , no green charging indication :confused:

Upvote 0

Rendil

Canon EOS R5
CR Pro
Jun 4, 2020
Sacramento
www.ktphotovideo.net
I bought on of these , Anker Power Bank, PowerCore 26800mAh Portable Charger .I can't get it to charge , using Anker USB to USB C lead. Camera is off , batteries a 50 % , no green charging indication :confused:

On that one the PD port is the USB-C port so you will need to go USB-C to USB-C.

The USB-A port does not offer power delivery.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks, much appreciated (y) Its micro USB ( not USB C) will it still work with USB-C to Micro USB ?

No, both ports need to be USB-C. But are you sure it's micro-usb? The "PowerCore 26800mAh Portable Charger" only has 2x USB-C + 3x USB A according to the Anker site, no micro-usb in sight.

Upvote 0
My Zendure USB-C PD battery pack has both USB-C and USB-A outlets. The USB-C outlet with a USB-C to USB-C cable charges my R5 w/battery grip fine. The charger has to be a USB-C type with Power Delivery (PD) to work. The USB-A outlet will charge things like your phone or tablet but laptops and cameras require the USB-C with PD. The USB-C PD connection goes through a negotiation process to talk to the device (your camera) and determine the power required. I've tried a USB-C 60-watt charger without PD and the camera doesn't charge. It appears that the Power Delivery capability is the key factor. I'm also using a $25 USB-C PD AC charger from Amazon to charge my BG-R10 battery grip and to make it even better included a Lenovo laptop charger cable that charges my T450s laptop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My Zendure USB-C PD battery pack has both USB-C and USB-A outlets. The USB-C outlet with a USB-C to USB-C cable charges my R5 w/battery grip fine. The charger has to be a USB-C type with Power Delivery (PD) to work. The USB-A micro outlet will charge things like your phone or tablet but laptops and cameras require the USB-C with PD. The USB-C PD connection goes through a negotiation process to talk to the device (your camera) and determine the power required. I've tried a USB-C 60-watt charger without PD and the camera doesn't charge. It appears that the Power Delivery capability is the key factor. I'm also using a $25 USB-C PD AC charger from Amazon to charge my BG-R10 battery grip and to make it even better included a Lenovo laptop charger cable that charges my T450s laptop.

I'm still saving for the R5 but it will be happening by this coming spring and charging is something that concerns me as well as extra batteries or a grip. Having been a 1DX 2 user I'm used to the extra weight but weight is something I'm interested in reducing. So, I certainly would be interested in some comments/feedback from those in the know. I'm older and not up on all the latest tech so that doesn't help in following these types of discussions.

Is this PD? - Poweriq 2. 0: our brand-new exclusive technology. Intelligently identifies your device to deliver the fastest possible charge.

Is the grip really worth it if you don't shoot portrait much (I'm used to rotating when needed and never use the 1DX in portrait orientation) or is a number of batteries in your pocket a good alternative. I guess FPS on reduced charge could be a big deal here??

Jack

Upvote 0
Is this PD? - Poweriq 2. 0: our brand-new exclusive technology. Intelligently identifies your device to deliver the fastest possible charge.

Is the grip really worth it if you don't shoot portrait much (I'm used to rotating when needed and never use the 1DX in portrait orientation) or is a number of batteries in your pocket a good alternative. I guess FPS on reduced charge could be a big deal here??

Jack
I'm guessing but I think the Power IQ 2.0 is not a PD type device. It is probably like the Samsung Fast Charger for android phones. My Samsung charger didn't work on my R5. According to the power meter, my camera draws about 1,400 ma @ 5.2 volts which should be possible with the Samsung. However, it doesn't seem to work. USB-C chargers have 3 or 4 modes they operate in depending on what type of device they are charging. The Power Delivery circuitry figures out what the device needs and supplies it, which is a different setup than a straight USB-C charger.

Personally, I carry three sets of batteries for my R5 with BG-R10 battery grip as I'm a belt and suspenders type. I've never used more than one set of batteries and assume that one set of batteries should last about 1,000 shots. Also from the rumor mill, people say that the camera/lenses can malfunction below 60%. I've never seen this but carry extra batteries just in case.

I like the Canon battery grip as it helps when shooting verticals due to the extra set of controls on the grip. The downsides are that it makes somewhat heavy camera even heavier. The underside of the R5 has two locator holes for pins in it. For some reason the battery grip does not and some L-brackets don't work, that have pins. I'd like to have the pins as they hold your external flash L-bracket square with the camera. I use a heavy Godox AD360ii 360-watt second flash and it's difficult to keep the L-bracket in place due to the weight of the flash head. Plus, most cages don't work. I've found one company that makes a cage for the camera with the battery grip.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm guessing but I think the Power IQ 2.0 is not a PD type device. It is probably like the Samsung Fast Charger for android phones. My Samsung charger didn't work on my R5. According to the power meter, my camera draws about 1,400 ma @ 5.2 volts which should be possible with the Samsung. However, it doesn't seem to work. USB-C chargers have 3 or 4 modes they operate in depending on what type of device they are charging. The Power Delivery circuitry figures out what the device needs and supplies it, which is a different setup than a straight USB-C charger.

Personally, I carry three sets of batteries for my R5 with BG-R10 battery grip as I'm a belt and suspenders type. I've never used more than one set of batteries and assume that one set of batteries should last about 1,000 shots. Also from the rumor mill, people say that the camera/lenses can malfunction below 60%. I've never seen this but carry extra batteries just in case.

I like the Canon battery grip as it helps when shooting verticals due to the extra set of controls on the grip. The downsides are that it makes somewhat heavy camera even heavier. The underside of the R5 has two locator holes for pins in it. For some reason the battery grip does not and some L-brackets don't work, that have pins. I'd like to have the pins as they hold your external flash L-bracket square with the camera. I use a heavy Godox AD360ii 360-watt second flash and it's difficult to keep the L-bracket in place due to the weight of the flash head. Plus, most cages don't work. I've found one company that makes a cage for the camera with the battery grip.

Thanks for this. I get annoyed because for some reason with Firefox CR posts get relegated to Spam, so I'm just now finding this. I tell the system it's not spam but it keeps happening to me.

Anyway I'm always looking for feedback in this regard. One thing about accessories like an L bracket, sometimes someone with good mechanical aptitude can identify some modification that will correct the issue and I'm wondering if that's possible in your case.

Jack

Upvote 0