Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

I can compose via OVF with my 5DSR better than with EVF on R5 when shooting Milky Way. There is enough ambient light to see through the OVF. Not so much the EVF. I need to use a flashlight to frame and check my edges on the R5. Not always an option when shooting at night.
True but when I have shot milky way with my R5 the only difference is a test shot to review the comp. The R5's sensor is better and the rear LCD is also better. real easy to see it :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The ability to retain detail when printing large for one. The ability to crop and still have plenty of pixels for printing as well. If you don’t need them, don’t buy them.
"Printing large" is the key. NOT landscape. My point. When printing large - be it a movie poster or advertisement, more MP help. If you are cropping landscape, friendly advice: Reconsider your technique. I always find it odd that people are conditioned to believe high MP is for landscape. And why so defensive in life? :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
There will be >8 cores coming but I think that they will be reserved for the Mac Pro and not so much the 16" MBpro. Given the performance increase for the M1 over the competition, I believe that the biggest difference for M2/16" MBpro will be memory shared for GPU/CPU. Happy to be wrong and have options for more cores but I don't think that that will be the major issue compared to screen space.
From Geekbench, the current maxed out 16" is 1095/6862 cf new 13" 1693/7309 so >+50%/+6% but that is only half the story as native video codecs will make the biggest difference.

The Apple M1 already has 8 Cores doesn't it so they must be planning more for the M2(?) 16" MBP so probbly double the cores and doube the memory (16Cores/32GB). Oh and doulble the price.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
What is the downside for "too fast" except for storage space and reviewing time? You could use the rate button in camera or delete easily in post. If card storage size is the problem then CRAW is a possibility. I will be shooting a karate black belt grading on Saturday with the R5 for the first time. Normally I would take ~1500-1800 shots on my 5Div but there will be a lot more shots with the faster frame rate and I only have 128GB cards. CRAW is a definite possibility for this scenario for me even though the shadow recovery could be an issue if the light is poor.

you'll be fine with shadow recovery, even with poor light and higher iso. There's no visible difference between craw and raw. This has been shown by multiple reviewers, and in my own testing where I shot an iso 3200 scene and totally wrecked and abused files taken in both formats at the same settings. They showed no difference after heavy editing (although I'd never ever edit a file in real life so badly and extreme) and viewed at 200%.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What is surprising to me is how little the 5Div has dropped in price over the last year or two. One thing is to keep milking as much profit for people unwilling to move to mirrorless but there are more and more second hand ones available from the people to have moved to mirrorless reducing new sales. Great camera but 4+ year old technology.

The question is whether a 5Dv will sell well (or sell enough). Putting a R5 inards into a 5Dv case gives a bit more breathing space for thermal movement but - similar to the 1DXiii - the best AF will be when holding the camera at arms length via the rear LCD. Save some money on the EVF but offset that with pentaprism and AF sensor.
I think that is exactly what Canon should do in just making the 5D a DSLR version of the R5.
It would have a flip screen so the lack of an EVF would not be as big of a deal.
For those who still want an EVF the Port Keys L-Eye is $400 and not as huge as some alternatives.
I would gladly pay extra for the use of an OVF for photography.
The only thing that I would miss is the opportunity for drop-in ND filters.
Built-in NDs would probably put 5D out of most people's price range but I could see something like that in a 1DX.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Given that this is not video focused I hope to God that the duel card slots are both SD. It would be prohibitively expensive to have to "load up" on CFast cards for such a high MP body.

Especially since it would probably use CFExpress cards, rendingyour CFast useless! lol. But your point is well taken. The cost of CFexpress is one thing keeping me from coughing up for an R5 at this point. I mean, I bought my last camera 8 years ago so its not like I don't get my money's worth. But 3900 camera + 250x2 memory cards + a 200 card reader is a LOT more than just buying an R6 and using SD cards I already have.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
"Printing large" is the key. NOT landscape. My point. When printing large - be it a movie poster or advertisement, more MP help.

Landscapes tend to be more challenging when it comes to fine detail. Now any modern FF camera 20mp and up can produce a competent 16x20/24" landscape print. But even at 16x20/24" some compositions may be more immersive with more MP and the right printer/paper combination. As you go larger MP starts to become very important to landscapes for critical viewers at close viewing distances.

Contrast this with portraits which used to scale pretty well to 16x20" with just 8-10mp. Sure there's more detail to record with higher MP and sharper glass. But it just doesn't seem as critical as the fine details in a landscape, so long as there are some sharp details in the portrait (notably the eyes). I felt like 6-8mp APS-C struggled with some landscapes even printed to 8x10. Never felt that way about an 8x10 portrait from those early DSLRs.

If you are cropping landscape, friendly advice: Reconsider your technique.

Yeah...it's easy to say that until you shoot regularly at higher MP. Then variations pop out at you while in PS or LR and you don't hesitate to crop because you've still got 20-35mp and it still looks good. That's true for all subject matter. IQ and cropping ability soundly trumped higher fps for me to the point that I'm shooting everything, even sports, with the 5Ds now. A 90mp R5s would just bring more flexibility to the table. Your crop might end up at 45-50mp which is still excellent for very large prints.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Landscapes tend to be more challenging when it comes to fine detail. Now any modern FF camera 20mp and up can produce a competent 16x20/24" landscape print. But even at 16x20/24" some compositions may be more immersive with more MP and the right printer/paper combination. As you go larger MP starts to become very important to landscapes for critical viewers at close viewing distances.

Contrast this with portraits which used to scale pretty well to 16x20" with just 8-10mp. Sure there's more detail to record with higher MP and sharper glass. But it just doesn't seem as critical as the fine details in a landscape, so long as there are some sharp details in the portrait (notably the eyes). I felt like 6-8mp APS-C struggled with some landscapes even printed to 8x10. Never felt that way about an 8x10 portrait from those early DSLRs.

Yeah...it's easy to say that until you shoot regularly at higher MP. Then variations pop out at you while in PS or LR and you don't hesitate to crop because you've still got 20-35mp and it still looks good. That's true for all subject matter. IQ and cropping ability soundly trumped higher fps for me to the point that I'm shooting everything, even sports, with the 5Ds now. A 90mp R5s would just bring more flexibility to the table. Your crop might end up at 45-50mp which is still excellent for very large prints.
That's a great post, dtaylor! I hadn't thought that much about the difference between landscapes vs people portraits when printing really big, but your comments make perfect sense. While all types of photos can benefit from better MP, some types can benefit more than others.

Regarding the issue of cropping, I'm a big fan of cropping since it gives you the flexibility to do whatever you want with the photo later in post. For some to say that those that crop need to "reconsider your technique" or sometimes sharper comments, I can just say I'm glad that they are happy without cropping. If I want to use a prime lens then I can't always adjust my position as needed, and moving subjects don't always stay where I want them to in the frame, and I don't think I'm such a brilliant photographer that my initial framing of the photo is always the best it could have ever been. And if I want to take pictures of birds far away then I may have to crop with the lens I happen to have, and I'll make the most out of whatever MP & IQ crop I get.

I'm looking forward to the R5s and hope that I can see enough better IQ to justify the step up from the R5 (which is already really great). My only use for the pixel shift feature would be for tripod shots of fixed subjects (typically landscapes with nothing moving), but I do a lot of that and hope that they pull it off. I don't know if any L lens can make full (sharp) use of a 360MP FF image, but I'll probably enjoy whatever IQ it can offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Varied fine detail. Landscapes. When you have rocks, sand, various fauna and flora, water, sky and or night sky, nature's studio can be tough to light and frame while retaining detail and DoF. I'll take high mp on a tripod for that any day, yes, a landscape body. Do what you want with any camera as for the most part it's about you and not the gear but there are exceptions to that in order to achieve the finest images as opposed to snapshots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Do you think there is talk/development of such a camera he isn't reporting?...

No. I asked @Canon Rumors Guy if his definitive declaration that there would be never be "another 5D DSLR," because "it would be an economic misstep if Canon made such a camera," was based on reporting from his sources or if that was just his opinion.

For, I don't know 40 years maybe, the most accurate predictor of what Canon would be doing has been to look at what Nikon is doing. Nikon has said they will be introducing new DSLR models and new lenses for DSLRs in the coming year. It would be a very significant development and very much out of character if Canon were to completely cede the DSLR market to Nikon. So, I'm just wondering if Canon Rumors Guy has sources that are confirming that, or if he is just voicing his own opinion, which he has every right to do, but which carries no more weight than the opinion of anyone else on this forum.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0