Industry News: Costco is closing all of their in-store photo centers on February 14, 2021

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Years ago when my aunt was visiting from Texas, she and Mother went through hundreds (thousands?) of family pictures and threw most away. The majority of them were of (or at least included) the dog my grandparents had when I was an infant. I don't remember him myself, but of course have heard stories and seen hundreds (thousands?) of pictures. None of my family wanted to store them forever, and we didn't have contact information for his family.

Somehow, I have inherited the pictures from both sides of my family. I even have the original of my great-grandfather in his Civil War uniform. I and the offspring of a late cousin are his only living descendants. One of the girls might be interested in the antiques from that side of the family, and maybe my friends who get the contents of my house will get her to take the pictures, too. I have scanned a few and printed out or sent JPEGs to cousins, and that really covers all they are interested in. Perhaps my favorite picture is Grandmother (my father's stepmother) on her wedding day surrounded by her new children. Daddy is the little guy about to turn 5 or 6. Uncle Carl looks like an adult.

Whether on paper or digital, photos are really considered disposable for most folks. My cousin who is the only living person who remembers Tippy the Wonderdog has no interest in pictures of him, just her grandson in Seattle, whom she can't visit right now. When people have asked me how much memory to get on their phones, I reply (even when I know), "Do you have grandchildren?"

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have about 3 TB worth of photos. I have been paid a few times but 99.999 % of my photos are unpaid. Some of us just like taking photos for themselves.
People on photo forums are outliers.

There are over 100 million EOS bodies and over 140 million EF lenses

This comes out as for every 1 EOS body there are 1.4 1st party lenses. Assuming 3rd party are 0.6 then it comes out as 1 body per 2 lenses on average.

I would hazard a guess that about 80% of EOS body buyers buy the kits with 1 lens and never add a 2nd lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For every tech savvy person I bet there is >1000 who have no clue. Plus, when you need to prioritize your budget due tp the economy, covid, etc these days, an iCloud or whatever backup plan might be on the short list of things to go.
The best thing about social media is that the world is your backup.
The cloud is another matter.
Private data lost is gone forever.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
People on photo forums are outliers.

There are over 100 million EOS bodies and over 140 million EF lenses

This comes out as for every 1 EOS body there are 1.4 1st party lenses. Assuming 3rd party are 0.6 then it comes out as 1 body per 2 lenses on average.

I would hazard a guess that about 80% of EOS body buyers buy the kits with 1 lens and never add a 2nd lens.

Even I got off to a better start than that. My first Rebel came with two kit lenses (the 18-55 and the 75-300) because I tacked on the value pack that included that lens and an extra battery. I still have one of those lenses, the other one got stolen with the camera. (Dumbass burglars ignored my 100mm (non L) macro that was worth much more than the camera.)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Even I got off to a better start than that. My first Rebel came with two kit lenses (the 18-55 and the 75-300) because I tacked on the value pack that included that lens and an extra battery. I still have one of those lenses, the other one got stolen with the camera. (Dumbass burglars ignored my 100mm (non L) macro that was worth much more than the camera.)
Big surprise you're on this photo forum for early adopters then. ;)

If the perp was any smarter he'd be earning his way to a Rebel rather than stealing one.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Same for my first Rebel, which also came with a case in the kit, which you didn’t mention. It was an impulse purchase when I went in to look at washers, dryers, and TVs. It turned out to be an expensive purchase. The body did OK, but higher ISOs were noisy. The 75-300 has a lot of CA. But it could do OK at f/11. I used it for the solar eclipse at that opening and the pictures were good.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The type of people who encrypt files are not the type of people who upload them to the cloud, especially not with Google.
Google is Big Brother incorperated.
And those aren’t the kind of people who are worried about Ai searching through their images. I was specifically replying to a poster that was, so they miss your generalization by one being here and two tech savvy enough to know about the digital conglomerates trolling everything you lend them to monetize.

But it seems they were not savvy enough to realize their concern is easily overcome.

Upvote 0
People don't have backups, not even a copy of their smartphone / PC?

Over the last serveral years I been deleting my digital files, and running negatives, slides, photo CDs, etc through a shreedder. I've been shooting with ILCs since the 1960s—that's a lot of photos. I don't have many photos that are over several weeks old—I cull my phone and cloud account constantly. When I need a sample of my editorial or advertising work, I have to get it of the internet.

No I don't have backups, or the orignals! That's by design!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Not at a volume to be profitable for a mass marketer.
So your point has now changed from one of people are not making trips in their own vehicles they are using ride sharing vehicles instead, which would mean the same mileage is covered ergo similar tyre wear, to there are now fewer trips carried out because people are using ride sharing apps?

I would speculate the popularity of ride sharing and total vehicle mileage covered are not well correlated.

Upvote 0
Hm...I don't know anyone that has stopped owning cars. IN fact, everyone I know has MULTIPLE cars in their driveways.

I've recently sold my car. I live in coastal Orange County, California. Where even the rats wear either Maui Jim or Oakly sunglasses :cool:

Heck, I don't see the demise of gasoline powered ICE vehicles in the US anytime really soon, even with electric vehicles starting to get slightly popular.

In Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, California there are more Tesla than Toyota vehicles. BMW i3 and i8 are also common. If you live in Sedalia, KS this is probably not true.

cayenne
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Big surprise you're on this photo forum for early adopters then. ;)

If the perp was any smarter he'd be earning his way to a Rebel rather than stealing one.

That was quite a number of years ago.

I originally came here to try to get some sense for where Canon was going; I've stuck around because it's educational. I wouldn't claim to be 1/100th of the photographer many people here are.

Upvote 0