Canon EOS 80D Announced

arbitrage said:
x-vision said:
Nininini said:
Newly Developed 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor

Ah, marketing. A more accurate statement would be:

"Old 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor from last year's 760D"

And here, my friend, you are completely wrong.

You must have missed all the discussions of Canon lagging behind Sony in DR (dynamic range).
Well, early indications are that the 1DXII and 80D are build on a new sensor architecture that will close the DR gap.
That is to say, the 80D sensor is indeed a brand new sensor from Canon.

Wanna bet that the 80D will get a better DxO score that the 5DIII?
8)

In regards to the new sensor, a member over at FM Forums (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1414458) posted the following that he got off a translation of the Japanese 80D site:

"In the 80D japanese site, Canon talks about a new sensor "miniaturization" process (we could understand this as using a higher integration scale), used for the 80D, and expressly acknowledges a improved dynamic range, using that words (if the Google translate is accurate enough). Also talks about better overall pixels, which would be great for all ISO settings:

High sensitivity and low noise, the evolution of the miniaturization process that supports a wide dynamic range.
Figure: gapless micro lens

Gapless micro lens

Aims to improve the aperture ratio of the photodiode in the CMOS sensor, it introduced a new miniaturization process in CMOS semiconductor process. High sensitivity and low noise and wide dynamic range, can now be more taking advantage of representation. Further, it employed in combination with excellent photodiode structure in the photoelectric conversion efficiency, an improved pixel transistors to reduce the noise of the pixel portion. To improve the S / N ratio, achieving high ISO speed. In addition, excellent gapless micro lens to light collection efficiency has contributed greatly to the high sensitivity.

(In japanese) http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/80d/feature-highquality.html

It seems that 80D and 1DX2 will be in the same sensor league!"

That would be good. They are still being absurdly stingy with video and totally messing that up, but at least for stills, perhaps they are finally delivering a whole new set of cameras that will deliver and not be too crippled down. If it delivers all that, the stills specs would seem pretty current and solid for the price, which would be a something long time coming for them to get back to again.

(but man have they dropped the video ball, well in some ways, it's mixed, they leave out basics like any sort of manual focusing aids, WHICH ARE NOT HIGH-END FEATURES CANON, and zebras and 4k and so on and so forth, but for the times it would work well, they apparently do stock it with a pretty advanced video AF feature for a DSLR so it may be state of the art, perhaps, in that regard, so mixed actually rather than all dropped ball)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
There was a user who has been banned (who should not pronounce the name), and he came back with a different user name, and was banned again.
I understand that if you say the name three times he will come back.....

Mikaelankorwatt Mikaelankorwatt Mikaelankorwatt.

And now...we wait. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
expatinasia said:
I think Canon has put together a nice body here.

I still think it should have a joystick, but overall I think enthusiasts will be pleased.

I am looking forward to learning what power zoon adapter is all about, and it is nice to see Canon coming out with some new gadgets such as that.

With the power zoom and a remote gimbal, wildlife photographers will have a lot of flexability. Its only 135mm, but if you are away from the camera and operating it remotely, wildlife might just come closer without spooking.

Its interesting.

The price is right where is has always been for new XXD models, early adopters will pay more, but will get it right away.

With 7D MK II imports sometimes falling to $1100, I'd need to see the benefits of the on chip ADC and the speed of AF with the dual pixel live view before paying as much or more for the 80D.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
expatinasia said:
Do we know yet whether the power zoom adapter will work with other Canon lenses and cameras? And if so which?

They haven't announced any other lenses and it isn't backward-compatible since it needs gearing on the bottom of the lens. I'm not quite sure what to expect from Canon with this. Could the new 16-35mm F/2.8L III have it? Or are only EF-S prosumer lenses getting it?

Plenty of questions to be answered.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Famateur said:
hubie said:
Famateur said:
So is there, or is there not GPS in the 80D?

DPReview says "yes" in their "hands-on review" here.

But I see no mention of GPS in the feature list on Canon's site here.

Got all excited at the bonus of GPS while reading DPReview's info, but now it's looking like there's no GPS.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Dude, despite your estimations, you have the answer on your hand: There will be no GPS as Canon doesn't mention it as a feature on their list. It is more probable, that a 3rd party site has made a mistake in their review instead of the official manufacturer missing to mention a main feature on their official feature-list.

Yeah, I get the probability here, but it has me scratching my head. DPReview had hands-on and wrote that GPS was there. Did they have a pre-production model that did have GPS, but it was scrapped in the official release? What prompted them to take the time to write that it had GPS in the first place? Could it be that it will have GPS in some regions and not others (like the WiFi and non-WiFi versions of the 70D)? Probably a desperate stretch, but I'd like (and might not get) an explanation for the discrepancy. That's a fairly significant gaffe for DPReview...

spirit-level-view.jpg

The GPS icon appears on the 80D LCD screen, but then again, that icon will also appear if you attach the external GPS receiver on compatible Canon bodies.

Another thing I want to clarify, is the electronic level single-axis again or double-axis like in the higher models? From the LCD display it looks like single-axis again.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
There was a user who has been banned (who should not pronounce the name), and he came back with a different user name, and was banned again.
I understand that if you say the name three times he will come back.....

Mikaelankorwatt Mikaelankorwatt Mikaelankorwatt.

And now...we wait. ;)
Is it that member of swedish club? Busy reading some sensor tech I guess.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
nightscape123 said:
Does DPAF have any effect on high ISO capabilities? Anyone have any way of telling?

I don't really need DPAF, but if it is hurting the high ISO abilities of the camera then I would be actively against it.

Since you essentially have twice the number of pixels as you otherwise would, I am just wondering if that makes for higher noise.
I posted a DPAF patent last year with notes:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=28326.msg558599#msg558599

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Re: It seems Pentax K-1 is better choice

RickWagoner said:
Nininini said:
sharkas said:
But I see Pentax K-1 full frame camera (36Mpix) for $1.8K. Wow!

Who needs D80 for $1.2K ???

I agree the 80D is slightly overpriced.

The counterargument is that the 70D was that expensive too on launch, and that's a fair argument.

I just can't get over the price, $1200 is a lot considering the economic climate. Body + the new 18-135mm and you're looking at $1800. That's a lot of money Canon...

I would have agreed with the price if some kind of miniaturization would have happened, if more carbon fiber was used, if some complex size and weight reductions happened. This camera is about 200 grams too heavy for a travel camera, so the camera wouldn't be used enough by me to justify the sticker price. I would be carrying around my SL1 most of the time, and my $1200 80D would stay on the shelve too much. I'm more looking forward to the SL2 now.

don't forget this is the entrance or release price. A company's way of making the most profit out of the newest piece. In time the price will go down either on refurbs or printer package deals. How far it goes down depends on how well it sells, if it sells like the 70D does then don't expect the price to move much unless it is some random goofy printer deal Canon Dealers have at times. If it don't sell well over time or sales tank like they did with the 7D2 then expect larger reductions esp with the kit lens. Right now the 70D is at $1k and it came out three years ago at $1,200..because it has sold so well and continues to.

The 70D was a great camera and brought some good stuff to the table. It debuted at $1200, in what? Like September? However, and I know this may not have been a common thing, I picked it up in February from Amazon for $1000. And this included a 2nd Canon battery (50 bucks), a holster bag, monopod, 32 gig Sandisk SD card, etc.

So with any luck, the 80D will debut at $1200 but I'm sure we'll see it drop within 6 months for sure. Much more competitive market these days.

Upvote 0
Re: It seems Pentax K-1 is better choice

Luds34 said:
RickWagoner said:
Nininini said:
sharkas said:
But I see Pentax K-1 full frame camera (36Mpix) for $1.8K. Wow!

Who needs D80 for $1.2K ???

I agree the 80D is slightly overpriced.

The counterargument is that the 70D was that expensive too on launch, and that's a fair argument.

I just can't get over the price, $1200 is a lot considering the economic climate. Body + the new 18-135mm and you're looking at $1800. That's a lot of money Canon...

I would have agreed with the price if some kind of miniaturization would have happened, if more carbon fiber was used, if some complex size and weight reductions happened. This camera is about 200 grams too heavy for a travel camera, so the camera wouldn't be used enough by me to justify the sticker price. I would be carrying around my SL1 most of the time, and my $1200 80D would stay on the shelve too much. I'm more looking forward to the SL2 now.

don't forget this is the entrance or release price. A company's way of making the most profit out of the newest piece. In time the price will go down either on refurbs or printer package deals. How far it goes down depends on how well it sells, if it sells like the 70D does then don't expect the price to move much unless it is some random goofy printer deal Canon Dealers have at times. If it don't sell well over time or sales tank like they did with the 7D2 then expect larger reductions esp with the kit lens. Right now the 70D is at $1k and it came out three years ago at $1,200..because it has sold so well and continues to.

The 70D was a great camera and brought some good stuff to the table. It debuted at $1200, in what? Like September? However, and I know this may not have been a common thing, I picked it up in February from Amazon for $1000. And this included a 2nd Canon battery (50 bucks), a holster bag, monopod, 32 gig Sandisk SD card, etc.

So with any luck, the 80D will debut at $1200 but I'm sure we'll see it drop within 6 months for sure. Much more competitive market these days.

Did you buy it in February 2014 after it debuted? If so then it was because Canon was not as hard as they're today with sellers staying on or extremely close to their retail price. If you remember back then Sellers were cutting each other's throats with low prices until Canon put the kabosh on it back in late March 2014. From then on it was only a printer deal, refurb deal, or Canon sale from direct rebate in price. Those days of seller wars are over at least like they used to be.
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2014/03/warning-canon-to-enforce-minimum-advertised-price-beginning-april/

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
H. Jones said:
expatinasia said:
Do we know yet whether the power zoom adapter will work with other Canon lenses and cameras? And if so which?

They haven't announced any other lenses and it isn't backward-compatible since it needs gearing on the bottom of the lens. I'm not quite sure what to expect from Canon with this. Could the new 16-35mm F/2.8L III have it? Or are only EF-S prosumer lenses getting it?

Plenty of questions to be answered.

Maybe a new EF-S 55-250 IS nUSM and 10-22 IS nUSM coming within the next year.
And maybe a new EF 24-70 F4 IS nUSM also. (I just heard from a source in HK that said the nUSM is still slightly slower than the latest? L USM)

I guess you can still use it for STM lens available now that have the correct dimensions for the PZA, but not officially supported. The PZA is self-powered by 4 AAA batteries anyway.
Wait......what if the PZA will need electronic "dialogue" with the new lens to work?

Upvote 0
80D adds to the recent sensor mystery. So the sensor pics show its similar to the 1DXMII one and we still don't know 100% for sure its a new design since all videos where it was mentionel were pulled. And then I haven't read anything about "high latitude" in the 80D brochures so far ...
DP wrongly mentioning GPS makes it likely that there were some last minute changes to the specs, so .. so far nothing is certain concerning sensors.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• canon_80d_at_1-34_BH_clip.jpg
    canon_80d_at_1-34_BH_clip.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,007
Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its interesting.

The price is right where is has always been for new XXD models, early adopters will pay more, but will get it right away.

With 7D MK II imports sometimes falling to $1100, I'd need to see the benefits of the on chip ADC and the speed of AF with the dual pixel live view before paying as much or more for the 80D.

grey import != official product with full warranty...
When you see what the 80D is capable of, just judge for yourself. Else, the price will quickly fall to ~1000$, since when do prices remain as high as set by the manufacturer? Never?

Upvote 0
Some more info on the 80D if not already mentioned :

AF Microadjustment :
C.Fn II-16
+/- 20 steps (wide and tele setting for Zooms)
Adjust all lenses by same amount
Adjust up to 40 lenses individually
Adjustments remembered for lens by serial number

Low-Pass Filter :
Built-in/Fixed with fluorine coating

AF Point Selection :
Automatic selection: 45 point AF
Manual selection: Single point AF
Manual selection: Zone AF
Manual selection: Large Zone AF
AF points can be selected separately for vertical and horizontal shooting

Viewfinder Information :
AF information: AF points, focus confirmation, AF area selection mode
Exposure information: Shutter speed, aperture value, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level/compensation, spot metering circle, exposure warning, AEB.
Flash information: Flash ready, high-speed sync, FE lock, flash exposure compensation, red-eye reduction light.
Image information: Card information, maximum burst (2 digit display), Highlight tone priority (D+).
Composition information: Grid, Electronic level, Aspect Ratio
Other information: Battery check, Alert symbol, Flicker Detection

Selected AF point display :
Indicated by a transmissive LCD in viewfinder and Quick Control screen

Intelligent Orientation Sensor (Whatever that is?)

No built-in GPS as far as I can see

USB 2

Upvote 0
Sidepod said:
80D adds to the recent sensor mystery. So the sensor pics show its similar to the 1DXMII one and we still don't know 100% for sure its a new design since all videos where it was mentionel were pulled. And then I haven't read anything about "high latitude" in the 80D brochures so far ...
DP wrongly mentioning GPS makes it likely that there were some last minute changes to the specs, so .. so far nothing is certain concerning sensors.
No mystery here. New component layout means newly developed piece. I tried to pull some ISO 200 JPEG and if I compare this to older Canon sensors, there is obvious difference to it in shadows.
It IS the new sensor with ADC onboard.

Upvote 0
Sidepod said:

I can only refer again to the japanese website (which is "official", isn't it?). Here a Google translation which of course is quite funny but also quite clear in this respect:

High sensitivity and low noise, the evolution of the miniaturization process that supports a wide dynamic range.

Aims to improve the aperture ratio of the photodiode in the CMOS sensor, it introduced a new miniaturization process in CMOS semiconductor process. High sensitivity and low noise and wide dynamic range, can now be more taking advantage of representation. Further, it employed in combination with excellent photodiode structure in the photoelectric conversion efficiency, an improved pixel transistors to reduce the noise of the pixel portion. To improve the S / N ratio, achieving high ISO speed. In addition, excellent gapless micro lens to light collection efficiency has contributed greatly to the high sensitivity.

Upvote 0