Canon EOS 80D Announced

Re: It seems Pentax K-1 is better choice

rrcphoto said:
jasny said:
rrcphoto said:
sharkas said:
I'm a Canon funboy. 5D mk3, D550, some L-optics.
But I see Pentax K-1 full frame camera (36Mpix) for $1.8K. Wow!

Who needs D80 for $1.2K ???
Where is 6D mk2 ?
Canon 5D mk4 will have 28MPix ? Good buy Canon.

good luck using that 150-450mm Pentax lens without IS with a non-stablized AF,metering or viewfinder.

There are some other means of lens stabilisations. I mean old fashioned monopod etc. Although I have IS-equipped telephoto lens, I still use my old 400/5.6 successfully :)

of course.. but if you had a choice between a 400 5.6L IS or a 400 5.6L .. for the same price what would you want?

Sure, I would choose lens with IS. But this is purely theoretical situation so far (especially same price for 400 5.6L IS and a 400 5.6 L ;) )...

Upvote 0
big problem of canon senozors like 5DS or 5DSR 70D ... very bad bayer interpolation .. its no problem AA filter...I am user of canon and nikon cameras and .. for example nikon d800 has aa filter but yor stills
images look more natural with more fine detail and more structures , textures resembling the old analog cameras and image of 5DSR all previous Canon cameras is too artificial, unnatural sharp edges but no textures I hope that Canon improve the new sensor

Upvote 0
Not sure if it was mentioned here yet but the 27 f/8 AF points are only available with two specific lens combos:

1) 100-400II + 1.4TCIII
2) 200-400 + 2xTCIII

All other f/8 combos only work with the centre AF point.

Reference: http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos-80D/af_at_f8.shtml
See Page 2 of that article....

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
Not sure if it was mentioned here yet but the 27 f/8 AF points are only available with two specific lens combos:

1) 100-400II + 1.4TCIII
2) 200-400 + 2xTCIII

All other f/8 combos only work with the centre AF point.

Reference: http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos-80D/af_at_f8.shtml
See Page 2 of that article....

Wonder what's the reason? Maybe that's only because firmware upgrade is needed (for lenses). It's a pity I won't be able to use 400/5.6 even with 1.4x III (or 500/4 L IS with 2x III). Only centre point is very limiting.

Upvote 0

sharkas said:

I agree the 80D is slightly overpriced.

The counterargument is that the 70D was that expensive too on launch, and that's a fair argument.

I just can't get over the price, $1200 is a lot considering the economic climate. Body + the new 18-135mm and you're looking at $1800. That's a lot of money Canon...

I would have agreed with the price if some kind of miniaturization would have happened, if more carbon fiber was used, if some complex size and weight reductions happened. This camera is about 200 grams too heavy for a travel camera, so the camera wouldn't be used enough by me to justify the sticker price. I would be carrying around my SL1 most of the time, and my $1200 80D would stay on the shelve too much. I'm more looking forward to the SL2 now.

Upvote 0
The japanese Canon website has some intersting information about the sensor:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcweb.canon.jp%2Feos%2Flineup%2F80d%2Ffeature-highquality.html

High sensitivity and low noise, the evolution of the miniaturization process that supports a wide dynamic range.

Aims to improve the aperture ratio of the photodiode in the CMOS sensor, it introduced a new miniaturization process in CMOS semiconductor process. High sensitivity and low noise and wide dynamic range, can now be more taking advantage of representation. Further, it employed in combination with excellent photodiode structure in the photoelectric conversion efficiency, an improved pixel transistors to reduce the noise of the pixel portion. To improve the S / N ratio, achieving high ISO speed. In addition, excellent gapless micro lens to light collection efficiency has contributed greatly to the high sensitivity.

Upvote 0

racebit said:
rrcphoto said:
... but if you had a choice between a 400 5.6L IS or a 400 5.6L .. for the same price what would you want?

I prefer the non-IS: faster focus and lighter and I don't need IS at 1/1000-1/2000, required to freeze action anyway. IS works only for the shooter, not for the target. Shorter exposure works for both.

It also happens to work for the viewfinder and thus the AF points, helping them to stay on the target. A lot of people forget about that.

Upvote 0

Nininini said:
sharkas said:

The counterargument is that the 70D was that expensive too on launch, and that's a fair argument.

I just can't get over the price, $1200 is a lot considering the economic climate. Body + the new 18-135mm and you're looking at $1800. That's a lot of money Canon...

I would have agreed with the price if some kind of miniaturization would have happened, if more carbon fiber was used, if some complex size and weight reductions happened. This camera is about 200 grams too heavy for a travel camera, so the camera wouldn't be used enough by me to justify the sticker price. I would be carrying around my SL1 most of the time, and my $1200 80D would stay on the shelve too much. I'm more looking forward to the SL2 now.

Miss Negative Nini,
I think you're in the wrong hobby if you keep complaining about $1200.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
azizjhn said:
Tugela said:
H. Jones said:
azizjhn said:
I am a little bit confused

Great added pro features like 100% VF, advanced Autofocus system with 27 points with F8 support yet there is no dual SD card slots.

Improved video functions like new DPAF, nice move with new Nano USM concept & power zoom, headphone jack but still no 4K.

Still nice specs camera.

Those features are almost 100% guaranteed on the 5D Mark IV, so it's obvious Canon is aiming for professional users to all go for the 5D Mark IV instead of the 80D. Makes sense--this is definitely a "youtube" camera. There's nothing wrong with that market, but those users won't need 4K or back up cards.

YouTube videographers won't be using this camera. They are far more likely to be using one of Sony or Panasonic's cameras.

+1 That will be the case

See here from 0.54 to 1.07 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osGJVPdhav4

So, it does appear that 70D has been very popular among Youtubers. I know two Youtubers who use 70D. Reason? Their favorite Youtubers use 70D.

Upvote 0

Nininini said:
sharkas said:

200 grams... that's less than half a pound. If you can't muscle up for less than half a pound, you're in the wrong hobby.

Upvote 0

Nininini said:

Well, the price is guaranteed to fall.
There will be rebates and eBay deals as early this summer.
And I bet that by Christmas it would be possible to buy the 80D new for maybe $900.
Full price is paid mostly by early adopters with GAS (... like me :eek:).

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
The 2 big questions for me now are: has Canon ditched the AA filter; does the 80D have centre spot focussing (smaller centre spot with a dot in the square)? If yes, I'll rush out and buy the 80D. If no to the first, I won't. If yes to the first, no to the second, then maybe. Losing the AA filter will give a boost to sharpness. Centre spot focussing gives that extra selectivity.

Dpreviews is raving about the 80D.

Canon purposely left the center spot out of the 70D from the 7D's focusing system, they did not want to confuse the beginner buyer and make it a simpler system. I shoot birds and i don't miss the center spot myself.

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
Newly Developed 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor

Ah, marketing. A more accurate statement would be:

"Old 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor from last year's 760D"

And here, my friend, you are completely wrong.

You must have missed all the discussions of Canon lagging behind Sony in DR (dynamic range).
Well, early indications are that the 1DXII and 80D are build on a new sensor architecture that will close the DR gap.
That is to say, the 80D sensor is indeed a brand new sensor from Canon.

Wanna bet that the 80D will get a better DxO score that the 5DIII?
8)

Upvote 0

Nininini said:
sharkas said:

don't forget this is the entrance or release price. A company's way of making the most profit out of the newest piece. In time the price will go down either on refurbs or printer package deals. How far it goes down depends on how well it sells, if it sells like the 70D does then don't expect the price to move much unless it is some random goofy printer deal Canon Dealers have at times. If it don't sell well over time or sales tank like they did with the 7D2 then expect larger reductions esp with the kit lens. Right now the 70D is at $1k and it came out three years ago at $1,200..because it has sold so well and continues to.

Upvote 0
AWR said:
Why Tugela and nininini (same person?) hasn't been banned already?!
Clearly obsessive mental issues against Canon.
Administrators of Canonrumors are highly tolerant of people who whine and groan against Canon.
In fact, this site would not be as fun without these irrational comments.

There was a user who has been banned (who should not pronounce the name), and he came back with a different user name, and was banned again.
Incredibly, many regular users felt sorry for him, and asked that more be given a chance for him, for his threads full of irrational emotion were missing.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
Nininini said:

And here, my friend, you are completely wrong.

You must have missed all the discussions of Canon lagging behind Sony in DR (dynamic range).
Well, early indications are that the 1DXII and 80D are build on a new sensor architecture that will close the DR gap.
That is to say, the 80D sensor is indeed a brand new sensor from Canon.

8)

In regards to the new sensor, a member over at FM Forums (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1414458) posted the following that he got off a translation of the Japanese 80D site:

"In the 80D japanese site, Canon talks about a new sensor "miniaturization" process (we could understand this as using a higher integration scale), used for the 80D, and expressly acknowledges a improved dynamic range, using that words (if the Google translate is accurate enough). Also talks about better overall pixels, which would be great for all ISO settings:

High sensitivity and low noise, the evolution of the miniaturization process that supports a wide dynamic range.
Figure: gapless micro lens

Gapless micro lens

Aims to improve the aperture ratio of the photodiode in the CMOS sensor, it introduced a new miniaturization process in CMOS semiconductor process. High sensitivity and low noise and wide dynamic range, can now be more taking advantage of representation. Further, it employed in combination with excellent photodiode structure in the photoelectric conversion efficiency, an improved pixel transistors to reduce the noise of the pixel portion. To improve the S / N ratio, achieving high ISO speed. In addition, excellent gapless micro lens to light collection efficiency has contributed greatly to the high sensitivity.

(In japanese) http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/80d/feature-highquality.html

It seems that 80D and 1DX2 will be in the same sensor league!"

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
Nininini said:

8)

Are you sure about that? DxO once had an entry level Nikon perched higher than the 1Dx. They'd have to hire all new testers to generate a positive comment about Canon ;)

Upvote 0