Canon EOS 80D Announced

winfel said:
I can only refer again to the japanese website (which is "official", isn't it?). Here a Google translation which of course is quite funny but also quite clear in this respect:

High sensitivity and low noise, the evolution of the miniaturization process that supports a wide dynamic range.

Aims to improve the aperture ratio of the photodiode in the CMOS sensor, it introduced a new miniaturization process in CMOS semiconductor process. High sensitivity and low noise and wide dynamic range, can now be more taking advantage of representation. Further, it employed in combination with excellent photodiode structure in the photoelectric conversion efficiency, an improved pixel transistors to reduce the noise of the pixel portion. To improve the S / N ratio, achieving high ISO speed. In addition, excellent gapless micro lens to light collection efficiency has contributed greatly to the high sensitivity.

Imho thats far too general. Apart from miniaturization process this could originate from any other EOS brochure.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
There was a user who has been banned (who should not pronounce the name), and he came back with a different user name, and was banned again.
I understand that if you say the name three times he will come back.....

Mikaelankorwatt Mikaelankorwatt Mikaelankorwatt.

And now...we wait. ;)
And I was going to say Beetlejuice 3 times. Lucky I didn't as you wouldn't want that guy hanging around... ;)

80d looks like a good upgrade. It'll make many happy. The improved dynamic range may even prevent certain members on here blaming the camera for their bad photos. But I doubt it. :)

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
YouTube videographers won't be using this camera. They are far more likely to be using one of Sony or Panasonic's cameras.
This is so naive comment that I can't believe it.
This camera will absolutely rule with the YouTube vloggers.

Only young boys, who can't compete, try to differentiate themselves with exotic, new stuff.
Make their own hill (of S___) where they can sit as kings, in their imaginary world.
In real life those cameras are just as far behind professional film gear as entry level DSLR's.

And the business side, well Sony and Panasonic just won't touch Canon. Not even close.
The amount of new DSLR owners that i've seen lately is astonishing. Growth is going to be huge, because for every young boy with their NewKingMILC there's going to be five to ten adults buying new Canon DSLR because they have the money, and they have learned that reinventing the wheel for egocentric reasons is not a good for your wallet. Pro's do DSLR. People will buy DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Kolumbus said:
I don't mind too much that the 80d comes without 4k. But at this price point at least decent 1080p. The video is as mushy as ever. Have a look at the B&H promo clip at 1:34.

what's the compression on bhphotovideo's video and is it even 1080p? most of bh's stuff was 720p from when i've looked in the past.

so do you even know what you are looking at?

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Re: It seems Pentax K-1 is better choice

RickWagoner said:
Luds34 said:
RickWagoner said:
Nininini said:
sharkas said:
But I see Pentax K-1 full frame camera (36Mpix) for $1.8K. Wow!

Who needs D80 for $1.2K ???

I agree the 80D is slightly overpriced.

The counterargument is that the 70D was that expensive too on launch, and that's a fair argument.

I just can't get over the price, $1200 is a lot considering the economic climate. Body + the new 18-135mm and you're looking at $1800. That's a lot of money Canon...

I would have agreed with the price if some kind of miniaturization would have happened, if more carbon fiber was used, if some complex size and weight reductions happened. This camera is about 200 grams too heavy for a travel camera, so the camera wouldn't be used enough by me to justify the sticker price. I would be carrying around my SL1 most of the time, and my $1200 80D would stay on the shelve too much. I'm more looking forward to the SL2 now.

don't forget this is the entrance or release price. A company's way of making the most profit out of the newest piece. In time the price will go down either on refurbs or printer package deals. How far it goes down depends on how well it sells, if it sells like the 70D does then don't expect the price to move much unless it is some random goofy printer deal Canon Dealers have at times. If it don't sell well over time or sales tank like they did with the 7D2 then expect larger reductions esp with the kit lens. Right now the 70D is at $1k and it came out three years ago at $1,200..because it has sold so well and continues to.

The 70D was a great camera and brought some good stuff to the table. It debuted at $1200, in what? Like September? However, and I know this may not have been a common thing, I picked it up in February from Amazon for $1000. And this included a 2nd Canon battery (50 bucks), a holster bag, monopod, 32 gig Sandisk SD card, etc.

So with any luck, the 80D will debut at $1200 but I'm sure we'll see it drop within 6 months for sure. Much more competitive market these days.

Did you buy it in February 2014 after it debuted? If so then it was because Canon was not as hard as they're today with sellers staying on or extremely close to their retail price. If you remember back then Sellers were cutting each other's throats with low prices until Canon put the kabosh on it back in late March 2014. From then on it was only a printer deal, refurb deal, or Canon sale from direct rebate in price. Those days of seller wars are over at least like they used to be.
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2014/03/warning-canon-to-enforce-minimum-advertised-price-beginning-april/

Valid point, and yes you are correct, it was February 2014.

But isn't that still a bit of a work around today? Doing package deals? And even this purchase, if I remember correctly, was one of those hidden easter egg type things, it wasn't an advertised price. The only reason I got it was a fellow enthusiast sent me a youtube link on how to order the camera at this price.

Either way I think the general consensus that $1200 is the debut price and we should see drops at some point in the first year is pretty likely. But then again, who knows.

Upvote 0

tlieser

pixels don't make a picture
Feb 16, 2016
Vienna
thomas-lieser.smugmug.com
I had a first quick hands on with the 80D today.
A short comparison to my 50D:
- 80D feels smaller, the 50D is a bit better to handle (I've got big hands)
- the 80D multi controller is much too small
- the weather sealing seems not as good as on the 50D (at least judging from the sealing on the input output jacks)
- I was amazed by the high iso performance. From what I could see on the build in screen I think even 12800 (maybe 16000) will be usable with short exposure sports shots (I take a lot of rugby shots). The showroom was in the cellar, and I took some shots of a print hanging in a dark corner.
I guess the 80D will perform at 12800 as good as the 50D at 1600

I guess I'm sold on this (the 1DX2 was on display as well, but the boy with the big bucks wouldn't let go of it), can't wait for it to be on the market

Upvote 0
tlieser said:
I had a first quick hands on with the 80D today.
A short comparison to my 50D:
- 80D feels smaller, the 50D is a bit better to handle (I've got big hands)
- the 80D multi controller is much too small
- the weather sealing seems not as good as on the 50D (at least judging from the sealing on the input output jacks)
- I was amazed by the high iso performance. From what I could see on the build in screen I think even 12800 (maybe 16000) will be usable with short exposure sports shots (I take a lot of rugby shots). The showroom was in the cellar, and I took some shots of a print hanging in a dark corner.
I guess the 80D will perform at 12800 as good as the 50D at 1600

I guess I'm sold on this (the 1DX2 was on display as well, but the boy with the big bucks wouldn't let go of it), can't wait for it to be on the market
Thanks for sharing.

The image on the camera's LCD can be misleading due to the different types of screen. But if the new 80D has ISO6400 as good as 50D in 1600, would be a major improvement. I look forward to see side by side tests.

Upvote 0
tlieser said:
You're right about the build in screen of course. (maybe I should have written it differently...)

Anyway it will be a big leap ahead. I just wish they had kept the ergonomics of the 50D.
Canon thinks that those of us who have big hands, must have big pockets too, and can afford the 7D Mark II. ;D

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
tlieser said:
Actually I was thinking about buying the 7D2 (and I guess its price will soon go down even further), but the high ISO performance of the 80D seems much better.
(I've had too many concerts and rugby games where my poor old 50D suffered badly in the bad light).

I cannot imagine the 80D has much better High ISO performance than 7D2, given that recent Canon DSLRs were already pretty good for High ISO and the 7D2 was probably optimized for High ISO performance. There simply isn't much room for improvement unless you only look at JPEG quality (which is probably what the LCD shows ...). If there are real gains in the 80D sensor compared to 7D2 they will probably be for low to medium ISO DR/noise.

BTW, I read similar stories about 'many stops better High ISO' for the new Nikon D5/D500 also based on the LCD display. It's bound to be wrong, because such gains in real (RAW) sensor performance are simply not possible.

Upvote 0
there's a short hands-on available at Digitalrev that says

(ISO test) "Considering the cropped sensor, the 80D performed pretty well in our tests, but certainly wasn't anything to write home about."

Let's hope the author is talking about High ISO performance only (which I'm expecting to be on par for RAW with 70D, 760D etc. or maybe 1/3 stop better). Hard to draw any conclusions from the supplied image crops.

"However, you can tell the body is plastic rather than magnesium alloy which makes the camera feel a little cheap despite the costing US $1,200. For that price, we'd expect something that feels more premium. "

Yes, and even more so with the official EU price of €1399,-. BTW, I don't doubt a 'plastic' body can be very tough, but at this price level one would expect some other 'quality' as well. Let's hope that on further examination the 80D makes up for that with a much improved sensor (DR) and AF system.

Upvote 0
nhz said:

(ISO test) "Considering the cropped sensor, the 80D performed pretty well in our tests, but certainly wasn't anything to write home about."

Let's hope the author is talking about High ISO performance only (which I'm expecting to be on par for RAW with 70D, 760D etc. or maybe 1/3 stop better). Hard to draw any conclusions from the supplied image crops.

"However, you can tell the body is plastic rather than magnesium alloy which makes the camera feel a little cheap despite the costing US $1,200. For that price, we'd expect something that feels more premium. "

Yes, and even more so with the official EU price of €1399,-. BTW, I don't doubt a 'plastic' body can be very tough, but at this price level one would expect some other 'quality' as well. Let's hope that on further examination the 80D makes up for that with a much improved sensor (DR) and AF system.

IR guys posted their studio samples.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/03/17/canon-80d-first-shots-70d-d7200-comparisons

Upvote 0

tlieser

pixels don't make a picture
Feb 16, 2016
Vienna
thomas-lieser.smugmug.com
ritholtz said:
nhz said:

IR guys posted their studio samples.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/03/17/canon-80d-first-shots-70d-d7200-comparisons

That does look like 80D has no advantage on the 7DMK2 regarding noise.
Makes me think whether I shouldn't buy the 7DMK2 with the better build and ergonomics. For more or less the same price.

Upvote 0