There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Many M users are using and purchasing third party lenses such as Sigma for their cameras. Canon will do as they did the RF mount and introduce an adapter for the M system.
What exactly is "an adapter for the M system"? If it is an adapter for EF lenses on an M body, they have had one since the beginning of the M system. I own one. I also own two Vello adapters that look identical to the Canon adapter, except for the printing.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
There are simply too many people on the planet working and teleworking from home. The M mount suits them well and Canon make a lot of moola from that group. Despite Admins love to use it as bait

The M system is the most profitable camera that Canon sells.
How do you know that? It may be the highest volume Canon camera but that is different than being the most profitable one.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What exactly is "an adapter for the M system"? If it is an adapter for EF lenses on an M body, they have had one since the beginning of the M system. I own one. I also own two Vello adapters that look identical to the Canon adapter, except for the printing.
Electronics pass through for AF and possible control rings? Yeah, the post was a bit cryptic.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
How do you know that? It may be the highest volume Canon camera but that is different than being the most profitable one.
Well we do know the Rebel DSLR was the cash cow until recently so it is logical to think the new high volume seller for Canon is similarly targeted.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I wouldn't replace my EOS M cameras with an R body because there simply aren't enough compact/light/inexpensive lenses available for it.

For a lightweight travel camera - if Canon ditches the EOS M then I'd probably move over to E mount.
I dont understand that. The EOS RP is one of the smallest and lightest fullframe cameras right now, isnt it? What benefits would you see in switching?
Also, smaller lenses are starting to come, the RF 35 is very handy and a nice focal length for travel. And the RF 50mm Pancake on any R camera is certainly a super duper tiny and light package?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
I dont understand that. The EOS RP is one of the smallest and lightest fullframe cameras right now, isnt it? What benefits would you see in switching?
Also, smaller lenses are starting to come, the RF 35 is very handy and a nice focal length for travel. And the RF 50mm Pancake on any R camera is certainly a super duper tiny and light package?
either way, he would have to buy into new system, not much caries from a M based kit to a R based kit. A kit full of EF glass kept me in EOS orbit. Maybe A9/7/1 whatever would have looked good if EF was dead and the EF->RF adapter didn't exist.

Upvote 0
I got the original M and loved it. Only kept it a while though, because I had to have a backup for my 5D at the time: has to be full frame for my work (livelihood, that is). And I can't justify three bodies because as is, the 2nd collects dust 99% of the time. Yeah, yeah--I should be more successful.

Here's what I'd like to see for the M, or most preferably a compact R series: No bump on top, but a viewfinder in rangefinder style. Like a Sony 7C or the Leica CL, only Canon excellent and Canon reasonably priced. An APS-C would be very cool, but if it's an RF mount and the same sensor as the R5, I'd buy one. Or two.

Upvote 0

Bernie

CR Pro
Dec 28, 2020
I love my M5 and EF-M lenses because I appreciate them for what they are: a compact, lightweight, low-cost camera/lens system that meets all the photography needs that don't require a large, heavy, expensive set of cameras and lenses. By buying Canon refurbished EF-M gear, I have a full range of lenses from 11 mm to 200 mm (18-320 mm FF equivalent) for about the cost of a single FF EF/RF camera/lens.

While I would love to see an M5 Mk2, I see the writing on the wall: it says the future of Canon ILC cameras is with the RF mount. I will be very surprised if Canon's upcoming EF-M announcement is an incremental update to the any of the existing bodies. I see that the EOS RP and lower-end RF lenses are almost as compact/lightweight, and almost as low cost as the EF-M family.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Canon leverages the EF-M lenses into a novel new form factor and/or application that is uniquely better suited to the advantages of the EF-M lenses than to the RF lens ecosystem.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I started with the M50, then upgraded to the M6II. I picked up the Sigma trio (16/30/56 F1.4) along with a few of the EF-M lenses. A few months ago I bought the R6 but kept the M6II and lenses for times when I want to travel light. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE one final upgraded M body with IBIS and better 4k video (closer in quality to the 10bit Fuji XT4) and I would be a happy camper :cool: . I know the future is with the R mount but the M system definitely has it's place in the market I think

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
EOS R lenses are the future but how about an "M" size body with an "R" mount and some compact crop sensor R lenses.

It doesn't work like that. The M series is good because it is so small and compat. That smallness and compactness applies to both camera and lens.

5D Mark IV + 16-35/f4 (1505g) weighs more than two M6 + 11-22 (610g each).

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
If it takes choice away from the end-user then by all means cry.

People need to get out of this mindset of "oh that's what companies do, we just have to deal with it". No, companies can only exist so long as they meet the needs and desires of customers.

You can and will vote with your feet order, and so will other buyers. It's not the company that sticks to old technology that will survive.

2.5 years there was a lot of crying about the (perceived) obsolescence of the EF mount and DLSRs. Meanwhile I don't hear and see people crying anymore about that.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
You can and will vote with your feet order, and so will other buyers. It's not the company that sticks to old technology that will survive.

2.5 years there was a lot of crying about the (perceived) obsolescence of the EF mount and DLSRs. Meanwhile I don't hear and see people crying anymore about that.
Please listen to me, I'm still crying !:cry:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
either way, he would have to buy into new system, not much caries from a M based kit to a R based kit. A kit full of EF glass kept me in EOS orbit. Maybe A9/7/1 whatever would have looked good if EF was dead and the EF->RF adapter didn't exist.
Jeah.
I must say that EF-R Adapter works realy excellent. You gain a bit of size and weight, but it works so far perfectly with all of my 10 lenses (canon, Sigma, Tamron and third party). It feels VERY close to native and even gives you the benefit of an internal ND filter, which is super great :)
It allows the usage of SO many EF lenses, its great. The market is full of affordable, interesting and high quality glas =)

Upvote 0