There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

Jan 27, 2020
As others have pointed out, Canon (as well as other camera makers) are focusing on higher end products. As is often the case, people take a simple statement and push it to the limits. Focusing on high end does not mean abandoning the lower end. The low end (at last count) was still selling considerably more than the high end. But as we've seen, the low end (Rebels and the M series cameras and lenses) have not gotten new lenses or many newer features. So, not much focus, but still being made and selling.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
The very high volume products in most companies goes a long way toward paying the bills and making sure everyone keeps a job even during lean times when higher end products may not sell quite as well. They may not generate enormous profits in and of themselves but they are important for this as well as other things (gateway products, innovation test beds, useful life extension for out-dated tech, etc.).

Personally the M series didn't do much for me until the M6 II, and I tried them twice before (M, and M3). They may very well be winding it down as some rumors indicate but at least in my opinion that doesn't really seem to be the trajectory they were taking. The M6II was quite a leap in M series tech by all accounts, and many including myself would love to see that same tech in an M5 (I have the EVF attached permanently as is). If they are, I can't imagine the role of the bread and butter high volume seller wouldn't be replaced by something else, and that something else would need to fulfill the same market demands that make the current series so popular with the general public. I THINK that is the size/performance/cost relationship but perhaps there is something to it I do not understand.

Canon made a significant stride with the R5 release, as well as the RF series in general. In fact all of the MILC/DR...blah blah arguments have died away entirely based on my personal observation. I would speculate that a lot of that technology will trickle down to lesser models in the R line, but potentially into whatever the M line is to become as well. Technology changes fast, but companies need an outlet to get useful life out of existing tech that cost millions to develop. I don't think the potential outlet the M series provides is going away entirely. Change? Almost certainly.

Caveat: The one fly in the ointment is the lack of development in the series of lenses which puzzle me. A case could be made that it is to incentivize transfer to higher end products but it still strikes me as being a little off.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
10mp global shutter full frame sensor
Quad pixel autofocus ,not to improve focus speed . Just to keep it same what double more megapixel sensors
Focus on f22 so f11 lenses with x2 autofocus
ibis , prolly electronical with global shutter
30fp/s. can shoot faster when making pixel shift.
Smaller than M50
no buttons. touching and squeezing areas
500$

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Caveat: The one fly in the ointment is the lack of development in the series of lenses which puzzle me. A case could be made that it is to incentivize transfer to higher end products but it still strikes me as being a little off.

Canon has imposed on itself (for marketing reasons apparently) a 61 mm outside diameter rule with respect to EF-M lenses.

Given this...what lenses could they possibly develop that wouldn't just be a minor variation of what has already been developed? The 28mm was too little different from the 22 and 32 as it is to justify me buying it (I'm not going to do macro with it anyway).

(The real answer is for them to ditch the dang rule, of course.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The very high volume products in most companies goes a long way toward paying the bills and making sure everyone keeps a job even during lean times when higher end products may not sell quite as well. They may not generate enormous profits in and of themselves but they are important for this as well as other things (gateway products, innovation test beds, useful life extension for out-dated tech, etc.).

Personally the M series didn't do much for me until the M6 II, and I tried them twice before (M, and M3). They may very well be winding it down as some rumors indicate but at least in my opinion that doesn't really seem to be the trajectory they were taking. The M6II was quite a leap in M series tech by all accounts, and many including myself would love to see that same tech in an M5 (I have the EVF attached permanently as is). If they are, I can't imagine the role of the bread and butter high volume seller wouldn't be replaced by something else, and that something else would need to fulfill the same market demands that make the current series so popular with the general public. I THINK that is the size/performance/cost relationship but perhaps there is something to it I do not understand.

Canon made a significant stride with the R5 release, as well as the RF series in general. In fact all of the MILC/DR...blah blah arguments have died away entirely based on my personal observation. I would speculate that a lot of that technology will trickle down to lesser models in the R line, but potentially into whatever the M line is to become as well. Technology changes fast, but companies need an outlet to get useful life out of existing tech that cost millions to develop. I don't think the potential outlet the M series provides is going away entirely. Change? Almost certainly.

The lack of lens development shouldn't be puzzling when one considers the target market. The M series (it seems to me) is clearly targeting those consumers that want the smallest camera and kit - while still utilizing a "real" camera sensor with interchangeable lenses. The market would be focused on those traveling or using the camera for casual use such as family outings and get-togethers. For that market (of which I was one, by the way) all you need is 2 or 3 lenses - a wide angle, a standard or all-in-one zoom and a telephoto. Canon offers all three, and their wide angle lens is especially noteworthy. I used the 18-150 almost exclusively and it gave me a great small and light kit. I never had any reason to buy another lens. I think Canon's market research has supplied them with the information that they need to formulate their plans.

That being said, the market is evolving and Canon's plans may be as well. And again, their market research (which they no doubt spend much money on) will help inform them as to which direction they will go with the M series. If, ultimately they can make R series cameras and lenses that are as affordable and small and light enough to replace the M series, they might do that. Or, perhaps they will go higher end with the M series and introduce more cameras and lenses. I doubt very much that Canon even knows the direction they will take. Only time - and sales - and market research - will give them that answer. it is too early in the transition to mirrorless to know what the consumers will ultimately decide.

Upvote 0
If you have a second, I’d really like to hear your thoughts (or anyone else in the same boat) on going M50 -> M6II -> R6. I know the specs, I’m more interested in your observations. Where was the biggest gain in image quality? To your eye, how big a difference is there between the three in 1080p? 4k? Obviously the 4k crop/AF loom large for the M50 here, but if we disregard those, did you find the actual IQ much improved on the M6II?

Was there a huge jump in any aspect that really stood out to you among these three cameras? If you could do it over again, would you have bothered with the M6II? Or the M50 for that matter? Hypothetically, what would a potential M mount flagship need to have looked like to have kept you from moving to the R mount? Or did you just need FF no matter what?
To be honest I didn't really need to upgrade to the R6, I was very happy with the M6II except for the soft 4k compared to other cameras like the Fuji xt4 and Sony A6600 but had some cash spare so I thought I'd splurge and go FF and get into the RF mount system. I got sick of waiting for a high-end M camera update (like an M5 Mark II) and thought I'd sell the M6II and buy the R6 to get into the RF system, but now i'm going to keep it as well for when I want to go light. I also have 5 ef-m lenses so i'm hoping Canon will come out with at least one more M camera with IBIS and true 4k. IF the 4k video was better I may not have wanted to go to the R6 to be honest, but i'm glad I did because there's a noticeable improvement in both photos and videos

Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
To be honest I didn't really need to upgrade to the R6, I was very happy with the M6II except for the soft 4k compared to other cameras like the Fuji xt4 and Sony A6600 but had some cash spare so I thought I'd splurge and go FF and get into the RF mount system. I got sick of waiting for a high-end M camera update (like an M5 Mark II) and thought I'd sell the M6II and buy the R6 to get into the RF system, but now i'm going to keep it as well for when I want to go light. I also have 5 ef-m lenses so i'm hoping Canon will come out with at least one more M camera with IBIS and true 4k. IF the 4k video was better I may not have wanted to go to the R6 to be honest, but i'm glad I did because there's a noticeable improvement in both photos and videos

Thanks for sharing. What I’m kind of curious about is if you could go back to your time with the M50 and somehow know that in the future you were going to wind up with the R6 (which of course didn’t exist yet), would you have bothered with the M6II “stop”? Are you happy you have the extra IQ from the M6II today or would you have been just as happy with the M50 as your travel cam? Again, this all being in the context of knowing that you have the RF camera when IQ is the priority.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing. What I’m kind of curious about is if you could go back to your time with the M50 and somehow know that in the future you were going to wind up with the R6 (which of course didn’t exist yet), would you have bothered with the M6II “stop”? Are you happy you have the extra IQ from the M6II today or would you have been just as happy with the M50 as your travel cam? Again, this all being in the context of knowing that you have the RF camera when IQ is the priority.
The M50 was fine for most of what I needed but for video the 4k is virtually unusable as there's no DPAF in this mode. I wanted to have decent 4k video as well as solid photo capabilities for my youtube channel and also keep the lenses i'd already bought instead of changing systems (i was tempted to switch to Fuji xt4 but the autofocus issues stopped me). I wasn't really planning on going to FF but got sick of waiting for a better 4k M body, and it's pretty obvious most of Canon's focus will now be mirrorless RF system so i thought it was a good time to jump in. To be honest though I could've made do with the M50 all along, but you know I have a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome :p o_O:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chris_Seattle

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, M50
Aug 30, 2019
An M5 Markii with IBIS is the one thing that would extend the life of the M system. Between sigma and canon, they already have some decent little primes and it just doesn’t make sense to hang a giant telephoto off that little guy anyway...you would just get an older DLSR or move to the R mount for the ergonomics. M mount appeal was always size and portability, but I do like having an EVF that isn’t screw on, so I got the M50 and kept waiting, waiting...

I finally just gave up, sold my M50, and bought a Fuji XT-4. Still using Canon 5DMk4 for full frame and 7DMARKII for wildlife. At some point when I have the money, I’ll just consolidate the 7D and 5D into the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
An M5 Markii with IBIS is the one thing that would extend the life of the M system. Between sigma and canon, they already have some decent little primes and it just doesn’t make sense to hang a giant telephoto off that little guy anyway...you would just get an older DLSR or move to the R mount for the ergonomics. M mount appeal was always size and portability, but I do like having an EVF that isn’t screw on, so I got the M50 and kept waiting, waiting...

I finally just gave up, sold my M50, and bought a Fuji XT-4. Still using Canon 5DMk4 for full frame and 7DMARKII for wildlife. At some point when I have the money, I’ll just consolidate the 7D and 5D into the R5.
Love to hear your thoughts on what you gained and what you miss. I have had a Fuji hankering but can never decide which so I don't commit. The X-Pro3 and the X100V both appeal to me for different reasons.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
As others have pointed out, Canon (as well as other camera makers) are focusing on higher end products. As is often the case, people take a simple statement and push it to the limits. Focusing on high end does not mean abandoning the lower end. The low end (at last count) was still selling considerably more than the high end. But as we've seen, the low end (Rebels and the M series cameras and lenses) have not gotten new lenses or many newer features. So, not much focus, but still being made and selling.

I had been holding out for EOS M. To date, it seems to have been focused on the lower end, with few options of good lenses being the biggest problem. My hope had been that EOS M would become a good option as a lightweight travel ILC system. In the end, my wife and I gave up, and decided to move to the Fuji X system for our travel needs, knowing that some aspects of the X system, like flash units, are more limited. So far we have not been disappointed. What I have not tried yet is an EF to X system lens adaptor.

Upvote 0
I think for the M system they should keep at least 2 cameras, one entry level without the EVF at the M50 level, and one mid-range with the EVF at M6 MkII level, the M system is ideal for portability and smaller lenses only possible on the M system.

For the RF system they can have the same mid-range features and sensor as the mid-range M model, but with the RF mount, bigger size, improved ergonomics and bigger battery.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
It sounds like the M is a funny position. on one hand a lot of people likes it but hope for more and better lens. On the other hand, a lot of people feel that the M is "old", does not have enough range of lens or "good" lens, and no path to upgrade to RF.
For me the M is a good travelling combination. The existing lens is not in the quality of L lens. But good enough, small enough and light weight. My M50 and 15-45 EF-M served me well in 3 days of cold and non stop raining days ( I dare not to change lens in the rain) in a well know scenic area and have never fail me even after that incident. On every trip, I pack my old 28-135 EF with adapter to be my telephoto lens when I need it. This combination handles very well, except it is on the heavy side.
I just hope that the keep the M system alive and give us a better 15-45 EF-M lens. For me, the 18-55mm ( I was using it until the 15-45 comes out)is not wide enough as a travel camera

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I am very cynical about this rumor - why buy existing stock of M products if no future - can someone be buying time and quieting the rumors to help move product? The problem with the rumor is it lacks details and has the functional effect of potentially giving false hope.
Why do you say "no future?" No reason to believe the rumor that the M series is ending any more than believing the rumor that it is not ending.

Why buy existing stock of M products? Because they are good products that will last for many years. The rumors shouldn't matter if you like the product, it seems to me.

Upvote 0
Why do you say "no future?" No reason to believe the rumor that the M series is ending any more than believing the rumor that it is not ending.

Why buy existing stock of M products? Because they are good products that will last for many years. The rumors shouldn't matter if you like the product, it seems to me.

I agree with you - I am trying to say the older rumors that the M is coming to an end had a chilling effect on sales so my cynical viewpoint sees the latest rumor as a way to salvage that so they can clear out inventory. They are just buying time and probably giving false hope - I hope I am wrong - I have a lot of M gear so I am sitting tight until there is clarity beyond rumors.

Upvote 0