Nikon Rumors Reporting Flagship Announcement Imminent. Will R1 Follow?

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
What I find very interesting is despite the up to now ‘standard’ ‘pro’ mp count in the 20’s for Sony, Canon, and Nikon the new models are all much much higher.

Yes, I agree. I think we may be past the days of "20 MP is good enough for a print newspaper, so it's good enough for me."

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Video is driving the resolution.
4K requires ~8MP.

Anyone who wants proper 8K video, say TV stations, would buy a cine camera.

I don't see those cameras used for anything more than short sequences. I don't see the market need for those to be 8K before all those companies upgrade their cameras twice. 4K TVs aren't mainstream yet, much the less 8K.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Nikon shut up and make us a D880 with a super AF system to keep company to our 500mm 5.6 PF :D

The 500 PF works better on the Z bodies, especially with TC's as all the AF points still work. Though I use my D500 as a 'TC' when it isn't on the Z6. I can see the Z9 being 50 MP and replacing my D500 and Z6 for the 500 until a big native prime comes, then the D500 gets to keep the 500 to itself.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't see those cameras used for anything more than short sequences. I don't see the market need for those to be 8K before all those companies upgrade their cameras twice. 4K TVs aren't mainstream yet, much the less 8K.
As with stills, high resolutions aren't mainly beneficial for large output formats, but for the greater amount of flexibility in post that they provide. Which is even greater in video, since more resolution does not only allow for a static crop but zooms and pans as well. Not to mention more information for content dependend image effects.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
4K requires ~8MP.

Anyone who wants proper 8K video, say TV stations, would buy a cine camera.

8MP with a 1x2 sensor. 12MP with a 3x2

But these cameras are all offering 8K. 8K on a 3x2 sensor is 45.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What I find very interesting is despite the up to now ‘standard’ ‘pro’ mp count in the 20’s for Sony, Canon, and Nikon the new models are all much much higher.
Yes, I agree. I think we may be past the days of "20 MP is good enough for a print newspaper, so it's good enough for me."
That's because these mirrorless flagship bodies aren't being built for the shrinking professional market of photojournalism and sports. They are for the much more lucrative market of enthusiasts with high disposable income who want the best money can buy.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Personally, I look forward to a pro-grade camera with high MP sensors. Readily allows for cropping to APS-C FOV and still have enough pixels on the subject, which is great for wildlife photography. I hope Canon makes a development announcement within the next 1-2 months along with photos of the front and, more importantly, the back of the camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That's because these mirrorless flagship bodies aren't being built for the shrinking professional market of photojournalism and sports. They are for the much more lucrative market of enthusiasts with high disposable income who want the best money can buy.
I don’t believe that either. Sure there are a lot of well heeled enthusiasts, but they have a vast selection of cameras to choose from, GFX 100/S, Leicas up the wazzo (and we all know nothing looks more important than a Leica), Hasselblad’s and on and on. No the ‘pro’ market is the underpinnings of the R1 and the Z9, and possibly the α1, if that were not true the companies would play much faster and looser with the ergonomics and feature sets of them. They are designed from the outset to facilitate easy transitions for people who have used prior models, they are not the ‘latest and greatest’ showcases.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I still find it interesting that when Lens Rentals listed their top 20 rental units of 2020, out of the five or six camera bodies that were within that top 20, not one of them was the high resolution version, but rather the 20-24 mp version. That must tell a story.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The 500 PF works better on the Z bodies, especially with TC's as all the AF points still work. Though I use my D500 as a 'TC' when it isn't on the Z6. I can see the Z9 being 50 MP and replacing my D500 and Z6 for the 500 until a big native prime comes, then the D500 gets to keep the 500 to itself.
The question is how fast does it focus in mirrorless bodies? Since my D850 and D500 focus excellently with my 500mm PF I don't care at all about the Z bodied (Not that I would get one. This would increase confusion: EOS DSLRs. EOS R5, Nikon DSLRs are more than enough). Also I would not get involved with a second lens converter. D850 handling (and D500) is superb and battery consumption minimal.

I do read what you say about their use with TCs so I would be interested in a future DSLR FF body that offers the same capability. Until then...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The question is how fast does it focus in mirrorless bodies? Since my D850 and D500 focus excellently with my 500mm PF I don't care at all about the Z bodied (Not that I would get one. This would increase confusion: EOS DSLRs. EOS R5, Nikon DSLRs are more than enough). Also I would not get involved with a second lens converter. D850 handling (and D500) is superb and battery consumption minimal.

I do read what you say about their use with TCs so I would be interested in a future DSLR FF body that offers the same capability. Until then...

I haven't seen any noticeable difference between the D500 and Z6 FW 3.11. And you can't really get much more f/8.0 AF points and definitely no f/11 AF points with a DSLR, mirrorless AF points get significantly more light hitting them than a DSLR that has to split the light between the viewfinder and AF. I certainly didn't feel like I was missing shots with the Z6 last time I was out.

Should say though, I use the Z6 like I use the D500 with single point and group. Don't have animal eye AF yet, and hope the Z9 brings that along to the same magic level as Canon. If they don't, well I get a better single point and group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I've read that it will have a stacked sensor. That's a big deal for video but not for stills. Like it or not, high end video is a big selling point for cameras.
Faster readout with no rolling shutter is a big selling point for stills. I don't want my fox picture spoiled by a slanted pole due to rolling shutter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0