Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's unique but not as impressive as the Rockies etc. but I've always appreciated what it has to offer. Incidentally, I have yet to photograph any owl near my place although I know they exist. The Pileated WP has been one of my more regular and interesting birds. Speaking of those two here is my attempt to encourage somebody to become a resident. And my finally completed appartment is for rent.
Nice work on the birdhouse! I'm impressed!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
More recovered Winter birds from that Jan. 28 day:

Mourning dove:
View attachment 196692

Northern cardinal:
View attachment 196693

View attachment 196694

Carolina(I assume) Chickadee:
View attachment 196695

Tufted titmouse:
View attachment 196696
"Carolina(I assume) Chickadee:" - they are really difficult to separate from the Black-caped.
See this also link: https://www.sibleyguides.com/bird-info/black-capped-chickadee/black-capped-carolina-chickadee/

From what I see in your photo the greater wing covers are too dark for Black-caped. In the Black-caped they are with more white at the edges.
Otherwise most of the little differences are better visible in photos taken at closer distance and nearly perfect light/angle.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Still checking what I can and can't do with TC-14 attached. Today I got very good opportunity - in the beginning of the hike it was dark, on my way back the light got much better. In poor light the AF sucks. And focus-tracking is almost non-existent. The photos below are from my way back.

DSC_3877_DxO.jpgDSC_3948_DxO.jpgDSC_4018_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Still checking what I can and can't do with TC-14 attached. Today I got very good opportunity - in the beginning of the hike it was dark, on my way back the light got much better. In poor light the AF sucks. And focus-tracking is almost non-existent. The photos below are from my way back.

View attachment 196708View attachment 196709View attachment 196710
A great benefit of the R5 is its ability to focus fast and accurately at narrow apertures. The f/11 lenses focus very fast and accurately even with a 1.4xTC. They also track very well. I don’t notice any loss of AF when I put TCs on my adapted lenses on the R5.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A great benefit of the R5 is its ability to focus fast and accurately at narrow apertures. The f/11 lenses focus very fast and accurately even with a 1.4xTC. They also track very well. I don’t notice any loss of AF when I put TCs on my adapted lenses on the R5.
Alan would you judge the 400 DO X2 to have any AF degradation and if so roughly how much. That's my workhorse and I'm contemplating selling the 1DX2 which handles the combination very well. So, for a time at least, I would be living with just the R5.

Another item I wanted to question was the handling of the combined adapter, 2X and 400 DO - is there any looseness or feelings of it lacking physical integrity?

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan would you judge the 400 DO X2 to have any AF degradation and if so roughly how much. That's my workhorse and I'm contemplating selling the 1DX2 which handles the combination very well. So, for a time at least, I would be living with just the R5.

Another item I wanted to question was the handling of the combined adapter, 2X and 400 DO - is there any looseness or feelings of it lacking physical integrity?

Jack
Jack, the 400 DO II with 2xTC is brilliant on the R5. The AF is transformed from what it was on the 5DIV and 5DSR for me - I never used the 400mm DO II with the 2xTC on the 5DSR, and found the accuracy of the 800mm on the 5DIV a bit variable. On the R5, at 800mm it is at least as quick as the R 100-500mm, tracks at least as well, and, most importantly, the AF is very precise. I have posted some moon shots with a 2xTC + 3xTC at 2400mm f/24, where the AF was good!
Alan

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
"Carolina(I assume) Chickadee:" - they are really difficult to separate from the Black-caped.
See this also link: https://www.sibleyguides.com/bird-info/black-capped-chickadee/black-capped-carolina-chickadee/

From what I see in your photo the greater wing covers are too dark for Black-caped. In the Black-caped they are with more white at the edges.
Otherwise most of the little differences are better visible in photos taken at closer distance and nearly perfect light/angle.
Thanks, ISv. I can't tell enough of a difference in looking online, but my Richmond Kentucky location is in the range of the Carolina variety (but not that far from the other's range) so I'm just making that assumption.

Now, if you see my "mourning dove" photos, I'd be interested to hear if that name is correct. I'm just guessing based on a quick scan of the internet and I'd rather not be using an incorrect name.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, the 400 DO II with 2xTC is brilliant on the R5. The AF is transformed from what it was on the 5DIV and 5DSR for me - I never used the 400mm DO II with the 2xTC on the 5DSR, and found the accuracy of the 800mm on the 5DIV a bit variable. On the R5, at 800mm it is at least as quick as the R 100-500mm, tracks at least as well, and, most importantly, the AF is very precise. I have posted some moon shots with a 2xTC + 3xTC at 2400mm f/24, where the AF was good!
Alan
Thanks, Alan. The job that was to be "paid" by me purchasing an R5 is over but now it's immediately into a bathroom reno job so once again I lack spare time but... the boss has given the go-ahead so an R5 purchase is maybe days away. All the feedback says it's a no-brainer. CR and its great contributors come through all the time!:)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks, ISv. I can't tell enough of a difference in looking online, but my Richmond Kentucky location is in the range of the Carolina variety (but not that far from the other's range) so I'm just making that assumption.

Now, if you see my "mourning dove" photos, I'd be interested to hear if that name is correct. I'm just guessing based on a quick scan of the internet and I'd rather not be using an incorrect name.
Here is a couple of African Mourning Doves I took in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. They have larger black patches on their necks, but yours seem consistent with internet images of the American Mourning Dove, which I now gather is unrelated (5DIV + 400mm DO II +2xTC).

2B4A6892-DxO_mourning_doves-1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

On page 1129 you posted photos of typical (American) Mourning dove (except the colors:)). Your last post is taken in such an angle (and again the colors!) that makes the ID more difficult, but if the photo is taken in USA I hardly can think about something else than Mourning dove.
Concerning the African Mourning dove - it's in different genus of doves (Streptopelia - same as the Eurasian Colored Dove). The American Mourning dove is in genus Zenaida.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
On page 1129 you posted photos of typical (American) Mourning dove (except the colors:)). Your last post is taken in such an angle (and again the colors!) that makes the ID more difficult, but if the photo is taken in USA I hardly can think about something else than Mourning dove.
Concerning the African Mourning dove - it's in different genus of doves (Streptopelia - same as the Eurasian Colored Dove). The American Mourning dove is in genus Zenaida.
ISv you're a genus genius.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, it is a fairly grey bird. But PL4 can accentuate color hidden within it sometimes when "asked to". One of my friend calls it putting "ketchup" on it. I try not to put too much on it as it get kind of a "burned" look (eg. too much contrast), so the more I adjust birds in post the less ketchup I add and I think they're slowly getting better because of it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Here is a couple of African Mourning Doves I took in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. They have larger black patches on their necks, but yours seem consistent with internet images of the American Mourning Dove, which I now gather is unrelated (5DIV + 400mm DO II +2xTC).

View attachment 196719
Thanks, AlanF. I'm pretty new to birding. Covid hunkering down has caused me to switch gears away from travel & flower photos towards my new kitten/cat and bird photos above our feeder.

Upvote 0