Show your Bird Portraits

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Not much activity yesterday, and exposure was a hassle thanks to the sun constantly ducking in and out behind clouds. A little more variety in the targets this outing, though...

I love the early morning light these days
R5_101_7736.jpg

R5_101_7745.jpg

Whatchoo lookin' at???
R5_101_7830.jpg

I see these little guys every time I'm out at this park, never have I seen one come out and pose for me like this guy did.
R5_101_8692_Edit.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Thanks, ISv. I can't tell enough of a difference in looking online, but my Richmond Kentucky location is in the range of the Carolina variety (but not that far from the other's range) so I'm just making that assumption.

Now, if you see my "mourning dove" photos, I'd be interested to hear if that name is correct. I'm just guessing based on a quick scan of the internet and I'd rather not be using an incorrect name.
Bing has a handy website tool to look up varieties of birds. Just add your image and Bing will attempt to local similar images. This generally has links to websites with the type of bird. This is what I typically do when trying to find out the name of a bird. https://www.bing.com/visualsearch

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
More Winter photos (R5 & RF 100-500L)

Carolina chickadee:
View attachment 196721

House finch:
View attachment 196722

View attachment 196723

Northern cardinal:
View attachment 196724

View attachment 196725
Thanks, AlanF. I'm pretty new to birding. Covid hunkering down has caused me to switch gears away from travel & flower photos towards my new kitten/cat and bird photos above our feeder.
Well done! It’s a great hobby and you really have taken to it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
More Winter photos. An occasional photo from a previous brief scan of this huge folder may have been included in the much bigger list of photos here that I'm showing after an in-depth review of this folder. (It feels scary to click a button to delete almost 3,000 photos after you've gone over them and they need to be discarded). Canon: you *need* to allow slower rates than 20 FPS for fully electronic shutter use.

House finch:
A01_8608_1_2k95%.jpg

Northern cardinal.
I wish the focus was sharper, but when birds bolt they don't give any warning.
A01_8678_1_2k95%.jpg

A01_8790_1_2k95%.jpg

House finch:
A01_8862_1_2k95%.jpg

Northern cardinal:
A01_8936_1_2k95%.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Excellent series, usern4cr.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What colors! It's almost hard to imagine any bird with more striking colors than this!

Beautiful bird. Very nice picture.
Thanks! Among ducks, wood duck and Harlequins are the most colorful ones. I am lucky that both show up in Calgary for mating and raising the young.

Upvote 0
He certainly is! We don’t have these beautiful birds in the UK.
Thanks Alan
This time of year, they show up, usually in groups of 10 or more. Unfortunately this spring there are only two of them here. Perhaps because of unusually dry winter. Many of the wetland ponds, that they build their nest, are dry. I hope that this is only a passing phase and does not affect the survival of these beautiful birds.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Now that Spring has finally arrived here in the PNW we are starting to get a nice variety of birds. This little Pine Siskin decided to drop in yesterday. They are hard to distinguish from the female House Finch. The beak is the giveaway but you can also spot a bit of yellow on the Pine Siskin's wings.Pine Siskin - K1A8686.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0