Canon Inc. releases their Q1 2021 financials

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Inc. has released its financials for Q1 of 2021. Revenue and sales have been very good compared to the same time last year. Canon has even raised sales and revenue projections for their imagine division.
Check out the official Canon Inc Q1 2021 Financial Information

Presentation Material
Results
Supplementary Data

Canon Imaging Presentation
As for cameras, even amid continued restrictions on people’s movement, demand for cameras remains solid, supported by the need for high-quality visual expression. Based on this, we still expect the 2021 camera market to be up slightly or 5.8 million units.
In the first quarter, revenue was significantly higher...

Continue reading...

the real reason for the r3 dev announcement... should have guessed. if you cant sell product might as well sell stock.
Can't sell product?

"In the first quarter, [camera] revenue was significantly higher than last year, as sales remained strong, driven by the EOS R5 and EOS R6 which were launched in the second half of last year." - Canon

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
"By raising the appeal of the R series, we aim to further raising our market share in the full-frame category and increase sales."

Me crying in the corner, waiting for an APS-C camera from Canon to use with my current EF-S glass, with equivalent specs like the R6 or something like a baby R5.

Please publish some reliable R7 rumors soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
It's a bad day for the "Canon is the next Kodak" crowd.

It's a bad day for people who like M too. Once again, Canon doesn't even acknowledge its existence. I can't remember the last time that I heard a Canon executive mention M.
We need to get away from this need for acknowledgement from camera company execs. They're not our parents.

M hasn't been getting whacked with the guillotine of discontinuations like EF has. I think that alone speaks to some level of safety/longevity for it. RF is the flagship of Canon. It makes sense for it to be their priority.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The surprising thing to me, perhaps because I haven't followed Canon's more recent reports is that digital cinema cameras are now back in Canon's imaging segment. This was re-classified back in 2019 and moved into industry. Would it be possible that this category's performance is improving or is the rest of Canon's imaging portfolio doing well enough now to hide its performance or lack thereof? There is nary a mention of any EOS cinema in its reporting these days.

According to BCN, JVC has ~11% market share in 3rd place, so all of the other players must just have a sliver of the market including Canon. It would be great to see a comparison of "digital cine cameras" specifically referring to companies like RED, Blackmagic, Kinefinity, ZCAM, Arri, etc.. but I guess the fact that they are all private companies and probably not well represented in just Japan wouldn't be too telling unless you had access to a private market research paper and even then would depend on the geographic area.

Upvote 0
The surprising thing to me, perhaps because I haven't followed Canon's more recent reports is that digital cinema cameras are now back in Canon's imaging segment.
Canon rearranged their divisions to make more sense. As one example, (IJP) ink jet printers used to be in Canon's Imaging division.

Attachments

• CanonReorg.jpg
    CanonReorg.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's great news. It's a bit strange that if someone wants a good 4K camera, the cheapest in Canon land is the $2500 R6. The M6 4K is soft and the system is dying, the RP 4K is almost useless.
And a 1D C costs $1,000-$1,500 and has some of the best 4K out there still....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's great news. It's a bit strange that if someone wants a good 4K camera, the cheapest in Canon land is the $2500 R6. The M6 4K is soft and the system is dying, the RP 4K is almost useless.
Wondering what is defined as "good". My R shoots great 4k, in my opinion. Of course, video is of almost no interest to me, however, when I do shoot video I am highly satisfied.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
the real reason for the r3 dev announcement... should have guessed. if you cant sell product might as well sell stock.
Written with an impressive lack of comprehension about how markets work. Selling product is only indirectly and weakly linked to a company’s value. I own shares of multiple biotech companies with no products to sell, ‘earnings’ calls that report only losses, and billions in market cap.

Overall a nice recovery from the pandemic for Canon.
3DE1D82A-EBC6-4F38-BB2D-78C429032BC8.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0