Canon Inc. releases their Q1 2021 financials

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
the real reason for the r3 dev announcement... should have guessed. if you cant sell product might as well sell stock.
@neuroanatomist, @CanonFanBoy, @jam05, @John Wilde, I think you may be missing the point.

The report references supply shortages. Essentially acknowledging that they have been unable to met demand. So, this take is actually correct in that, if there is not product to sell, you can still sell stock because investors are looking at future sales, not past sales, plus the high demand for product is keeping retail prices up and improving Canon's profit margin. This certainly can boost the value of Canon stock.

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
@neuroanatomist, @CanonFanBoy, @jam05, @John Wilde, I think you may be missing the point.

The report references supply shortages. Essentially acknowledging that they have been unable to met demand. So, this take is actually correct in that, if there is not product to sell, you can still sell stock because investors are looking at future sales, not past sales, plus the high demand for product is keeping retail prices up and improving Canon's profit margin. This certainly can boost the value of Canon stock.
They will say Canon is intentionally holding back sales to jack up the stock

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Where in the report does it say that Canon issued new shares? Since Canon is nearly 99% publicly owned, they really don’t have equity to drop into the market, meaning they don’t have shares to sell unless they issue more, which dilutes ownership (something current investors don’t like) and requires disclosure, meaning they haven’t done that either. So if you believe Canon is ‘selling shares’ you are also demonstrating your lack of understanding.

(Side note: people generally have a very poor understanding of how the capital markets actually work, so you’re far from alone.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"By raising the appeal of the R series, we aim to further raising our market share in the full-frame category and increase sales."

Me crying in the corner, waiting for an APS-C camera from Canon to use with my current EF-S glass, with equivalent specs like the R6 or something like a baby R5.

Please publish some reliable R7 rumors soon.
The adapters let you use either ef-s or Ef glass on the R series cameras. I've tried it

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
"By raising the appeal of the R series, we aim to further raising our market share in the full-frame category and increase sales."

Me crying in the corner, waiting for an APS-C camera from Canon to use with my current EF-S glass, with equivalent specs like the R6 or something like a baby R5.

Canon tends to follow the money.
If the 7D, 90D, and M6 sell well then expect an R7.
My worry is what they will do based on what they think will happen.
I would gladly buy any of those cameras with the IBIS that I would expect included in an R7 and I am not sure how many people they think are like me in that regard.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Imagine if the R1 gets every SONY and Nikon user to come over to Canon
Nikon is a possibility but I think it would take more than one camera.
Sony users tend to like smaller full-frame cameras.
I did hear a lot of noise from Sony users about switching to the R5 before overheating issues and the release of the A7S III.
While I am confident that Canon and Nikon can compete with Sony in making smaller cameras, I am just as confident that they can't drive Sony out of the market.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Where in the report does it say that Canon issued new shares? Since Canon is nearly 99% publicly owned, they really don’t have equity to drop into the market, meaning they don’t have shares to sell unless they issue more, which dilutes ownership (something current investors don’t like) and requires disclosure, meaning they haven’t done that either. So if you believe Canon is ‘selling shares’ you are also demonstrating your lack of understanding.

(Side note: people generally have a very poor understanding of how the capital markets actually work, so you’re far from alone.)
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ZaF4Vl1NQxwaVsStQU" width="478" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020

Same here, I'm clutching my 5D3 and M6 Mark II and hoping Canon has anything in store for APS-C shooters. I'm just a guy who likes taking photos and does the occasional paid gig and there's no way I'm getting on board the RF mount at its current price point. Are they really going to press on with full-frame and forget about the entire (lucrative) APS-C market and leave us to migrate to Sony or Fuji?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
It's great news. It's a bit strange that if someone wants a good 4K camera, the cheapest in Canon land is the $2500 R6. The M6 4K is soft and the system is dying, the RP 4K is almost useless.
Back illuminated tech maybe makes cheap thick wired sensors lot better when those can be placed under sensor and amount of them can be greatly increased.
So next cheap full frame camera will be lot more competent. No more DR capping or may even get doublepixel gain if enough speed for that.
Trying say increasing of complexity of sensor is lot cheaper than increasing minituarizion of sensor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a bad day for the "Canon is the next Kodak" crowd.

It's a bad day for people who like M too. Once again, Canon doesn't even acknowledge its existence. I can't remember the last time that I heard a Canon executive mention M.
I'll still be using my M5 and EF-M 18-150mm for years to come. At least they haven't started discontinuing the EF-M lenses.

It's great news. It's a bit strange that if someone wants a good 4K camera, the cheapest in Canon land is the $2500 R6. The M6 4K is soft and the system is dying, the RP 4K is almost useless.
There is also the 90D which can do 4K 30p, but I don't know much about video so I'm not sure if it's considered good or not.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Same here, I'm clutching my 5D3 and M6 Mark II and hoping Canon has anything in store for APS-C shooters. I'm just a guy who likes taking photos and does the occasional paid gig and there's no way I'm getting on board the RF mount at its current price point. Are they really going to press on with full-frame and forget about the entire (lucrative) APS-C market and leave us to migrate to Sony or Fuji?
If the APS-C market were so lucrative, Canon would keep it around. The lower end of the market is getting clobbered.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
One needs to ask oneself before buying bottom-of-the-line bodies and lenses (EF-S, e.g.) whether they are really economical in the long term.
Indeed when I started out years ago as a student it was more rational to sell a kidney and buy top of the line equipment. This is all useless however because it all happend already. Hopefully I can ask your opinion for any future decision making. However I cannot pay for the advice unfortunately. As I am saving now you know for top of the line full frame glass.

Regards

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
There is a new rumor that the next camera from Sony will be APS-C.
If Canon does not leak or announce something I will find it pretty tempting.
I am not tempted by Fuji at all.

Upvote 0