Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
If the entire camera's performance were based entirely on dynamic range at ISO 100, then yes. But the R5 is a whole different animal of incredible value when you compare those two. However, the A1 is near zero distortion electronic shutter performance camera that introduces a slew of benefits in its own right. The R3 will hopefully bring the rigid feeling I miss from my 1DXII and incredible electronic shutter performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I just kept thinking "please let it be more than 30MP". Now, here we are at 30.1.

But even if it is "just" 30MP, I am sure it will be fabulous. Just not quite as exciting for getting close to birds, but hopefully even better AF and image quality to make up for it.
How can you know?
The camera has not even been announced yet.

Upvote 0
You haven’t ever owned a 1 series camera have you....
I dont think R5 price point is proper but def not 6k. I have an a1 (sony bodies are cheap moment they've been out a month. I paid less than 6 for mine open box condition) there's much to be desired on that body in terms of physical things but other than that it is fantastic. I am more excited about a R1 then this, I don't really care for the 8k video on the R5 (only used it once when I got the body) looking at these specs, thinking about body. 5300 is probably the most I'd pay for it. I mean why do we no thave dual CF express on this thing? Seems like the canon cripple hammer is showing a bit, if this is to be at 6k.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
So if the R3 is 31MP, that means the R1 must be 50MP?
I doubt it , more likely the same or less mp : I predict 24mp for the R1 which is going to be their flagship professional sports camera with probably twin Digic X processors and twin CF Express slots and maybe 40 fps, but they will probably make a high resolution R5 variant of perhaps 80-90mp

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I dont think R5 price point is proper but def not 6k. I have an a1 (sony bodies are cheap moment they've been out a month. I paid less than 6 for mine open box condition) there's much to be desired on that body in terms of physical things but other than that it is fantastic. I am more excited about a R1 then this, I don't really care for the 8k video on the R5 (only used it once when I got the body) looking at these specs, thinking about body. 5300 is probably the most I'd pay for it. I mean why do we no thave dual CF express on this thing? Seems like the canon cripple hammer is showing a bit, if this is to be at 6k.
Whatever Canon price the R3 at it will be sold out for months and months and it will hold its value until at least the R3 II announcement.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Oh, this cripple hammer nonsense. Half of the people want double CF express and half want CF + SD. How do you please both? Nikon had the best solution, offer 2 versions of the camera with different card configurations.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Whatever Canon price the R3 at it will be sold out for months and months and it will hold its value until at least the R3 II announcement.
Yeah I expect it to be sold out, I also don't expect that many units avail due to chip shortages but doesn't change my mind set on it. I will preorder one anyway because I want to play with the eye af, unless its some magical sauce I will just sell it off after a month and have played with it as a free rental.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
This one really came outta left field. Do I wait for the R1.. the R5C or just get this? It’s a tough call. Probably cheaper to switch to Leica… Sure you spend $9500 for the body… and another $9k on a single lens; but you keep those bodies for life. Hence the slogan, “Leica for life”. Canon and Sony you update yearly.

Upvote 0
Oh, this cripple hammer nonsense. Half of the people want double CF express and half want CF + SD. How do you please both? Nikon had the best solution, offer 2 versions of the camera with different card configurations.
This is a professional grade camera, even the 1dxmiii was dual CF express. A sports action camera 30 fps where one card writes slower than the other? Make sense to you? If you can afford a 6k body you can afford another CF express card, they are much cheaper these days.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
Based on the rumors, my main issue is the mismatched card slots. I'm stunned they'd do this on a 1 series/pro type body. Everything else is a great upgrade for me coming from the OG 1DX. I usually buy every other 1 series camera but skipped the 1DX mIII waiting for my mirrorless switch. This looks to be worthy. Of course, waiting for the release to double check rumor vs reality. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Btw, the era of DSLR 1 series cameras required the sacrifice of resolution to focus on speed and performance because of the state of technology at the time of their creation. That was the state of the art at that time. The best of what was possible. This is OBVIOUSLY not the case anymore. Please do not compare the two eras. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It has a 1 series battery, 1 series build, 1 series weather sealing, 1 series AF, better than 1 series fps, and better than 1 series connectivity and WiFi. Call it what you will, it is a sub $7,000 1 series that takes RF lenses.
I'm not calling it anything. Canon is. : |

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0