Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Availability will be a key question mark. The agencies and CPS members will likely get theirs first, the rest of us low lifes will have to wait.

Good old Tony Northrup doesn't think we'll see the R3 untill 2022, maybe even the second half. That sounds way too long a wait, may as well not announce it then. I believe late fall of this year is most likely.
They did the development announcement, so this should be a full product announcement. Hope by late August to mid-September since I am heading to YNP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Canon also said at introduction that the R5 was NOT a replacement for the 5DIV, and yet it is.

They want to protect the 1Dx3's market value by calling it the flagship, but how can a camera with an obsolete mount be considered a flagship? The R3 will beat the 1Dx3 in almost every way, so it will be the flagship until the R1 arrives.
Well the 1DXiii has better auto focus acquisition speed than R5 and who knows how it will compare to the R3.
The R5 and R6 can quite often really struggle to "see" an object so you need to prefocus or even manually focus before they lock on and start tracking it whereas top DSLRs have no trouble with this usually.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There are many reasons why a 300/2.8 won’t work and a 300/4 will. Size, weight and cost, for example. The same logic applies to a 70-200 or a 24-70 zoom.
I recall a Peter Reed Miller video where he said he uses the 70-200 f4 because of the lighter weight.

Upvote 0
Canon also said at introduction that the R5 was NOT a replacement for the 5DIV, and yet it is.

They want to protect the 1Dx3's market value by calling it the flagship, but how can a camera with an obsolete mount be considered a flagship? The R3 will beat the 1Dx3 in almost every way, so it will be the flagship until the R1 arrives.
EF mount is still superior, because it has the most native glass available by a very wide margin.

Also, for video, EF lenses will always be better than RF lenses. The EF to RF mounts with ND are a game changer, and ensure that video shooters won’t ever be buying RF glass. Much better to have an ND wheel between an EF lens and RF camera than a RF lens without the ability to control ND. Same is true for cine glass, why buy RF when you can use EF mount lenses with an ND wheel on the back end?

Upvote 0
RAW 4K would have to be heavily cropped from 30 MP.
Has anyone done the calculation of what RAW video would be from 30 MP?
It would have to be over 6K.
Yeah I’m super interested in this aspect of the camera. The 4K oversample will look great fr

There are three options for RAW:

4K RAW - would have to be cropped heavily (this is the worse option)

6K RAW - smaller crop but still not ideal

Native RAW - No crop.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
You must have been stunned by every 1-series body except the 1D X and 1D X III.
Said this before, if someone is writing to the second card slot as a backup, just write jpg to the second card. No risk of losing the work, but no slowdown either (or at least minimal slowdown) if you are writing sequentially to both cards then wait for a break in the action and put in a new card in the first slot. People act like this is some insurmountable challenge.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
EF mount is still superior, because it has the most native glass available by a very wide margin.

Also, for video, EF lenses will always be better than RF lenses. The EF to RF mounts with ND are a game changer, and ensure that video shooters won’t ever be buying RF glass. Much better to have an ND wheel between an EF lens and RF camera than a RF lens without the ability to control ND. Same is true for cine glass, why buy RF when you can use EF mount lenses with an ND wheel on the back end?
RF mount can accept EF glass, the reverse is not true. Therefore the RF mount is superior - you get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
I just kept thinking "please let it be more than 30MP". Now, here we are at 30.1.

But even if it is "just" 30MP, I am sure it will be fabulous. Just not quite as exciting for getting close to birds, but hopefully even better AF and image quality to make up for it.
If you want to get real close to birds with the R3, Canon will happily sell you some nice telephoto glass coupled with a tc for just a few bucks more :)

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
If you want to get real close to birds with the R3, Canon will happily sell you some nice telephoto glass coupled with a tc for just a few bucks more :)
Looking forward to getting some! Just not anything announced so far. Looking for the rumored gems like a lightweight 500mm, 400 DO, etc. I don't have the strength (or budget) to get the lenses coming out in July 8th, amazing as they will be.

Upvote 0

xiaohuaa

CR Pro
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah I’m super interested in this aspect of the camera. The 4K oversample will look great fr

There are three options for RAW:

4K RAW - would have to be cropped heavily (this is the worse option)

6K RAW - smaller crop but still not ideal

Native RAW - No crop.
Half way on my calculation I realized 30.1MP is the same number of pixel on Eos R if it’s the number of effective pixels. So the crop for 1:1 4K will be 1.74 as Eos R, 1.17 crop for 6K raw and Natuve raw is 7K.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Are you taking about sub $4K for an aps-c camera?
My dream APS-C camera would probably cost close to the R5 as it would have high megapixels on a BSI stacked sensor with quad pixel AF, deep learning, etc in a rugged body like the R3. So yeah, sub $4k by maybe not sub $3k. Obviously I would prefer for the cost to be lower, but this dream camera would have all the highest specs so it would have a high cost (again, a camera I am making up, not something I expect to see anytime soon.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Honest question from a heavy T/S user, why?
I recently combined 6D with TS-E 90 as a video conference camera. For fun initially, but now I like more and more the ability to control a DoF plane.
So if the R3 is 31MP, that means the R1 must be 50MP?
I think so. The camera with a "1" in its name has to have a 8k capability nowadays...
Looks like Canon is trying to steal a little bit of Nikon's thunder, seeing their announcement is reported to be June 28th!
O, that explains why a 30mpx camera with 30 fps is not introduced in June, 30th!

Upvote 0
This is a backside illuminated but, more importantly, it's a stacked sensor. This should result in performance on par with the Sony A1. I am hopeful we see it perform even better than the A1 - especially in low light. The main benefits to this stacked sensor design is extremely fast readout speeds - think minimal visual distortion with electronic shutter - and, on paper, backside illumination should reduce image noise. I stress "on paper" because that has been the idea from Sony for its sensors using this design, but it hasn't really demonstrated a monumental leap in the real world. I would argue that the stacked sensor readout speed is the most important aspect of all of this.
So 15+ stops of DR , hopefully.

Upvote 0