The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced in September

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I have been making annual fall trips to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons since 2000. I was so excited when Canon released the R5 because it arrived in time for my 2020 trip (yes, I rolled the dice with COVID). I was even more excited with the June R3 announcement rumor since I thought the R3 would be in my hands for fall 2021. I doubt the camera will arrive by September 23rd for my trip and it seems late for integrating into kit for sporting events.

Bummer!

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
COVID induced chip shortage and supply chain issues won’t be resolved very soon, here in HK many of the RF L lenses such as 100-500, 24-105L, 85.2 and even the EF-EOS-RF adapters are back-ordered, typically people who want to order need to wait at least 2-3 months.
I sometimes wonder if many who complain about availability haven’t even placed an order. Waiting for something to be in stock is not a serious strategy. Everyone who orders on announcement day gets theirs the first day.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well, a lower rez stacked, back side sensor with bigger sensing sites would have better noise and dynamic range.
And why would that be? I don't understand.

BSI eliminates the wiring that is blocking a part of the light in conventional sensors. As there has to be more of this wiring on a higher resolution sensor, it actually should reduce the difference between high end low resolution even more in terms of noise - and the difference is already negligible in my eyes:

And DR depends so heavily on noise. I know a single large pixel has higher DR than a single small one - but we are usually care about images, and therefore average multiple pixel together to compare image sections of the same area. Which results in the same light and noise per area, so where is the advantage for lower resolution sensors coming from?

To be clear I do expect Canon to improve both in terms of DR and low light performance with this new sensor. It marks a pretty strong shift in their manufacturing technology after all. I just don't see that improvement being related to the resolution and fully expect the upcoming, higher resolution bodies (R5s, R1?) to outperform it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
There were rumors that Nikon might announce the Z9 on June 28th, and that Canon would announce the R3 on June 29th. Canon appeared to want to steal Nikon's media thunder.
Then Nikon didn't make the Z9 announcement, and Canon didn't either.
Yesterday there were new rumors about Nikon releasing the Z9 in November/December, and now we get a new Canon rumor about the R3 coming out in September.

Coincidence?:unsure:

Perhaps we should invent a new rumor that the Nikon Z9 is coming out in August to see if Canon responds by releasing the R3 early, just to ensure they one-up Nikon.

Might be my best shot at getting the R3 before a November trip.
I so hope you are able to get an R3 before your Nov trip but with a Sept announcement, that may be cutting it close, unless of course, supply is adequate for a change. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Has there been another new camera that has been seen out in the field and even physically ‘reviewed’ so far ahead of the official announcement?
Not that I recall. The sudden surge of pre-release teasers in June makes me think it's at least plausible that Canon was planning to make an announcement at the end of June. I strongly suspect someone took a look at the long backlog of out of stock products and decided maybe it wasn't a good idea to inject a new body into the mix, especially one that was going to result in a spike in demand for lenses they can't deliver.

While rationally, most folks understand the supply chain problems, consumers are impatient (and I include myself in that category). I also expect that Canon is starting to get some blowback from major retailers. Adorama has not had the 100-500 in stock for six months. B&H is in a similar position. Canon seems to be prioritizing what little stock they have to their own web store. And while that maximizes Canon's profit, the big retailers can't be happy about it, as they account for a much larger percentage of Canon's revenue stream and Canon is kind of sticking it to them.

I imagine the big retailers can borrow against the backorders, but I also imagine that banks aren't lending at 100%, but rather at a deeply discounted rate, assuming that many of those backorders will never be completed. At some point everyone loses patience.

So, I just guessing (and it is only a guess, but a plausible one) that Canon decided they didn't need to throw one more product into the pipeline right now.

On the plus side, I still believe this may be a sign that Canon expects the backlog of lenses and other products to ease around the time they finally release the R3.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0