BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
@stevelee raised the subject of sharpness and BIF, and I remarked that a bit of wing blur could give the sense of motion but the beak and eye should be sharp. I recall now some shots I took 9 years ago, when I was very young and had a 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC on a 7D (unfortunately I was just taking jpegs then). Suddenly, along came my only chance of a hovering kingfisher, and I was set up at iso400 and the shutter speed was 1/330s - so small that it is upscaled 2x to post. I got the head perfectly in focus, and had almost the ultimate wing motion. It does show something. Today, I would have 20-30 shots at 1/3200s and make a gif.;)

_MG_8064 crop_KIngfisher_Hover2_00xSH.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... of a hovering kingfisher, and I was set up at iso400 and the shutter speed was 1/330s - so small that it is upscaled 2x to post. I got the head perfectly in focus, and had almost the ultimate wing motion. It does show something. Today, I would have 20-30 shots at 1/3200s and make a gif.;)
And I would prefer that "old" photo :love: any time over any gif ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Greetings BIF enthusiasts! Jan and Glenn released their latest video today, and it focuses entirely on BIFs and BIF settings! I know everyone posting here is already a BIF pro, but in case you are curious to see what settings others are using or know a friend trying to get into BIFs, I found this video to be a great introduction.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
When I was in Northern Germany lately this juvenile buzzard was flying over our house and always crying.
Seems it was about to be weaned at this time.
Shortly after this juvenile an old one - maybe its mom - appeared, obviously in moult.
It was followed and attacked by swallows - funnily those didn't care about the juvenile. I suppose they knew that it wasn't dangerous to them (right now).

Buzzard_BIF03.JPG

Buzzard_BIF04.JPG

Buzzard_BIF05.JPG

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0