Mushrooms And Fungi Of Any Kind

I'm not taking photos of fungi now but several years ago they were my prime object. Unfortunately I may deleted the NEF files (can't find them right now) and the noise reduction is not of the recent years level. All photos are taken at very closed aperture for maximum detail/info (even in the background) for purpose of ID.

View attachment 199851View attachment 199853View attachment 199854View attachment 199855View attachment 199856View attachment 199857View attachment 199858
Very nice ISv!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Very nice ISv!
Thanks jprusa!
I wouldn't say the IQ is that good but the purpose of these photos (except the last two which are common here and well described) was for ID. Non of the first five was given ID to species, for some even to genus by the local, professional mycologists that I contacted. In fact I was supplying also a dry material for microscopy and field descriptions together with the photos.
All these are from Hawaii, most of them are "guests" from other continents and there is big mess in the taxonomy of the tropical fungi (and not only of the tropical). So, my hobby in that time was pretty purposeful:)
Anyway, I have tons of photos of fungi (unfortunately many from the film era that I'm not going to digitize) and will post some in portions...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Very nice shots but wish you would post the meta data so we could observe your cam and lens settings. I love mushrooms and documentaries about them. If, by chance you haven't already seen and have access to Netflix docs, you might enjoy the following story. https://www.netflix.com/title/81183477. It is just fascinating to watch and learn about the world of mushrooms on this doc.
Hello, canonmike!
Thanks for that Netflix hint.
About meta data:
I don't want to spread too much personal data in the web, but I've added the exposure data to my pics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Like your Iso and aperture? :unsure:
As you can see I have added exposure data to my posts above. And I will always do so if asked for.
But have you ever read out the full EXIF of a picture?
If not you would be surprised what it tells about all your gear, incl. serial nr., GPS data, if it's switched on, etc..
And I don't want anybody trying to register at Canon or somewhere else with serial nrs. of my gear, for example.
Of course one can modify and select data. But for me it is easier to just leave it away.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I've had macro lenses in the past, but never used them much. I've never done any focus stacking, and certainly don't recall ever having photographed mushrooms, but this thread inspired me to do both. Using the RF 100 and my R5's focus bracketing feature, I photographed these fungi in my flower beds. Natural light, 50 frames, ISO 800, f/4, 1/50th. I have no idea what kind they are, but there's lots of them. Used the Helicon Focus trial to process. I tried Affinity Photo and Photoshop as well, but Helicon did the best at default settings. I found this more interesting than I expected...so that's a win. Anyway, here is my first attempt at focus stacking.

2021-08-29 16-23-16 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4)_C1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I've had macro lenses in the past, but never used them much. I've never done any focus stacking, and certainly don't recall ever having photographed mushrooms, but this thread inspired me to do both. Using the RF 100 and my R5's focus bracketing feature, I photographed these fungi in my flower beds. Natural light, 50 frames, ISO 800, f/4, 1/50th. I have no idea what kind they are, but there's lots of them. Used the Helicon Focus trial to process. I tried Affinity Photo and Photoshop as well, but Helicon did the best at default settings. I found this more interesting than I expected...so that's a win. Anyway, here is my first attempt at focus stacking.

View attachment 199939
That’s quite neat, HenryL. My few attempts at focus stacking left me with several halos to remove afterwards. I like the gloss on the righthand mushroom.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016

A 23 picture focus stack with the Eos R and Laowa 60mm Macro, LED light by Samsung smartphone.

View attachment 199934
That’s quite an impressive grouping. A very nice job. The lighting adds a great look. How many watt-seconds is that Samsung?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

A 23 picture focus stack with the Eos R and Laowa 60mm Macro, LED light by Samsung smartphone.

View attachment 199934

View attachment 199939
I really like the focus stacking with these subjects. You have a great job with stunning results.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not taking photos of fungi now but several years ago they were my prime object. Unfortunately I may deleted the NEF files (can't find them right now) and the noise reduction is not of the recent years level. All photos are taken at very closed aperture for maximum detail/info (even in the background) for purpose of ID.

View attachment 199851View attachment 199853View attachment 199854View attachment 199855View attachment 199856View attachment 199857View attachment 199858
Very interesting shots.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

View attachment 199939
Nicely done....

Upvote 0

View attachment 199939
It turned out good, I like the way the background looks.

Upvote 0