A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Since there was just a post about the Ra being discontinued, perhaps the January announcement will be an EOS R3a. After all, stars move through space at incredible speeds, so a high frame rate astro camera makes sense.
Yeah an integrated grip body & 30fps makes lots of sense for astro

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
With a 24MP sensor (30MP OK too) and all the speed of the R3 but with the vertical grip being add-on not built in. All for $2000. I'd buy one.
No , I love the integrated grip and an R7 with this body and a 30-35mp bsi stacked aps-c sensor would be my dream camera. Basically same as the R3 and priced about the same as the R5 .
I'd buy one

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know what? If they could find away to leverage a touch pad shutter button to control AF point selection, I would be there for it.

As a left eye dominant shooter, the LCD touchscreen is basically worse than useless to me for AF selection because my nose is always interfering with the touch screen.
I’d love to try a touch pad shutter button as well, I think it could be great. But I’m guessing some fan boys will hate it before it even hits the shelves…

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
ha, jeah, I can indeed see the fanboys react to that:
Canon shows a new FF R camera for 800 USD.
Discussion: "It got no 4k120 and no double card slot! Canon fail *******!" :-D
Small potatoes. Those cameras have always existed for decades. We called them Canon Rebels. Very popular. Sold a gazillion. More than the popular M50. Nobody cares about what sensors they have.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
The EOS R5c will have active cooling which will annoy a lot of tradtionalist. Canon can not continue to depend on Atomos. That is not really a Canonlike approach. The Atomos collaboration in my opinion is a bridge platform.
Why would this upset anyone ?
The R5c would be video/cinema focused and adding a fan makes sense
Not my "Cup of Tea" , but wouldn't bother me

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
An R9 version of the R3 with a micro four thirds bsi stacked sensor of about 40-50mp and 60fps and 3 card slots all CF Express B but you can't record video to more than one at a time !
That would get the "Full frame is the only acceptable format" crowd frothing at the mouth !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0