A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

A few ideas: Influencer/Instagram oriented camera with Android and Instagram, twitch, Tiktok directly in camera.

Architecture/still life oriented camera that mounts to iPad Pro and ist optimized for the rumored tilt shift lens.

Colorful Kiss RF with minimal features, but cheap. With Hello Kitty Branding.

Headless (no display) camera for drones and WiFi Shooting with RF mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Oh, so something with good low light capabilities and a nice price point?

That was the first thought that sprang to mind for me, too. I can imagine a $500 bare-bones entry-level Rebel camera built on a 16Mp full-frame sensor at the cheapest 28nm technology node. Less resolution is the one thing guaranteed to annoy faanboiz.

They had some Rebel Kiss models, so to really get under a faanboiz skin this will be called the Rebel Feel, or the Rebel Frottage, or the Rebel Butt-Slap. To feature its image stabilization capabilities Andre Agassi will promote it by snoring heavily under a tropical beach umbrella with empty shot glasses at his side and a tennis magazine in his lap. He will suddenly be awakened from his drunken stupor by dramatic action that he photographically captures despite consistently fumbling, shaking hands. Tagline: "he never misses his shots."

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Good teasing anyway.

About APS-C, I think the Canon dilemma looks kind of :
- making a 7D ML successor while R5 is the only ML Canon camera to date that can do the same work. So an R7 would probably benefits more to some customers (lower priced fast camera with just the right specs for wildlife and sports), not much to the company (would just probably be lowering R5 sales).
- just keeping things as they are with only EOS M line as dedicated APS-C cameras targeted at people who wants to have a "carry everywhere" (and with more fun) system with still great IQ, keeping the users base OK with it and company probably more than OK with sales.

To my sense, Canon probably needs to analyze more precisely what would be the impact of providing an "R7" on future sales. In the past, many pros were having APS-C 80D/7D and FF 6D/5D/1D's as a duo or were not interested in FF at all (mainly because of prices) and were only owning a 7D, but maybe things have changed and this past situation can't be considered as a global market shape target anymore for a brand.

Nikon Z fc nowadays and future sales can also give some clues about how hobbyist customers expectations are evolving..
That plus the fact all the entry-level customers have mostly shipped to smartphones and a bit to EOS-M system...

Whatsoever, looks like fanboys are not even a point in those concerns..

Upvote 0

- just keeping things as they are with only EOS M line as dedicated APS-C cameras targeted at people who wants to have a "carry everywhere" (and with more fun) system with still great IQ, keeping the users base OK with it and company probably more than OK with sales.

So you think this ist an option at all? I 'd love to see more M bodies, especially small/cheap M bodies, but I somehow doubt we will see more than a few minor updates to make the disscontinuation of this system leess abrupt. Is there any indication the EOS M system is not dead?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So you think this ist an option at all? I 'd love to see more M bodies, especially small/cheap M bodies, but I somehow doubt we will see more than a few minor updates to make the disscontinuation of this system leess abrupt. Is there any indication the EOS M system is not dead?
It still seems to be selling well, so it isn't dead in the market.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Good teasing anyway.

- making a 7D ML successor while R5 is the only ML Canon camera to date that can do the same work. So an R7 would probably benefits more to some customers (lower priced fast camera with just the right specs for wildlife and sports), not much to the company (would just probably be lowering R5 sales).

To my sense, Canon probably needs to analyze more precisely what would be the impact of providing an "R7" on future sales. In the past, many pros were having APS-C 80D/7D and FF 6D/5D/1D's as a duo or were not interested in FF at all (mainly because of prices) and were only owning a 7D, but maybe things have changed and this past situation can't be considered as a global market shape target anymore for a brand.

Nikon Z fc nowadays and future sales can also give some clues about how hobbyist customers expectations are evolving..
That plus the fact all the entry-level customers have mostly shipped to smartphones and a bit to EOS-M system...

Whatsoever, looks like fanboys are not even a point in those concerns..
Well very few people can afford R5 or R3 cameras so if Canon doesn't give them more affordable options , Sony,Nikon and Fujifilm will be happy to sell them something .
Canon and all the other companies need to give the customers want they want if they want to maximise sales and the more affordable options will sell in much bigger numbers than the expensive cameras like R5s , R3s and A1s.
An R7 camera based on the R6 with a new aps-c sensor and priced similar to the R6 or a bit lower would cost very little to develop and far outsell the R5 which only the wealthiest enthusiasts can afford and it's not taking away sales of the R5 as these buyers simply won't buy the R5 anyway as it's more than what they're prepared to spend.
Really how many hobbyists will spend USD $3,900 on a camera body and then thousands more on lenses ?

It's pretty hard to make a living as a pro these days too and not many of them can afford to update their perfectly good DSLRs.

Toyota is happy to sell Corollas and doesn't worry about hurting it's Lexus sales.

Smartphones have taken the really budget market away but enthusiasts and some pros still want to buy the medium priced gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
There was a recent rumor about accessories being launched soon. The ER- accessories are straps, and of them —the ER-H— is intended for this new camera. The -H is for Hello Kitty, a strap for the new EOS R II that will be announced in January and available only in pink.
Hello Kitty Astro model of course.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It’s going to be the R5C… Canon is going to do exactly what Sony did with the A7S3 vs FX3… release the exact same camera but with a fan to deal with overheating. This will immediately piss off anyone that bought an R5 primarily for video. It will have better audio options and be a much better camera. Let’s hope they don’t lose the EVF like Sony did.

Upvote 0
Canon has a boatload of engineers and product management people trying to create "new paradigm" products. Think Powershot Zoom sort of thing. In a financial report more than a year ago, the CEO said this was a big priority. You'd start to see weird ideas coming out about now. Many of these would be annoying to fanboys - mostly because they would fail to meet very specific needs they deemed more important.

Here's my guess: a point-and-shoot camera that does R5-level eye tracking on a tiny 20mp sensor.

Upvote 0