Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

May 12, 2015
Hi,
There is a thread for price speculation here, in case it is of interest:
I think this will be a difficult one to predict. The Sony and Nikon flagships are rumored around 6500-7000USD. An R1 likely has to be competitive against these cameras. An R3 being much more like a Sony a9II with a battery grip (Sony a9III rumored to be on the way), 5000USD is likely about where the R3 would have to be priced at. I would be surprised at anything less and if it were it would tip me over the edge to getting it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Where as Wex and Park Cameras still £4300
This will be a very nice camera. I only wish it were 30mp. Glad I have plenty of time and a complete lack of resources. Makes the wait easier. :p
You can overheat all you want baby, 10 mins of anything from high-end Canon is like gold dust. fingers at the ready.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Pricing will be interesting. They keep saying it is NOT their flagship....but I think there is a chance it will be more expensive than the 1DXIII. The R1 I think has a chance to be $8k USD, which gives a lot of room between there and the R5 to slot this. Canon has been pushing pricing a lot (e.g. 20%, or sometimes more), so that is how you get a $6500 1DXIII up to an $8k R1. Could they then put the R3 at $6600? I think its at least possible.

I hope its more like $4k, but I think that makes it too close to the R5. SO I'm guessing the floor for pricing will be $4500. In my purely speculative math here, that's a range of probability between $4500 and $6700USD. All too much for me. But I'm still waiting with excitement to see what the final answer is.

Brian
To me this camera is very much in line with the Sony a9II and you can get a Sony a9II with battery grip for approx. $4500. So, if Canon at all thinks it needs to compete with Sony the price of the R3 should be about $5000 given it has some newer tech then the Sony (e.g., eye controlled AF). But, Canon may not care about Sony at all and price the R3 and $6000 or more. All I can say is, if the R3 is $6000 I will pass on this camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
With the chip shortage and high demand, I think canon will haven't hesitated a second to set the pricing on the high tiers.
I'd be leaning that way, as well. Close to $6k wouldn't surprise me, at all, especially after seeing lens prices raised recently. If priced too high, they can always come down if there is market resistance.

Upvote 0
They can launch all the want, its all about price.
Nikon - this is how you do PR,,,, One way good for Canon to announce a fast pro built mid res 1D MK 3, generating good PR and buzz excellently executed by Canon - get sales and trounce on their competitors P1 - Sony, past Nikon few years ago.,

Come on Nikon step up - get Z9, Z8 out of the door along with more Z lenses, expand their line, improve your PR and marketing to expand / improve on your user base.

Can't wait to see Canon's R3 and also Nikon Z9 being released shortly.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
To me this camera is very much in line with the Sony a9II and you can get a Sony a9II with battery grip for approx. $4500. So, if Canon at all thinks it needs to compete with Sony the price of the R3 should be about $5000 given it has some newer tech then the Sony (e.g., eye controlled AF). But, Canon may not care about Sony at all and price the R3 and $6000 or more. All I can say is, if the R3 is $6000 I will pass on this camera.
At $6k, I think you will find many that agree with you. At $5k, the R3 will be difficult to come by for some time, imo.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
At $6k, I think you will find many that agree with you. At $5k, the R3 will be difficult to come by for some time, imo.
I agree. Heck, Canon may price it at $6000 hoping it will sell at a pace it can handle; knowing it will not be able to produce many of these bodies over the next year or so. Then, after a year, when supply chains are hopefully in better shape, drop the price to ramp up sales. I don't really believe this is any kind of strategy Canon would employ, but...

Upvote 0