Gordon Laing from CameraLabs gives his first reviews of the new Canon gear, including the EOS R3

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Talking about video presentations, I personally don't like lengthy vids telling you the specs and interfaces, I can read that by myself. I am much more interested in those videos showing the performance of a new camera in real life - given they are made by photographers/videographers that have a reputation to be quite independent. But finally you have to find out by yourself anyway whether a new gear serves you better than the old one or not - somethimes by the hard way, when the camera or an AF drive dies while you are far away from any spot where you can get a repair or replacement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Talking about video presentations, I personally don't like lengthy vids telling you the specs and interfaces, I can read that by myself. I am much more interested in those videos showing the performance of a new camera in real life - given they are made by photographers/videographers that have a reputation to be quite independent. But finally you have to find out by yourself anyway whether a new gear serves you better than the old one or not - somethimes by the hard way, when the camera or an AF drive dies while you are far away from any spot where you can get a repair or replacement.
Gordon's part 2 review is much more along those lines - to be fair, he prefaces the part 1 by saying it's mainly about specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm most curious about whether the R3 can perform AF (not talking car or animal ID) any better than the R5 given that it is still dual pixel? I love the animal eye AF of my R5 but I'm not thrilled with the situations where the R5 can't AF as well as my 1DX2 did and I just wonder how folks expecting 1 level performance will be willing to accept the step backward on various occasions.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon used a 24 mpix sensor that Sony used 3 (!!) years ago in their A9.
Ehhhh….
Having the same resolution isn't the same as being the same sensor. Sony's a1 doesn't use the Canon 5Dsr sensor, just because they have the same megapixels count.

This is a Canon designed and manufactured sensor, nothing to do with Sony. If you really think differently: The A9 doesn't have Dual Pixel AF, the R3 has. Totally different architecture.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The one significant difference between R5 and 1DX mark iii is the use of focus point metering - did anything seen an indication that the R3 capable of focus point metering?
The R3 specs specifically state that AF point-linked spot metering is not provided. Apparently, Canon wanted to make it very clear that this is not a 1-series camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Having the same resolution isn't the same as being the same sensor. Sony's a1 doesn't use the Canon 5Dsr sensor, just because they have the same megapixels count.

This is a Canon designed and manufactured sensor, nothing to do with Sony. If you really think differently: The A9 doesn't have Dual Pixel AF, the R3 has. Totally different architecture.
Moreover, according to Canon Singapore's Launch event the R3 24.1 MP sensor out resolves the Canon 5D Mk4 30.4 MP sensor. I am guessing that this is due to improvements in the low-pass filters. Frankly, I am thrilled to have a camera whose sensor has high ISO performance and the resolution of the Canon 5D Mk4 sensor. I am also very glad to see that the R3 keeps 14 bit depth files at 30 fps.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The R3 specs specifically state that AF point-linked spot metering is not provided. Apparently, Canon wanted to make it very clear that this is not a 1-series camera.
I saw that as well. Would have like to have seen it linked, but for me that is a minor issue especially with mirrorless technology. You are correct that Canon seems to be reserving that feature for one series camera even though in the film days the EOS 3 had spot metering linked to the AF point.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0