A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

I’m curious, why a replacement collar? AFAIK, they’ve only done collars for a couple of Nikon lenses with poorly designed collars. I’ve been happy with my Canon lens collars. In addition to the included ones, I purchased the Canon collars for the 70-300L and the 100L macro. I do use the RRS replacement foot for my 600/4 II, but the collar itself is fine.

The RF collars do lack the detents at 90° intervals, is that the issue? I haven’t used the lenses on a tripod yet, may never do so with the 70-200/2.8, and the 100-500 might be used very rarely on a monopod. My main use for the collar is as an attachment point for my BlackRapid strap (connected to the lens plate with a Kirk 1” clamp LocTite’d to the strap lug).
Mainly to allow adding the Arca-Swiss mount to the foot without extra size/weight of a plate. With the 100-400 II it was a simple swap of the foot but with the 100-500 it is either add a plate or swap the entire collar/foot if that becomes available. I should state this is not necessarily for me but for work as I'm fine with a plate. Have a plate on my RF70-200 but have yet to use the 100-500 other than handheld. My user base will need to have the 100-500 on a tripod.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mainly to allow adding the Arca-Swiss mount to the foot without extra size/weight of a plate. With the 100-400 II it was a simple swap of the foot but with the 100-500 it is either add a plate or swap the entire collar/foot if that becomes available. I should state this is not necessarily for me but for work as I'm fine with a plate. Have a plate on my RF70-200 but have yet to use the 100-500 other than handheld. My user base will need to have the 100-500 on a tripod.
I hope they come through for you, but personally I doubt we’ll see replacement collars for RF lenses. The collars for the 100-500 and 70-200/2.8 are different (F III and E III, respectively), so RRS would need more than one design, whereas the feet on those collars are similar so I can see a market for a custom plate with the anti-twist pin. Actually, not much customization is needed at all – it would just need to be a longer version of the current B-26 plate with safety stops at both ends. Such a plate would work on the white RF lenses and on the RF 600/800 lenses as well (though a foot might be a better design choice for those, the plate would at least allow tripod mounting).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"As of March 2019 Sony has developed the IMX555cqr
Full Frame 102 Megapixel Sensor with 6K 12 bit video with pixel binning mode , along with a unique high-speed digital readout for 16bit stills.
Stills from the sensor are a mammoth 12288 x 8192 resolution. That’s 12K in video terms a super fast readout given the amount of data coming off the chip.
the sensor can do a 4096 x 2160 RGB 4:4:4 stream directly on-chip.
It’s speculated A75 or A9 stills camera using such a sensor will utilise this Cinema 4K mode as well as a 6K Video mode "

Or perhaps Canon can Licence this Sensor from Sony like Nikon and many other brands do
I don't think that Canon will release a new body that doesn't have dual pixel AF. That feature alone provides better video AF than the rest of the market although I agree that a R5s is more likely a stills focussed camera rather than video.

Upvote 0
A couple of weeks ago I was checking to see if there were dedicated plates for the RF 100-500 or 70-200/2.8, and I noticed that nearly everything seemed to be out of stock.

There wasn’t anything dedicated for my two new lenses, just the L-85 lens plate (backordered like most items, but since those lenses replace my EF 70-300L and 70-200/2.8 IS II that I recently sold, I already have the plates).

I plan to email RRS. Although they’re clearly having supply issues (and they don’t make anything containing microchips), and designing new products may not be an active area for them now, I think they should make plates for the RF lens collars. The two that I have both have the machined hole for the standard anti-twist pin (typically found on camcorders), which obviates the need for the anti-twist tabs that don’t fit as well on the more curved back of the tripod foot. The RRS B-26 plate I have for my camcorder fits perfectly, but it’s short and there’s only one safety stop available.
Semiconductors aren't the only supply issue at the moment. Aluminium prices have soared 50% this year which would impact RRS
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/b...nium-prices-have-soared-sky-high-7470071.html

Not to mention coal prices. China's decision last year to ban imports of Australian thermal coal for political reasons has bitten them badly and is one of the reasons for the lack of electricity generation capacity in China. China has a few problems at the moment especially with Evergrande's debt issues.

Upvote 0
I've heard that just raw aluminum and seat/pillow foam for sofas are in backlog on a worldwide scale.

I've heard from a few contacts that manufacturing companies in China have been ordered to limit their energy consumption because there's not enough electricity for all as the grids are overloaded from the factories trying to catch up with the demand after the covid down-turn.

One contact said that the companies he was working with, that were normally running 24x7, were told to go down to 2-3-4 days a week. It's the worst energy rationing in 20+ years, apparently.

I have no idea if this is limited to certain areas or a widespread issue across China.

The current problems does go to show how lean and hence vulnerable the global supply chains had become, simply because we got used to the extremely efficient global supply chain pre-covid. We simply didn't see this as a potential risk.
There is a widespread issue for power generation capacity in China due to peaking thermal and coking coal prices and generators in China would make a loss ie input costs high and not able to pass on the costs. Industrial consumers will need to be allowed to pay more. Big consumers like aluminium smelting are being paused as China's increasing need for residential heating especially in the north east provinces coming into winter. The CCP will do anything to avoid widespread consumer unrest but are a hostage to raw commodity prices.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...d-a-global-energy-crunch-20210929-p58vox.html
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09...-record-mining-steel-resources-jobs/100486198

Australia-China relations are at an all-time low but we are still a major exporter to them for raw materials. Petty import tariffs in some imports eg wine/lobsters haven't helped reduce the overall balance of trade in dollar terms. Iron ore prices have dropped a lot recently with China reducing demand but coal still represents ~60% of China's power generation. This will impact their GDP growth overall.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...ell-after-chinese-trade-restrictions/13090436

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
There is a widespread issue for power generation capacity in China due to peaking thermal and coking coal prices and generators in China would make a loss ie input costs high and not able to pass on the costs. Industrial consumers will need to be allowed to pay more. Big consumers like aluminium smelting are being paused as China's increasing need for residential heating especially in the north east provinces coming into winter. The CCP will do anything to avoid widespread consumer unrest but are a hostage to raw commodity prices.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...d-a-global-energy-crunch-20210929-p58vox.html
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09...-record-mining-steel-resources-jobs/100486198

Australia-China relations are at an all-time low but we are still a major exporter to them for raw materials. Petty import tariffs in some imports eg wine/lobsters haven't helped reduce the overall balance of trade in dollar terms. Iron ore prices have dropped a lot recently with China reducing demand but coal still represents ~60% of China's power generation. This will impact their GDP growth overall.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...ell-after-chinese-trade-restrictions/13090436
Breaking news that explains everything! [CR0 Rumor]

The Chinese people will be okay, their government has promised every household a Canon R5 camera, with instructions to run it continuously in 8K video mode to heat their houses. They will also supply a solar charger for the LP-E6NH batteries, to take the demand off the power grid and make these heating systems totally sustainable!

The real reason that Canon is experiencing a shortage of parts, and is delaying pre-orders, is because they're using everything they have to make this record number of R5 cameras for the Chinese population! This will immediately make Canon the most popular brand in the world, and in exchange, every recipient of a camera will be required to take a single stock photo of a particular subject as instructed, which they will email, back to Canon.

Canon will put these images on the Chinese 500px website to build the largest repository of stock photos ever, and completely monopolize that industry. This will compensate for the decrease in profits due to the decline in the global camera market, and increase Canon's annual earnings back to previous levels and higher.

With new record profits, Canon will finally be able to act on the wish lists they've compiled from all the photography forums over the years, and build THAT camera. Yes, you know the one, the 200MP global shutter, quad-pixel auto-focus camera with 22EV dynamic range, 120FPS electronic shutter burst mode with no rolling shutter, no noise at ISO 256,000, with four memory cards, an EVF with no lag that looks just like an OVF but with all the extra info, and auto-composition AI so the camera does absolutely everything. This new camera will also utilize a scaled-down NASA satellite radioisotope power system with a battery life of at least 17 years, for continuous shooting requirements and long time lapse videos. It will also come with a USB 4 port for connecting a USB power bank in case of emergencies, such as a breach of the casing around the plutonium-238 dioxide fuel core.

Having revolutionized the camera industry, there will be so much money that Canon will buy the Sony camera division, and retail their products as Canon's new budget line, even it it's at a considerable loss. This would be purely out of principle, to troll the Sony fanboys who published all the nasty comment about them on forums over the last decade or so. After that, the camera world will return back to peaceful, harmonious state once again.

Now, that's such a visionary corporate strategy, that I could not possibly just make it up, so it must be true! So, please be patient with your pre-orders, the people in China need to stay warm over winter first, and to make it up to you, Canon will finally build THE ultimate camera, and end forum debates forever! :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I think you misspelled Humor.;)

@Canon Rumors Guy maybe be need a new CH0-CH3 scale for CanonHumor.
No, but I think you may have, it's spelled humour [ hyoo-mer ] noun, verb, there's a second 'u' in there in the English language, it rhymes with the the word 'rumour' which has similar spelling lol! :ROFLMAO:

Are you really doubting my CR0 rumour??? How could you! I'm shocked! Even Greta Thunderbird is saying "how dare you!" What part of it doesn't sound credible? It's as legit, and based on equal evidence as most of the discussion speculation about unreleased cameras, lenses, their specifications, and assumptions about what Canon is thinking, or should be doing as a company. It's a little more credible than the 'cargo cult' wish list making, so it should fit right in. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, as they say... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bit of a grumpy old man post:

Granted I assume Canon knows why and how they do things,
But IMO it'd look much better if they were consistent when it comes to the consequences of the industry shortages
As it stands, they're saying:
Unreleased products - delayed because "problems"
Just released products - delayed because you all want one

It might have worked the first time someone did it, now it just looks like a futile attempt at creating hype and desirability.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Bit of a grumpy old man post:

Granted I assume Canon knows why and how they do things,
But IMO it'd look much better if they were consistent when it comes to the consequences of the industry shortages
As it stands, they're saying:
Unreleased products - delayed because "problems"
Just released products - delayed because you all want one

It might have worked the first time someone did it, now it just looks like a futile attempt at creating hype and desirability.
Ehm, Canon isn't saying anything about their unreleased products, CanonRumours is.

Upvote 0
Ehm, Canon isn't saying anything about their unreleased products, CanonRumours is.
Correct, I shouldn't have said "they're saying", but more like, they're implying with this product cancellation.

Fact is, they're following the trend of claiming that newly released products are out of stock because of high demand, which although not a lie (demand is indeed higher than what they can manufacture at the moment) is not what most people would call the truth either. I understand it is a way to try and turn an unfavourable situation into a marketing stunt, but is not a trick you can use more than once without it looking obvious.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Fact is, they're following the trend of claiming that newly released products are out of stock because of high demand, which although not a lie (demand is indeed higher than what they can manufacture at the moment) is not what most people would call the truth either. I understand it is a way to try and turn an unfavourable situation into a marketing stunt, but is not a trick you can use more than once without it looking obvious.
My pre-order for the 600/4 was delayed due to ‘high demand’. That was the EF MkII version, and there was no pandemic and no microchip shortage in 2012.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My pre-order for the 600/4 was delayed due to ‘high demand’. That was the EF MkII version, and there was no pandemic and no microchip shortage in 2012.
Absolutely, I'm not saying high demand cannot be the cause for delays.
Specially for more niche products with very high price tags that not a lot of retailers would want gathering dust on a shelf.
But this delays are affecting all sorts of products, of all levels and price ranges.

I'm talking about contorting the truth and instead of saying, "the demand is higher than our manufacturing capacity is at the moment due to X reason", saying "X product is out of stock because of high demand" sounds much better, and it is factual truth I'm not saying it isn't. But once you've seen Sony do it with the A1, Nikon with their just released consumer level lenses, etc, it simply sounds a bit lame at this point, because not all products are bestsellers they're just selling all the units of a decimated batch.

Upvote 0
No, but I think you may have, it's spelled humour [ hyoo-mer ] noun, verb, there's a second 'u' in there in the English language, it rhymes with the the word 'rumour' which has similar spelling lol! :ROFLMAO:
I'm sorry. I'm used to use Simplified English on this board which is mostly visited by The Colonials, vs Traditional English like the True Mainland British.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm sorry. I'm used to use Simplified English on this board which is mostly visited by The Colonials, vs Traditional English like the True Mainland British.
Complicated by the fact that @Canon Rumors Guy is Canadian.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
It's okay, you're forgiven, nobody's perfect! :)
Mind you, you probably don't want to mention colonialism too loudly, it's not too popular these days in the English-speaking countries! :oops:
Hope you realise this is all in jest...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0