Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

I was joking in case that didn't come across! Up to a point it's reasonable to have the camera assist with AF on certain hard-to-track subjects, but if it goes the direction of a lot of other silly marketing-driven spec war p*ssing contests we've seen in the camera world, we might start seeing the inclusion of AF for the stupidest things! Wouldn't be surprised if we see Food AF next! :)

Can totally appreciate that a motorcycle is much smaller than a car, and not much bigger than a person, and I'd imagine, if off-road, move much less predictably and change directions more readily than cars would.
Oh I got your joke. I should have left that "tongue-in-cheek" comment at the bottom in. Just wanted to point out that cars & bikes are different, and car most likely easier (from an overall perspective, but probably not when you want to focus on the helment inside the cage)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I would like BS detection that would automatically direct those posts to a junk folder.
That's not a firmware function, but a wetware function, otherwise known as the human brain, the 1.3-1.4 kg mass of approximately 86 billion odd neurons or thereabouts. ;) If trained in critical thinking, and used for that purpose it serves that function well! It's not only able to detect BS, but also serve as a very advanced system for acquiring a subject with a camera, and tracking it. Apparently it's an old evolutionary carry over from when humans had to hunt for their food. From what I've read, historically, back in the olden days, before eye AF, people used those photo-sensitive outgrowths from their brain, commonly referred to as 'eyes', to aim focus on their subjects. :ROFLMAO:

...but admittedly technology makes things easier and they probably did less impressive BIF photos way back then! :)

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Oh I got your joke. I should have left that "tongue-in-cheek" comment at the bottom in. Just wanted to point out that cars & bikes are different, and car most likely easier (from an overall perspective, but probably not when you want to focus on the helmet inside the cage)
How in the world do you get shots inside the cage of the car? Guessing its from the small space of open side windows, rather than through the windscreen by cutting through the glare and reflection with a CP filter?

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Doesn't work well at 20 PPS.
Probably more accurate to say "doesn't work AS well at 20FPS"
To keep things in perspective, National Geographic first started in 1888, and they've been photographing wildlife since it was first possible to photograph wildlife, right up to the present day. Computer asssitance in the form of human eye AF in cameras is fairly recent (first introduced by Sony in 2013?), animal AF even more recent, and it just makes it easier for people with less skill, or allows skilled people to take more technically challenging shots!
Hence my qualifier in the last sentence! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
What's wrong with mechanical shutter?
When I am 15 feet away from a belted kingfisher, sitting in my blind, the mechanical shutter makes too much noise. Also, many times the R5 will not maintain 12fps in mechanical shutter even when all the parameters are met to get 12fps. And I want 12fps with the R5 in mechanical shutter, because the VF behavior is such that tracking fast subjects is more difficult when shooting slower fps than the maximum So, in the end, what is wrong with having options for slower fps in ES?
Belted Kingfisher flight bathing IX 3000 sm.jpgBelted Kingfisher going into dive IX 3000 sm.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's not a firmware function, but a wetware function, otherwise known as the human brain, the 1.3-1.4 kg mass of approximately 86 billion odd neurons or thereabouts. ;) If trained in critical thinking, and used for that purpose it serves that function well! It's not only able to detect BS, but also serve as a very advanced system for acquiring a subject with a camera, and tracking it. Apparently it's an old evolutionary carry over from when humans had to hunt for their food. From what I've read, historically, back in the olden days, before eye AF, people used those photo-sensitive outgrowths from their brain, commonly referred to as 'eyes', to aim focus on their subjects. :ROFLMAO:

...but admittedly technology makes things easier and they probably did less impressive BIF photos way back then! :)
Your neurons might be odd but I prefer normal ones.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Probably more accurate to say "doesn't work AS well at 20FPS"
To keep things in perspective, National Geographic first started in 1888, and they've been photographing wildlife since it was first possible to photograph wildlife, right up to the present day. Computer asssitance in the form of human eye AF in cameras is fairly recent (first introduced by Sony in 2013?), animal AF even more recent, and it just makes it easier for people with less skill, or allows skilled people to take more technically challenging shots!
Hence my qualifier in the last sentence! :)
Your eyes aren't working well: he wrote 20 PPS, not FPS. It was probably at 20 pages per second = a joke.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
When I am 15 feet away from a belted kingfisher, sitting in my blind, the mechanical shutter makes too much noise. Also, many times the R5 will not maintain 12fps in mechanical shutter even when all the parameters are met to get 12fps. And I want 12fps with the R5 in mechanical shutter, because the VF behavior is such that tracking fast subjects is more difficult when shooting slower fps than the maximum So, in the end, what is wrong with having options for slower fps in ES?
View attachment 201250View attachment 201251
Okay, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Kind of jealous of anyone who has access to Kingfishers. Hard to come by around here, especially hard to get within 15 ft. of one.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2012
Spot metering tied to focus point would be a godsend for shooting a subject in front of a bright background with flash. Think of a portrait at sunset. All you see currently through the EVF is a silhouette because the auto-exposed preview when using flash just balances for the overall scene. Impossible to see your subject’s expression. It’s even more annoying in a candid situation where you need to time your shots like reception toasts in front of a bright window. You can use spot metering but it only helps if you compose with the subject dead center of the frame.
I thought I was the only one with this problem, most people don't even seem to understand this one! This was my workaround with Sony A9, would be even better if you could just lock your EVF exposure. "Exposure simulation off lock"

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Vehicle AF? An average car is around 5m (15 feet) long, Isn't that like like Side-of-a-Barn AF??? ;)

I'm waiting for Canon to add Snail AF. They're very hard to track, especially when doing SIF (snail-in-flight) photos, when you toss them over the fence into your neighbour's yard. Being round and heavy, they fly like stones though the air, very fast! Ever wondered why you never see photos of airborne molluscs? Simple answer, no Snail AF! :ROFLMAO:

Brick Wall AF would be very useful too, since they're one of the most often photographed subjects on some forums, and there are many photo enthusiasts that photograph nothing else. Understandably, the photos in this genre tell a powerful story, the pathos they convey is emotionally moving, and the cutting social commentary they provide is incomparable! But this magic only happens when the photographer can achieve a very precise focus, it's a critical and integral element of the art form. :LOL:

(tongue-in-cheek for the overly serious types!)
I just blame crappy distortion on the brick maker and brick layer.

On the subject of specialized AF, I'd imagine that purchasers of the new VR lens will have the option of "unlocking" some taboo modes.

• Haha
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I just blame crappy distortion on the brick maker and brick layer.

On the subject of specialized AF, I'd imagine that purchasers of the new VR lens will have the option of "unlocking" some taboo modes.

Vehicle AF? An average car is around 5m (15 feet) long, Isn't that like like Side-of-a-Barn AF??? ;)

I'm waiting for Canon to add Snail AF. They're very hard to track, especially when doing SIF (snail-in-flight) photos, when you toss them over the fence into your neighbour's yard. Being round and heavy, they fly like stones though the air, very fast! Ever wondered why you never see photos of airborne molluscs? Simple answer, no Snail AF! :ROFLMAO:

Brick Wall AF would be very useful too, since they're one of the most often photographed subjects on some forums, and there are many photo enthusiasts that photograph nothing else. Understandably, the photos in this genre tell a powerful story, the pathos they convey is emotionally moving, and the cutting social commentary they provide is incomparable! But this magic only happens when the photographer can achieve a very precise focus, it's a critical and integral element of the art form. :LOL:

(tongue-in-cheek for the overly serious types!)
Vehicle = race car in a in a race, motorcycle etc

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I thought I was the only one with this problem, most people don't even seem to understand this one! This was my workaround with Sony A9, would be even better if you could just lock your EVF exposure. "Exposure simulation off lock"
I think you can do exactly that. In addition to AE Lock, the R5 and many older dSLR's offer "AE Lock with Hold." You don't have to keep mashing AE Lock while composing. VERY handy when using Av.

You can access the option under the camera's button customization menu. The symbol is *H. It is mentioned VERY briefly in the EOS R5 AUG on page 826. Details are offered by Canon at this link:

Personally, I've transitioned to Manual mode for shooting situations where I need to hold Exposure (say when background light changes, but subject's lighting changes very little), but I still like Av for situations where my lighting on the subject changes rapidly. I mostly use Spot Metering, but the apparent exposure in the EVF plus the Histogram in the EVF have removed all the guess work that sometimes failed me on the 5DIV.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think you can do exactly that. In addition to AE Lock, the R5 and many older dSLR's offer "AE Lock with Hold." You don't have to keep mashing AE Lock while composing. VERY handy when using Av.

You can access the option under the camera's button customization menu. The symbol is *H. It is mentioned VERY briefly in the EOS R5 AUG on page 826. Details are offered by Canon at this link:

Personally, I've transitioned to Manual mode for shooting situations where I need to hold Exposure (say when background light changes, but subject's lighting changes very little), but I still like Av for situations where my lighting on the subject changes rapidly. I mostly use Spot Metering, but the apparent exposure in the EVF plus the Histogram in the EVF have removed all the guess work that sometimes failed me on the 5DIV.
Thanks, YeungLinger, for this post! I wasn't aware of the "Hold" option in Exposure lock. It sounds perfect for my use and I'll start using it right away.

I've updated my buttons to this, and really like the feel of it:
AF-ON button -> metering & AF start (I have single spot metering selected for this)
* button -> eye detection AF. Note: I like this function closer to the AF-ON button (spot AF) to choose between the two frequently
AF point button -> (toggle) AE Lock & hold (the metering lock stays locked until toggled off here or camera turned off - yay!)
Shutter button -> half press metering start

Last edited:
Upvote 0