Canon Applies to Patent Drone Gimbal

It was about five years ago that Canon’s first camera drone efforts came to light with the PD6E2000-AW-CJ1. The >$20,000 drone appeared to be targeted to the security market rather than professional (nevermind consumer) photographers.  And then the product – really a drone made by Prodrone, one of Canon’s side investments – quietly disappeared.
Now we see from a patent application that Canon continues to work on the underlying systems technology, this one involving a gimbal for a small camera on a quadcopter that allows for two-axis freedom of movement while maintaining electronic connections. This invention is scaled to serve a consumer-level camera, such as those small-sensor cameras already used on most drones.
The patent’s inventor, Shinji Obana, has been responsible for...

Continue reading...

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Editors: They didn’t “patent” anything any more than one who makes the Olympic team should be reported as having won a gold medal. There’s a big differemce between a published application and a granted patent. Massive.

As a professional patent attorney (and patented inventor in the camera space) with decades of optics expertise I’m on call at no charge to help avoid making these embarrassing but common journalistic blunders.

If you can’t link a patent, it ain’t patented.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Editors: They didn’t “patent” anything any more than one who makes the Olympic team should be reported as having won a gold medal. There’s a big differemce between a published application and a granted patent. Massive.
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 10.27.35 PM.png

We get it, and you're right. But the point is these published applications show areas in which Canon is working (or seeking to prevent others from working). That's the take home message and the relevant subject for discussion. What claims are ultimately granted, if any, are basically irrelevant as far as this forum goes...much like your repeated corrections to these sorts of threads.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

As a professional patent attorney (and patented inventor in the camera space) with decades of optics expertise I’m on call at no charge to help avoid making these embarrassing but common journalistic blunders.

Ack, you're right. I see this usage mistake made frequently, and I perpetrated it myself. I actually married a patent attorney too. Fixed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I'm just thinking how Canon would cripple a drone? :unsure:
Would they limit flight range or flight time in firmware? An 'overheat' timer perhaps?
Maybe just restrict the video output artificially???
When the only tool you have is a Canon cripple hammer, every photo and video product looks like a nail that needs market segmentation! :oops:

Upvote 0

Every year, Canon issues a press release bragging about the number of new patents that they have, so they know how to get a patent approved.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I'm just thinking how Canon would cripple a drone? :unsure:
Would they limit flight range or flight time in firmware? An 'overheat' timer perhaps?
Maybe just restrict the video output artificially???
When the only tool you have is a Canon cripple hammer, every photo and video product looks like a nail that needs market segmentation! :oops:
Maybe the drone could be crippled by a very light battery, thus giving minimal run time. Oh wait that’s been done before...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0