Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Your inability to see the use-case and market doesn't mean there isn't one, it just means your world is small. Sport and wildlife aren't the only kinds of photography, and photography isn't the only use for a camera.
Yes, Actually there are more UAS/drones flying, travel photogs, and content creators using small cameras and using compact gimbals than sports photographers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
If I misunderstood your words I apologize, but you may understand that your statements might be misinterpreted.

In any case I am just saddened that my favorite system is on its deathbed and I don't really see how an RF-S system can replace it. Maybe it really is time to leave ILC systems for family/travel photography behind and fully embrace the next generation of smartphones. The convinience might be worth the image quality tradeoff.
Or you could continue to use your M camera and lenses for another 5 years or more. Or you could buy a new M50 II or an M6 II now and use them for another 7 or 8 years plus. Cameras and lenses still work even if the RUMORED demise of the M system does happen. And 7 or 8 plus years down the road, none of us know what cameras will be available.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Someone said there won't be any RF-S lenses... Ooops...
I certainly said that there didn't need to be any RFs lenses as EF-s lenses fill the gap nicely for a high end R7 or perhaps one decent quality wide angle was needed.
RFs means that Canon is supporting a 5th lens mount which does seem like a lot to manage.
EF-s lenses will still be needed as Rebel DLSRs are still being sold in quantity.
We are assuming that RFs lenses will not mean a different mechanical mount like EF-s ie the R mount will automatically shift to crop mode like is the case for adapted EF-s lenses
I do note that CRguy hasn't updated the RF lens roadmap for some reason. I assume if it is CR3 then they should be there
https://www.canonrumors.com/this-is-the-canon-rf-lens-roadmap/

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Size, weight, and gimbal calibration is a major consideration. The lens by itself doesn't function alone. In order to replace an M50 or the M6 there is a much to wait and see before a conclusion can be made.
RF-S is most likely is the replacement for EF-S platform, while the M-mount is a whole separate system altogether, and I don't think we can infer anything about the latter from these news.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
True excitement for those who have yet to join the forum.
I wonder how much true excitement there is for the release of an R10 and RF-S 18-45mm kit lens with the members here. How many forum members will pre-order because they just have to have it.:unsure:
Why would interest only be associated with making more purchase, are we hopelessly addicted consumers lol! :LOL:

What's interesting is that the whole range of Canon crop sensor lenses may potentially be upgraded to something better than what was available before, if they do what they generally did with EF glass (lighter/smaller, better IQ). This would be exciting for people starting out in photography on a crop sensor Canon body.

Upvote 0
I certainly said that there didn't need to be any RFs lenses as EF-s lenses fill the gap nicely for a high end R7 or perhaps one decent quality wide angle was needed.
RFs means that Canon is supporting a 5th lens mount which does seem like a lot to manage.
EF-s lenses will still be needed as Rebel DLSRs are still being sold in quantity.
We are assuming that RFs lenses will not mean a different mechanical mount like EF-s ie the R mount will automatically shift to crop mode like is the case for adapted EF-s lenses
I do note that CRguy hasn't updated the RF lens roadmap for some reason. I assume if it is CR3 then they should be there
https://www.canonrumors.com/this-is-the-canon-rf-lens-roadmap/
I was gonna say - assuming they're RF lenses with APS-C image circle, it's not strictly speaking an extra mount.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I was gonna say - assuming they're RF lenses with APS-C image circle, it's not strictly speaking an extra mount.
Yep. There’s no reason for RF-S to be a different mount like there was with EF-S. But RF-s would be a good product designation for crop image circle lenses. Those of us who have used Canon DSLRs will get the meaning immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

pedroesteban

CR Pro
Apr 12, 2012
Yep. There’s no reason for RF-S to be a different mount like there was with EF-S. But RF-s would be a good product designation for crop image circle lenses. Those of us who have used Canon DSLRs will get the meaning immediately.
7D mkii.jpgeosr7mock.png

If this mockup is correct and the R7 has an APS-C sensor, looks like the the RF-S mount is smaller than the RF mount.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I agree; M will never be understood by DSLR users or anyone who has not used it. Range finder crew, hip shooters, and street photographers belong to a different tribe! I read someone wanted to replace it with a cellphone or suggested M6mii's 32MP sensor becoming the new 18MP?! All these comments tell me they have overlooked the small body. 11-22, 22F2, 32F1.4,` and even somewhat 55-200 all are great glass offering unique capabilities. M line never gave any superzoom or extreme focus performance perhaps because the physics don't fit. Fuji X has offered a 100-400 but that's heavier than RF 100-400. I see canon is going after a smilar approach of smaller and cost effective in R line. What surprizes me: Canon never appreciated the considerable revenue they got through the M line. They took the money but never respected the customers as they should have had. I want to keep my M system; I may go to R line or Z line but not for APSC; I may get an optimized full frame system instead.
It took seeing one for me to understand. Now I have one, and its great for a small package, highly portable camera. The lens line up gets a lot of guff, but for what it is you don't want a hundred different lenses. A few small pocketable offerings are what this was designed for, and they have everything you need in the lineup. Some never got updates, but honestly I think that people like me who are more hardcore DSLR/MILC users make up a small fraction of the M users. Most are probably upgrading from a phone to a smaller camera, and those types of users aren't likely the type to know or even care if an optically better upgrade for an M camera came out. Canon is managing the lineup for the primary customer base. And its been doing great.

I'll be sad to see it go if it does. As I don't think they'll be able to full recreate it in the RF line. I don't see the bodies or the lenses getting quite as small.

Brian

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0