A new rumor suggest that the Canon EOS R will be replaced by a Canon EOS R8 [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
R7 being APSC and R8 being FF doesn't make a whole lot of sense...
The whole Canon numbering system doesn't make sense, it's "lower is better", R5 vs R6, unless you're in a range, then "higher is better", e.g. 70D, 80D, 90D. Unless you notice the 77D, then you'll need to know the introduction dates to figure it out.

My guess is that all single digit models get IBIS and enough buttons to easily mess up your exposure, the double digit models won't get IBIS and slightly fewer buttons to mess up your exposure and the triple digit models will lack an EVF, won't have IBIS and have the bare minimum of buttons and dials.

With that in mind, the R8 number makes more sense. But still, the rumoured specs read like wishful thinking, I'm not going to expect them to be close to the actual specs.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
To be honest, I always felt there was a missing link between the R5 and the R6.
Despite the nomenclature, I'd rather perceive the R6 as an "R7" (not the APS/C model !).
The feature's gap is simply too wide between R5 and R6.
I agree, but Canon really wanted the mirrorless 90D to be the R7 and the mirrorless 5D(s) the R5. Which doesn't leave much room for what to call the R6.
I wonder how a gripless R3 would sell: R5 body, R3 sensor, R3 EVF and call it the R4 (ignoring supposed cultural issues with the number 4). Then make the R6II move closer to what the original 6D was, a very cheap FF body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Could this be the rumored R6II? As others have pointed out, it seems to outspec the R6 in too many ways to be a lower model, unless also introduced with an R6II that improves that line.

But my guess is this is just a fanboy wish list rumor, like those Nikon body rumors a week or so ago. Just what some guy wishes they'd make and a price point they wish those specs could sell at.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon won't put a ff milc body under R7... its highly unlikely and doesn't make sense at all! Imo either we r going to see R ii or it will be discontinued and the base model in the lineup will be R6. Just like DSLRs 6D, 5D, 5DsR, Eos 1 etc. We are still waiting for two bodies which pros need (R1 and a high mp camera body) and with these bodies I think that the entire line will be complete!

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
When the R came out in Oct 2018 for $2299 it was specced as a mirrorless 5D IV (that came out Aug 2016) and priced a bit lower than the 5D market price to entice new mount adoption. In that sense, the R replacement is actually the R5.

Given that the R is now priced at $1600 new, it is quite a compelling choice as a full frame first serious camera.

As an odd duck out of the now Rx nomenclature line-up, it would make more sense for Canon to just keep selling it without a refresh and lower price as accordingly with time. No additional development cost needed and they can just keep milking it till it doesn't make sense from production cost perspective.

Or, unlikely, but if they do refresh, keep things mostly the same, replace the slider with wheel and update to digic X, but that will limit the price hike for the "new" product that can be commanded due to R6 slowly coming down in price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Canon really needs an RP replacement...its such an easy camera to refresh and stick back on the $1299 bracket.
Upgrading the digic 8 to digic X is a no-brainer, but which sensor would get used? For that price point it will most likely be an existing sensor that is cheap to produce.
The 5D4/R sensor seems to be the only that fits that description, the 1Dx3/R6 sensor is, I think, too expensive.

Upvote 0
My guess is that all single digit models get IBIS and enough buttons to easily mess up your exposure, the double digit models won't get IBIS and slightly fewer buttons to mess up your exposure and the triple digit models will lack an EVF, won't have IBIS and have the bare minimum of buttons and dials.
Well, the R5c doesn't have IBIS

Upvote 0
Canon won't put a ff milc body under R7... its highly unlikely and doesn't make sense at all! Imo either we r going to see R ii or it will be discontinued and the base model in the lineup will be R6. Just like DSLRs 6D, 5D, 5DsR, Eos 1 etc. We are still waiting for two bodies which pros need (R1 and a high mp camera body) and with these bodies I think that the entire line will be complete!
I hope that they do put a ff body under R7 to replace the RP. I would like a backup body to my R5 where I don't need to have a separate RFs (or adapted EFs) wide angle lens.

Upvote 0
Upgrading the digic 8 to digic X is a no-brainer, but which sensor would get used? For that price point it will most likely be an existing sensor that is cheap to produce.
The 5D4/R sensor seems to be the only that fits that description, the 1Dx3/R6 sensor is, I think, too expensive.
Yes, a replacement RP having the 5Div sensor would be good.
Makes sense to me and adding the digic X may increase the AF/frame rate if the sensor can handle it with single SD card slot.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
any camera named higher than 6 or R6 should be APSC otherwise it'll confuse all.
I think the only ones confused would be forum geeks. Most people don’t pay any attention to the numbering conventions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why does Canon need an R replacement? The R was not a replacement for anything. It was a prototype camera to work out the bugs in Canon's mirrorless dreams, and try to hold on to the masses defecting to Sony. The R has sort of stuck around, just because it's a tremendous all around value for the feature set. It was a bit overbuilt for the price point it has settled at, especially once the "serious" 'togs all got R5's. Unless they're serious-ish video shooters or wedding photographers, in which case the R6, although that sensor wasn't for everyone. And the RP remains a pretty solid choice, $1300 with a kit lens. I could see the RP getting a little features bump to keep it competitive next year. Especially with an updated RP, hard to see why Canon would need anything else under $2k.

R8 would only make sense at the same price point as the R6, just swap out higher end video features for a higher resolution sensor. It's probably tough to do something much more than the R without cannibalizing R5 sales, which from what I understand, are still quite strong. If they just add IBIS to the R, use the R6's body/ergonomics, and recycle that great 5DIV sensor for another generation, at a $2500 launch price, settling in at $2k in a year, who would complain?

Upvote 0
They seem to consider the RP below the R7, but that is an old camera.
I think R and Rp was a fast move from Canon to enter to milc market as it was late to the party. Now I cannot find a good reason to upgrade these models but maybe I'm wrong. I can see Canon will keep using the same numeric scheme as they did with DSLRs.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
In a shrinking market I don't see a place for multiple similar cameras.
Then design a R6 Mark II with a newer sensor - or drop the price of the old R6, but don't create more product lines than ever before.
A R3 model is a not used number in whole DSLR years, and now we should have a R8 for R and R9 for RP also? No no no...

Upvote 0