Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
If you are a "birds in flight nutter" then maybe the R7 is not the best for you, though it is pretty good, but if you are mainly perched birds the the R7 is remarkable. I wouldn't swap my R5 for a 24 Mpx R6 II for BIF as the R5 has unerring AF and the extra pixels mean I can use a shorter, lighter lens for the fast erratic flying critters.
Yep, I'd love an R5 or even an R3 but they're far beyond my budget so I'll probably wind up buying an R7 as it's still a vast improvement over my 7Dii, but I own an old EF400mm (non IS) f/2.8 plus 1.4x and 2x extenders (which I've tried out with an R7 and even the 2x works great) so the lower resolution of an R6ii isn't too much of a problem for me if I can afford one as the low light performance is also a big drawcard for me as I love to shoot in very low light when I can

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Yep, I'd love an R5 or even an R3 but they're far beyond my budget so I'll probably wind up buying an R7 as it's still a vast improvement over my 7Dii, but I own an old EF400mm (non IS) f/2.8 plus 1.4x and 2x extenders (which I've tried out with an R7 and even the 2x works great) so the lower resolution of an R6ii isn't too much of a problem for me if I can afford one as the low light performance is also a big drawcard for me as I love to shoot in very low light when I can
I’ve just posted in the bird portraits thread shots of a small bird taken with the R7 and RF100-400mm and the R5 and RF 100-500mm, and the cheap light combo is just as good. I really liked the crisp images from the R6 but the 2x more resolution from the R7 was more important for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
The idea that Canon has a bunch of extra sensors just sitting around waiting to be put into new camera models is pure bonkers.
Canon has tons of 20-24MP sensors. They will continue to put them into less expensive models. You see jumps now to 85MP and some 100's and or 102'S

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The idea that Canon has a bunch of extra sensors just sitting around waiting to be put into new camera models is pure bonkers.
There's also a chance that Canon actually planned ahead and produced enough stock of various sensors to use in upcoming cameras. We don't know if the sensor is the bottleneck in making a camera body and we also don't know the production schedule of the sensors.

I would also like to know if the scarcity of virtually all new Canon launches is purely supply chain issues or Canon trying to play it safe and picking the low end of sales projections to drive production. It does make deciding which thing to select for a second production run much easier, everything is sold out, so pick the one with the largest margin :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So this is just the R6 with 4 megapixel extra and some 4K crop thingy?
Haha, Canon needs to fix the shutter issues on this thing and make a global shutter.
Because in artificial light, led, beamers, this camera goes completely crazy.
Also adjusting the flash power in TTL is absolute horror. No quick dial button.
And switching from eye AF to spot AF is a misery. Does Canon consult users before bringing this product to the market? These things are so essential. Are Ambassadors critical enough these days?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Haha, Canon needs to fix the shutter issues on this thing and make a global shutter.
And switching from eye AF to spot AF is a misery. Does Canon consult users before bringing this product to the market? These things are so essential. Are Ambassadors critical enough these days?
On the R5, to switch between eye AF and spot AF you can just assign each to its own back buttons. That's what I do, and what I rely on to take almost all of my shots. I find it works just great. Can you do the same on the R6?

• Love
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 7, 2020
It's called mechanical shutter & anti-flicker. Use it. If you are shooting video and complaining about that, these issues are longstanding across multiple models and companies with regards to these cameras. I have shot plenty of video on my R5, and had no issue. Don't shoot video on the R6 so I won't comment as much on it.

And you can assign eye AF to AF-On and that way your spot is always up.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
On the R5, to switch between eye AF and spot AF you can just assign each to its own back buttons. That's what I do, and what I rely on to take almost all of my shots. I find it works just great. Can you do the same on the R6?
I did the same with the R6 and R7. I find it quite remarkable how people will condemn a camera because they think it‘s difficult to do something or there is a missing feature, and the simple fact is they haven’t read the manual. Also, if they bothered to ask Instead of complaining there are many of us who will share what we know.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015

will wait it out for RPii / R9

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
I did the same with the R6 and R7. I find it quite remarkable how people will condemn a camera because they think it‘s difficult to do something or there is a missing feature, and the simple fact is they haven’t read the manual. Also, if they bothered to ask Instead of complaining there are many of us who will share what we know
RTFM is a bit much to ask most devolved hominids in the 'Headline Age'.

Upvote 0
Do people change mode a lot? Genuine question.
Yes. I have camera function to 1) one shot AV and ISO100, other custom modes are mammal oriented TV and bird oriented TV. For video I use Custom 3 as 120p, custom 2 as HQ 4k and custom 1 as canon log. It eliminates the menu dives.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
amazing AF doesn't equate with 80% keepers. If its that great, shouldn't it be at least 90%
Is the R6 AF the same as the R5?

The R5's eye-AF for people shots is uncanny including in low light indoor lighting with fast/erratic moving (sparring) competitors.

I am not a bird shooter but recently did a puffin (fast buggers!) shoot for 3 hours in Iceland. I didn't get 80 or 90% keeper but got >500 critically or acceptably sharp shots to play with. More than enough to be very happy even with a lot of cropping. Definitely some spray and pray involved but it was amazing how the animal-AF locked on without adjusting from standard AF settings.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
You only think of it being backwards looking at the megapixel spec. Try shooting with R6 with fast glass and editing the files.

I went from a 5D II and was hesitant about giving up OVF, but once I tried the R6, firstly the AF just blew me away. Keeper rates at f1.2 on fast moving subjects went from a prayer for luck to about 80%+ (in servo AF no less) with hardly any effort, and my goodness the amount you can push that file in the shadows and highlights is night and day.

Once you experience it, that 4mp difference will be the last thing on your mind.
Funny enough I only use 3 lenses, all Zeiss ZE, so I never really thought about AF. I just like the idea of a lighter body, detailed EVF that's good for MF and all the other tech. I guess I'd need to reconsider lenses too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Funny enough I only use 3 lenses, all Zeiss ZE, so I never really thought about AF. I just like the idea of a lighter body, detailed EVF that's good for MF and all the other tech. I guess I'd need to reconsider lenses too.
Love
My Zeiss glass although I admit Canon has come a long way with the RF line. The 15-35 is as good/maybe better as my 15mm Zeiss prime.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
I do really like manual focus aids like focus peaking and little focus arrows provided on the R series. In my opinion they are superior to the split prisms of yesteryear.

If you want to explore the AF side on fast glass, I would recommend renting RF L or buying EF L with USM and adapting to start out with as RF L primes cost more than just a pretty penny.
The non L lens STM motor lenses do not focus as fast but are good for video focus racking if thst is important to you.

Upvote 0