Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Regarding the top screen, the R6 is faster than the R5 to go from mode to mode. It's one click on the big knob, while on the R5 you have to press MODE, then twist. Milleseconds actually count when you're shooting a sparkler exit and need to go from C1 (set for Av & Auto ISO) to M where you're brining the light.
I use the M.Fn button to switch modes on my R3, as I did on my 1D X. That’s possible on the R5, too. It doesn’t get much faster than pressing the little button right next to the shutter release, it’s definitely faster than reaching up to twist that big dial. I don’t think it’s possible to assign mode switching to a button press on a camera with a labeled mode dial.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
You only think of it being backwards looking at the megapixel spec. Try shooting with R6 with fast glass and editing the files.

I went from a 5D II and was hesitant about giving up OVF, but once I tried the R6, firstly the AF just blew me away. Keeper rates at f1.2 on fast moving subjects went from a prayer for luck to about 80%+ (in servo AF no less) with hardly any effort, and my goodness the amount you can push that file in the shadows and highlights is night and day.

Once you experience it, that 4mp difference will be the last thing on your mind.
amazing AF doesn't equate with 80% keepers. If its that great, shouldn't it be at least 90%

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Do people change mode a lot? Genuine question.
I don't know about other people, but I rarely change modes. I am obviously not an expert in using the customized settings, as I have found them confusing to use and gave up. As a result I may sometimes "use" the top LCD since it's there, but it's more of a waste of space for me since that area could be better used by other things, and its usage could be embedded within the menu system.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
[CR3] here makes the rumoured R8 specs being dead or maybe just another prototype variation of an R6 II.

And the step forward is quite small, as already mentioned.
The R6 is an excellent camera, not sure that within its "range" there is a lot to improve. Not sure about the concept of "digital teleconverter".

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
I use the M.Fn button to switch modes on my R3, as I did on my 1D X. That’s possible on the R5, too. It doesn’t get much faster than pressing the little button right next to the shutter release, it’s definitely faster than reaching up to twist that big dial. I don’t think it’s possible to assign mode switching to a button press on a camera with a labeled mode dial.
You can't assign mode switching to a button on the R6 and R7.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 5, 2020
All these specs and the inside information person writes 24mp CMOS Sensor. Omitting the obvious important word "stacked"? An educated guess would be that its not the stacked sensor from the R3 at all. Nobody would forget to accertain that bit of all important information unless they've been living under a technology rock. A plain basic "CMOS Sensor"? Heck at least minimum mid tier devices released at this time should be BSI CMOS. Canon said that they would be rolling out the stacked sensors. Well, rumors stating "CMOS sensor" does very little to confirm that notion has come into reality. And no, resolution numbers prove nada.
Apart from the 24mp sensor in the R3, there does not seem to be any other modern FF 24mp sensor currently being produced. If so, which is more likely: Canon start another modern 24mp sensor production line for an upgraded camera, or use the R3 sensor which is currently being manufactured? I do not know the answer as it would surely depend on, amongst other things, which is more cost effective or what their long-term plans are. I would hazard a guess that it would be more convenient to use the R3 sensor, and bump the price of the R6II closer to $3k.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Do people change mode a lot? Genuine question.
It's very useful for bird photography when you have to be quick at changing settings. On my R5, C1 is for perched birds with preset iso, wide open aperture and auto shutter speed at H+ in EFCS. C2 is for BIF at 1/3200s and ES at 20 fps, C3 is for low light perched birds, and the next click goes into FV for manual settings. On the R7, C1 is for perched birds with low speed ES, C2 for BIF at 30 fps in ES and 1/3200, C3 is 1/3200 and high fps mechanical shutter to avoid rolling shutter.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Hopefully the R6II will have a BSI 24MP sensor, which would make it a great camera at that form factor & price point.

Now, (yawn), are they ever going to come out with a R5 II? Geez...
They will make R5 mark 2 one day, not so far away, but the R6 and R5 are as excellent as they are right not, not sure why the need to make the mark-2 came out so soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
amazing AF doesn't equate with 80% keepers. If its that great, shouldn't it be at least 90%
What is the logical reason for "at least 90%"? I can understand "100%" being the hallmark of amazing and being an absolute value, but anything below that is purely subjective and depends on what the subjects are. For example, for a lazy heron drifting across the sky, I would get close to 100% keepers with just about every DSLR I have used, but for some subjects just a few keepers would be amazing, like a hunting dragonfly or swallow in flight.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Please note that I qualified the statement with razor thin DOF of f1.2 on fast moving subjects. Think kids, pets, etc. On 5D II's antiquated 9 point af that is basically spray and pray, and MAYBE you can get one to two out of 10.

If you don't shoot such demanding subjects and have no need for it, then certainly do not get it. But it sounds like you have not had the pleasure to try it yet, which comes highly recommended.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I'm happy to see a new version of the R6, but no idea what to think of this :) Maybe form factor of the R5 with the screen on top, better EVF, bigger screen, slight bump in megapixels.... might still be ok, but why not the 30mp sensor then...
Canon will get you to buy the 30MP ver. in 8 months after you buy the 24MP ver. Save your money, wait! Canon will run out of these cheap sensors soon. Then you'll get more value.

Upvote 0
If it has R7-like buttons/controls, Video-Photo-OFF-Switch with two separated custom banks, R7-AF and auto leveling it might be a sure buy instead of a 2nd R7:
100-400 (160-640) on the R7 and 16-36 on the R6 ii would be great for me - swapping the lenses would give a narrower range with a smaller gap like 26-55 equiv + 100-400 and 1-2 extra stops for the tele.

Upvote 0
As someone about to upgrade from Rp to R6 within the next 6-8 weeks… I have no idea what to do
I stumbled soon over a feature in the R7 called auto level - it rotates the sensor by use of the IBIS actors to bring it into a horizontal position (+/- 3° or so) and it is absolutely stunning. No longer checking the markers of the level display and no level display in the viewfinder. For me it would make a difference because it avoids one of my most prominent "errors".

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Save your money, wait! Canon will run out of these cheap sensors soon...
The idea that Canon has a bunch of extra sensors just sitting around waiting to be put into new camera models is pure bonkers.

Upvote 0
It's very useful for bird photography when you have to be quick at changing settings. On my R5, C1 is for perched birds with preset iso, wide open aperture and auto shutter speed at H+ in EFCS. C2 is for BIF at 1/3200s and ES at 20 fps, C3 is for low light perched birds, and the next click goes into FV for manual settings. On the R7, C1 is for perched birds with low speed ES, C2 for BIF at 30 fps in ES and 1/3200, C3 is 1/3200 and high fps mechanical shutter to avoid rolling shutter.
I did wonder. I never learned how to set up the custom modes, I'm permanently in M and just manually change the shutter speed, ISO, AF mode as required. I'm sure your way is more efficient, but am I too stubborn to change now? :unsure:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0