The Canon EOS R6 Mark II will be announced on November 2, 2022

Sometimes Canon releases a feature in a lower end body prior to their flagship. Quad pixel AF would be an interesting new feature for instance.

Canon likes to recycle sensors so I wonder if the current R6 sensor will then go into a RP replacement body (without EVF). That would be well received!!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
"RAW burst" is a key specification. How much buffer lag will depend on a combination of sensor readout + write speed, with write speed being the normal bottleneck. Firmware alone will not make this camera a "Beast" with 2022 nearing an end.
How much buffer do you need? From The Digital Picture that used Prograde 64GB V60 USH-ii SD cards in testing 2 years ago...

1667254497227.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Something is probably wrong with the R6 for this fast minor update. I just know on the original R6 the photo to video switching is crappy, i heard it still overheats, and there is no unlimited recording. I would hope those things are ironed out. Maybe it is more profitable to just make an updated version vs just a firmware fix.
It never stopped overheating. canon never claimed it did. I read this kind of comment a lot but canon were pretty up front about overheating times and while firmware updates got a fraction better they never changed anything dramatically and never claimed too.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I asked this before of another poster with the same silly hypothesis. How could the 'surplus sensors' (just laying around and not actually yet used to assemble cameras) from a camera priced $6500 and with correspondingly low unit sales possibly support even an initial production run for a camera priced at $2500 and expected to sell in far higher numbers.
I guess that would depend on how much it actually costs to manufacture the sensor. Some people assume that it's the sensor in the R3 that makes it so expensive, but that's only one component. I'd hazard a guess (and could easily be wrong) that the difference in manufacturing cost between a "standard" 24MP sensor and a BSI stacked sensor is no more than $500, and that the extra you pay for the R3 is *partly* a "premium" for having the latest sensor tech - and of course you are paying for a whole lot more including an integral vertical grip and better build quality. Canon habitually repurpose sensors in new models, and it's quite possible they might repurpose the R3 sensor and put it in the R6ii. Unlikely perhaps, but certainly possible.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I would like GPS to return. The 6D II had it.
I'd love for Canon to come out with an updated GPS receiver module that's smaller than the GP-E2 and uses the data pins in the multi-function shoe in the R3 and R7 instead of an external connection cord.

On that note, any word if the R6II will have the multi-function shoe? The rumored specs don't say either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sometimes Canon releases a feature in a lower end body prior to their flagship. Quad pixel AF would be an interesting new feature for instance.

Canon likes to recycle sensors so I wonder if the current R6 sensor will then go into a RP replacement body (without EVF). That would be well received!!
I agree. I think this is a smart move by Canon to set themselves up for future bodies. Upgrading the R6 without changing the price allows a much better R replacement while maintaining separation from the R6. Even that rumored R replacement with IBIS could be possible if it was still using the 5Div sensor. Also sets them up to use the 1DXiii/R6 sensor in the RP replacement. I think both of those would have been harder to do with the current R6.

I would love to see the R3 sensor in the R6ii but am excited to see what they put out either way. If it is a new sensor designed for the R6, it is still very likely to be the third best sensor in their lineup. When is the last time Canon put out an underwhelming sensor, the 6Dii? Turns out this Canon company is pretty good at making cameras if you haven’t heard.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I guess that would depend on how much it actually costs to manufacture the sensor. Some people assume that it's the sensor in the R3 that makes it so expensive, but that's only one component. I'd hazard a guess (and could easily be wrong) that the difference in manufacturing cost between a "standard" 24MP sensor and a BSI stacked sensor is no more than $500, and that the extra you pay for the R3 is *partly* a "premium" for having the latest sensor tech - and of course you are paying for a whole lot more including an integral vertical grip and better build quality. Canon habitually repurpose sensors in new models, and it's quite possible they might repurpose the R3 sensor and put it in the R6ii. Unlikely perhaps, but certainly possible.
I’m not arguing with the suggestion that Canon may use the R3 sensor in the R6II. They may, and if so great for R6II buyers.

I’m disputing your suggestion that the reason they used the 1D X III sensor in the R6 is that they ‘had a surplus of them’, and the implication that if they use the R3 sensor in the R6II it will be for the same reason.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I don't think anyone wants a $4000-$5000+ R6 Mk2.
It wouldn't add that much. besides. The post clearly stated it is the same price as the original but will have as yet unmentioned features that 'make it a beast'. While it may not be likely it is most definitely possible that canon might just throw an already in production sensor in it rather than developing and retooling to make an entirely new sensor.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
It wouldn't add that much. besides. The post clearly stated it is the same price as the original but will have as yet unmentioned features that 'make it a beast'. While it may not be likely it is most definitely possible that canon might just throw an already in production sensor in it rather than developing and retooling to make an entirely new sensor.
I mean, if it does end up with the R3's stacked sensor, we're in bargain of the decade territory, aren't we, even if Canon nerf some (or a lot) of the R3 features? Here's hoping. I think, more likely for the rumoured price, it'll be a simplified version of the R3 sensor. But fascinating to see what drops.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I mean, if it does end up with the R3's stacked sensor, we're in bargain of the decade territory, aren't we, even if Canon nerf some (or a lot) of the R3 features? Here's hoping. I think, more likely for the rumoured price, it'll be a simplified version of the R3 sensor. But fascinating to see what drops.
They made a "bargin of the decade' with the 7d2 back in the day. For all its faults it was a BEAST of a camera at a very good price and mine still takes great images even today. Especially on the really incliment weather days when I am too nervous to break out the R6

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Notwithstanding the statements by one person who claims stacked FF sensors are cheaper to produce than standard CMOS FF sensors but makes false assumptions because he doesn’t know how to look up Canon’s fiscal calendar, we don’t really know how much including a stacked sensor would add to the cost.

But even if it doesn’t add much, whatever it adds to production costs subtracts from profits. So it’s unlikely Canon would do that unless they feel there’s a compelling reason. Outside of a few forum dwellers, I doubt most people care whether a sensor is stacked or BSI. The fact that people here make a big deal about BSI when even manufacturers claim it makes little difference at the pixel pitch of current FF sensors is just more evidence that many forum dwellers are out of touch with reality, and don’t represent the broader camera-buying market.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Notwithstanding the statements by one person who claims stacked FF sensors are cheaper to produce than standard CMOS FF sensors but makes false assumptions because he doesn’t know how to look up Canon’s fiscal calendar, we don’t really know how much including a stacked sensor would add to the cost.

But even if it doesn’t add much, whatever it adds to production costs subtracts from profits. So it’s unlikely Canon would do that unless they feel there’s a compelling reason. Outside of a few forum dwellers, I doubt most people care whether a sensor is stacked or BSI. The fact that people here make a big deal about BSI when even manufacturers claim it makes little difference at the pixel pitch of current FF sensors is just more evidence that many forum dwellers are out of touch with reality, and don’t represent the broader camera-buying market.
I suppose the key words are 'compelling reason'. Perhaps they are looking at time scales and development rates (which in the technical age just keep speeding up at an exponential rate) and have come to the conclusion that in the next few years ALL FF cameras that rely on ES will have a stacked sensor. If that is the case they may decide there is no point releasing one without. As you said, we don't know how much an already developed and in production stacked sensor will add to the price of an R62 compared to a newly developed and produced non stacked CMOS sensor. Perhaps the difference is not all that big and canon are willing to absorb the cost in order to increase sales. on the other hand. Perhaps they don't. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I guess we will find out tomorrow.
I'm actually quite excited - for the reported price, this might be my move up from the EOS R. A sensor resembling that from the R3 (with all the caveats) would lessen the perceived pain of moving 'down' from 30 MP, especially if the new sensor had compensating features. As always, I'm one for waiting for proper reviews and comparison tests anyway.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I'm actually quite excited - for the reported price, this might be my move up from the EOS R. A sensor resembling that from the R3 (with all the caveats) would lessen the perceived pain of moving 'down' from 30 MP, especially if the new sensor had compensating features. As always, I'm one for waiting for proper reviews and comparison tests anyway.
I found that moving from a 7d2 to an R6 gave me cleaner images in all but the best light conditions despite the massive drop in resolution. In average conditions I can crop in to match the FOV of the 7d2 and the image is better than the 7d2. The difference in all the other aspects of the sensor and AF more than make up for a lack of pixels most of the time

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A sensor resembling that from the R3 (with all the caveats) would lessen the perceived pain of moving 'down' from 30 MP, especially if the new sensor had compensating features.
Canon claimed the 24 MP R3 sensor outresolves the 30 MP R sensor, and as an owner of both I found that to be true.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0