The Canon EOS R6 Mark II will be announced on November 2, 2022

I shoot with a lot of Zeiss, and using them on a mirrorless (R5) sort of made me fall in love with them all over again, particularly for using them while walking around.

The focus guide is quite nice as well.
Thanks, yeah that's kinda what I'm hoping. Not that I don't like them well enough now, but the EVF seems like a thing that really increases utility for MF lenses. Of course the improved AF makes me want to look back into some AF lenses too!

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Yes this is me. I admit it without shame. Likely wouldn't notice the difference between the current R6 sensor and 5DIII but it would annoy me knowing it's there. Man is a creature that feels emotion when he purchases things, Canon (and all other businesses worth a darn) knows this well and will probably make a couple thousand bucks off of me for the little MP bump.
Me too. 20MP is plenty 95%+ of the time, and I may still buy mki depending on discount, but for those occasions where making a heavier crop yields a more attractive photo than originally framed 20% more MP is meaningful. Digital teleconverter (if it's better than a gimmick) is also potentially interesting for someone like me without the longer lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I have to admit I'm confused by this. Apart from the extra megapixels, it doesn't sound like a big change.

It also seems strange to be updating the "baby brother" without a similar bump to the R5 - weren't they were originally released together?
A good marketing strategy to do a release in an unconventional matter. The year is ending, however the Japanese business quarter ends in March. Therefore that leaves 4 months for followup.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
There should be a major hardware selling point to get consumers off the sidelines for a major year ending purchase of a high end still camera. $2400 is still a high end device. Merely updating firmware with some fancy coding and algorithms won't classify this updated version as a "Beast". Spending one's year ending moola on a device and discover the awaited stack sensor roll out in following months. Canon made this announcement themselves.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A good marketing strategy to do a release in an unconventional matter. The year is ending, however the Japanese business quarter ends in March. Therefore that leaves 4 months for followup.
Lol. You make pronouncements about corporate aspects of camera production like the costs of producing stacked sensors, pretending you know what you're talking about. Yet you don't even know the basic fact that Canon's fiscal year ends 31-Dec.

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
My advice, FWIW, is that if you're happy to let Canon relieve you of $2000, it would be much better to spend it on a lens, than on a minor body upgrade. A lens will make a difference, and careful choice of focal length will allow you to explore new subjects in new ways. A new body won't.
I agree that one shouldn't buy a new body if resolution and image quality are the deciding factors, but I will say that the eye autofocus for R6 and the other newer bodies is a game changer to me that puts an upgrade to R6 at #1 on my list before glass. While pretty good, I rarely use RP's eye autofocus, because it can't track a moving subject well enough. R6 will increase my keepers on moving subjects. I did originally opt for RP over R for the purpose of spending more on lenses at the time which was a good decision for me and gives credence to your advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Canon's 24.1MP full frame stacked BSI CMOS sensor is gathering dust. Therefore saving it for a "Pie in the sky" camera 2 years down the road isn't a very wise move. In a few months it will already be a year following it's release in a device, and most likely two years following it's design and manufacture date, teetering on being technically a 2-3 year old sensor. Canon would be wise rolling it out and flooding the market.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Lol. You make pronouncements about corporate aspects of camera production like the costs of producing stacked sensors, pretending you know what you're talking about. Yet you don't even know the basic fact that Canon's fiscal year ends 31-Dec.
Actually the production of a stacked sensor is far cheaper than the manufacturing and assembling of plain BSI sensors along with their supporting active electronic components (not needed with the SOC). Yes, I'm quite knowledgeable with over a decade in manufacturing and R&D processes and over 42 years of experiance in the industry. Stacked sensors because of their ability to be manufactured in separate layers in different facilities and or by different manufacturers even and with separate runs, allow for manufacturing economization of resources. SOCs and stacked devices are THE choice and the defacto standard. Only niche camera and outdated platforms still use the dinosauric aged plain BSI image sensors. Primarily milking their inventory. The newer item "cost more" factor doesn't apply here. The manufacturing cost is actually lesser. Reason SOCs are used in 95% of all smartphones and other electronics, and now in their 3rd generation. And No. Canon is a Japaneses company. The Japanese fiscal year begins April 1st and ends March 31st.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
As for a "R5 Mkii" - the R5 is a superb camera, when it gets updated I'd expect only a few minor enhancements. Sometime in early 2023 we'll probably see the announcement of a hi-res "R5S", and I'd expect the "R5 Mkii" to be announced alongside it.
History says probably not. The 5DS/5DSR was introduced (in basically a 5D III body) a year and a half before the 5D IV. I do think an "R5S" is inevitable in that Canon is not going to let Sony keep the MP crown for too long. I just ordered an R7 to fill that hole in the meantime and an looking forward to using it with the RF 800mm f/11. Given the upmarket trend, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the "R5S" turn into an R4 (yes, I know about the superstition around "4") or even an R3S.

Upvote 0
Remember folks, Canon is not your friend. They're in the business to make money.

With that in mind, here's my theory:
  • Canon purposefully did not include a record limit in the most recent firmware update to the R6 in anticipation of MK2. The R6 will not get a record limit update.
  • The stack sensor is too expensive without adding $1000-2000 price increase, which would impede on R3 sales.
  • Expect the Mk2 to cost more than the R6, so $2800-3000
  • Expect similar performance in photos. If you take pictures there's no reason to upgrade.
  • The main difference will be a firmware upgrade that allows unlimited recording because they added a small heatsink internally.
The stacked sensor thing was hugely optimistic to begin with. There's no way they would impede on the sales of a camera that literally cost triple, even with reduced performance.

It's very likely that this is just what the R6 should have been if it didn't use the old 1DX sensor. I.e. the original R6 is "mk0" and this is "mk1".

Let's see in a few days I guess.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Actually the production of a stacked sensor is far cheaper than the manufacturing and assembling of plain BSI sensors along with their supporting active electronic components (not needed with the SOC). Yes, I'm quite knowledgeable with over a decade in manufacturing and R&D processes and over 42 years of experiance in the industry. Stacked sensors because of their ability to be manufactured in separate layers in different facilities and or by different manufacturers even and with separate runs, allow for manufacturing economization of resources. SOCs and stacked devices are THE choice and the defacto standard. Only niche camera and outdated platforms still use the dinosauric aged plain BSI image sensors. Primarily milking their inventory. The newer item "cost more" factor doesn't apply here. The manufacturing cost is actually lesser. Reason SOCs are used in 95% of all smartphones and other electronics, and now in their 3rd generation. And No. Canon is a Japaneses company. The Japanese fiscal year begins April 1st and ends March 31st.
Maybe you should look at Canon's website. They announced 3rd quarter earnings on Oct 26 (just time for accounting a September ending quarter). That sounds like a Dec 31 fiscal year to me. Since you got something that easy to check wrong, the rest of your argument is now open for question :).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If the only thing offered is a few firmware and algorithm coding updates that could be downloaded, the R6II may be woth leaving alone. Save your hard earned money for real hardware upgrade. Not merely firmware coding unless onless only simply has some moola to throw away.
Well if someone wants to buy a camera why not go for the MK2 over the MK1 at the same price? I guess I don't follow your point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And No. Canon is a Japaneses company. The Japanese fiscal year begins April 1st and ends March 31st.
The Japanese government has a 01-Apr to 30-Mar fiscal year. Japanese companies set their own fiscal year and are taxed based on their own chosen accounting period. Canon's fiscal year runs from 01-Jan to 31-Dec.

Canon.jpg

Here's a dollar:
Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 2.12.00 PM.png
...go buy yourself a clue.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Remember folks, Canon is not your friend. They're in the business to make money.

With that in mind, here's my theory:
  • Canon purposefully did not include a record limit in the most recent firmware update to the R6 in anticipation of MK2. The R6 will not get a record limit update.
  • The stack sensor is too expensive without adding $1000-2000 price increase, which would impede on R3 sales.
  • Expect the Mk2 to cost more than the R6, so $2800-3000
  • Expect similar performance in photos. If you take pictures there's no reason to upgrade.
  • The main difference will be a firmware upgrade that allows unlimited recording because they added a small heatsink internally.
The stacked sensor thing was hugely optimistic to begin with. There's no way they would impede on the sales of a camera that literally cost triple, even with reduced performance.

It's very likely that this is just what the R6 should have been if it didn't use the old 1DX sensor. I.e. the original R6 is "mk0" and this is "mk1".

Let's see in a few days I guess.
Quite possibly Canon realised they had a surplus of 1Dxiii sensors and knew that sales of that camera would decline, so putting a modified version in the original R6 was a sound economic move. It paid off, because the R6, despite its relatively lowly MP count, has proved to be a very popular camera. But they knew all along that they'd eventually need at least 24MP to remain competitive against Sony and Nikon, so a 24MP sensor is inevitable at this point. And of course you are correct that while the 24MP sensor will probably have some advantages over the 20MP sensor, 99% of enthusiasts won't be able to detect any difference.

Price-wise, I expect the R6ii to launch at the same price as the R6, and to see the price of the latter drop quite rapidly. I don't know whether your guesstimate of a $1000-2000 increase for a stacked BSI sensor is accurate, but there are factors other than pure cost, that would influence people deciding between R6ii and R3 - e.g. many people simply don't want the bulk and weight of an integral vertical grip.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Wishlist:
- remove 30 minute recording limit
- change the power switch to off/photo/video with separate settings
- take the rear dial from the R7 but keep the top thumb dial on the R6 so you still have 3 dials and customisable d-pad buttons
- let me add items to My Menu from the actual menu pages instead of having to scroll through a single giant list
- let me see the focal length on screen without having to take a photo and checking the shooting info

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Quite possibly Canon realised they had a surplus of 1Dxiii sensors and knew that sales of that camera would decline, so putting a modified version in the original R6 was a sound economic move...
You aren't the first one to float this theory, so try not to take it personally, but the idea that the world's biggest selling camera company is so astoundingly incompetent that they cannot accurately project the volume of sensors they need to manufacture for their flagship camera is just bat poop crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0